How'd it go today?

@Bioassay
The egg was untouched by hands. When the guys noticed it they held it in place with a twig till they uprighted the log and then carefully moved it out of the project area. All with mama watching closely. As to protocol, it depends on species. With that type not being on the threatened or endangered list we really don’t have to do anything. Being an owl though, if we would’ve seen it before the cut was made, we would’ve cut above and left a habitat spar for it. I was doing a job a few years ago and there was a pair of roosting screech owls in the tree. They shut the entire project down for months until the couple left.

Good job trying to save as possible.

My understanding is human scent makes no difference.

It would take some doing but maybe hoist the piece back up to similar elevation in adjacent tree, if there is one, and cobble a sheltering roof over the nest. Voila, karma restored :rockhard:

Pretty good day. I finally found some shingles in a treasure box so I can patch my roof. I'll have to get some adhesive from the hardware store. Getting ready to cut out. I'll hit the back of the farm and pickup some oak I split last year. It was supposed to be for the boss' daughter, but it was inferred it wouldn't get used unless I deliver it. That's not happening. I already did the hard stuff. I'm *not* gonna do the easy stuff too. More wood for me.

edit:
added a necessary word.

One man's trash....:)

I was on my way to my first physio session when the bread truck driver for the bakery I share a backlane with asked if I could reduce his spruce trees, particularly the co-dom. "Can we take it down to where it splits?" I gave the usual spiel about topping but realized that's probably why it's co-dom in the first place. Do I get on a soapbox for a 50' conifer that splits into two at 25' or do I re-top it, and call it a staged removal? It's right by the house and can be flopped across the yard when it dies during it's "shortened" (pun intended) lifespan. I'm assuming he'll want to top the one on the right to match which I think is roughly where the tip of the elm branch sags down. Either way nothing will happen for months yet with my shoulder rehab and how far we are from "spring" around here.

Capture.PNG

Boss has percs. Said he'd be back at 11, and we can do something if I want. I don't want. I'm gonna get some firewood and go home. I walked down the drive to look at a rotten pine hung up in a tree. There's another standing dead pine next to it. It's more involved than I want to get into today. I'm already sore, and need to recover for the weekend.

I'll climb over the rotten pine and take it down from the top. The standing dead I'll spur up and do the same. Nice tie ins all around with a cluster of white pines.

edit:
went home and did some trivial pruning of trees. I also fixed the a/v mount on my McCulloch saw. I had thrown the saw, and the mount bent. It wasn't a huge deal except it made the handle a little slack, and the choke lever would rattle off the carb. That also wouldn't be a huge deal, except the top cover's held on with three screws that are a hassle to take out. A quick release cover, and I might not have fooled with it. I flipped the mount over, and it tightened up the handle. Still seems to leak oil. I'll have to hunt down a small container I can drain the oil into when I'm finished. Keep it from oiling up the truck bed.

Last edited:
The good news, new 30', 11mm lanyard.
The bad news,
I was fighting some major moss and spiked my climb line, 30' from the end.

The good news, I was wanting to put new lights on one of the trailers...I think I have a set of LEDs..

The bad news, a miscommunication with my neighbor resulted in two broken lenses on my tail lights.

Haha.

That last pic is especially cool. The lens flare gives it an otherworldly touch, and the perspective makes the terrain look vast.

Back