How'd it go today?

That makes us feel better regarding the short lives of your hamsters. Like less of a failure. We thought 9 months was a travesty of hamster keeping.

Work has definitely been a waste of time. I’m kinda just driving from unqualified call to unqualified call. Even the quality ones are amounting to little (a sewer main I couldn’t open - usually only one every 3 years, a leak around a tub which was from rain and wind, etc)

I’ve got tree work I could be doing rather than riding around from job to job feeling like a failure. The lesson here is that I most likely put too much emphasis on work.

Dahlia's hamster is getting kinda old. Hoping for spring chickens before Hampstey passes.

Longevity is luck of the draw.

Death is a lesson in life.

Finished a difficult tree with a double-whip tackle with the POW for a long, heavy horizontal coming off a secondary trunk with a defect. I was not lanyarded to the rigging point, able to let it run enough that it wasn't hard shock. Definitely upsized to 1/2" stable braid. I've put a hard beating on my TreeMaster with lots of natural crotching.
Somebody underbid the tree.

Rotten base, future removal, possibly.

Brutalized (re-topped) 5 of 8 cedars in the water view, climbing one, traversing across to 4 others. Got down before the rain came, much. Some unusual thunder, uncommon around here.

I'm advertising for a tiny house or RV rental spot at my place. Got a lead on a couple... she's a Certified Arborist, as it happens.

Attachments

• 20230307_150206.jpg
    20230307_150206.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 7
Finished work early, split some cherry, and brought it home. I've got about 25% of next year's wood done.

My wood bin out back is loaded with some marginal oak from my fallen tree. It's not in premium condition anymore, but I worked for it, and don't want it to go to waste. I think I'll put together one more quicky bin, and that'll be my insurance stash. I shouldn't exceed that total amount in any year. Add in one open pallet staged to go under cover after the season's over, I'll have a decent setup. Found this guy today. Nice and creepy...

IMG_20230308_163546078.jpg

Actually made some money for the company today by installing an ice maker valve and tubing for a neighbor. Not the crap kit from Home Cheapo. A real 1/4 turn valve and real pex tubing. Do it right, once!!

Put more time into the cherry blossom tree 2 doors down. It’s just something I hit when I have time and priced it as such. These cherries are time consuming!! I’ll climb with the pole saw this weekend and finish it.

Signed a job for next weekend. Remove fence section. Tie into adjacent tree, support leaning tree in 2 locations. Climb dead leaner and piece out. Good practice tree. Plan may change on site. Could do some damage with a pole saw but want the learning experience. May have 2 tie ins in adjacent trees if angles allow.

Attachments

• A3EF8107-B310-46F9-9DB6-CEE371DC0108.jpeg
    A3EF8107-B310-46F9-9DB6-CEE371DC0108.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 9
Actually made some money for the company today by installing an ice maker valve and tubing for a neighbor. Not the crap kit from Home Cheapo. A real 1/4 turn valve and real pex tubing. Do it right, once!!

Put more time into the cherry blossom tree 2 doors down. It’s just something I hit when I have time and priced it as such. These cherries are time consuming!! I’ll climb with the pole saw this weekend and finish it.

Signed a job for next weekend. Remove fence section. Tie into adjacent tree, support leaning tree in 2 locations. Climb dead leaner and piece out. Good practice tree. Plan may change on site. Could do some damage with a pole saw but want the learning experience. May have 2 tie ins in adjacent trees if angles allow.

Are the fence(s)the only obstacles?

Root pulled, or grown that way?

I'd avoid climbing that, if possible. Looks very possible. Don't poke the bear, if its at all sketchy.

Don't lanyard into the tree. Use a breakaway, like a tested for strength zip tie(s) if you need some positioning support. Keep your climbing line tail clear of the tipped tree beind able to snag it.

Consider propping the trunk with a log, strapping the tree into a notched log end. Guy the dead tree back, possibly.

A Hitchhiker that travels up and down a rope without bending can be used on a slanted climb line, attached to the support tree on the left and a ground anchor.

Can you slide the tree down a zip-line (natural crotch, no hardware just pull up underneath the trunk, after pulling fence sections? Back-guy the zipline anchor tree.

I plan on a 4x4 post to prop it and a rope tied off just above the codoms. Tying into a tree on the left and right. Breakaway on my lanyard. Most of my weight will be on the climb lines.

If that seems too risky, I’ll get out the pole saws

Boss had paperwork, so I split wood and went home. I just split one load cause I was there. My back was starting to get angry, and I want it to be right so I can work on that maple Sunday.

I did some more organizing with my wood. The front porch smells good with the fresh split cherry. I also inspected my flowers. I planted one clump last year that I can't find now. I don't know if I misremember where I put them(I don't think so), or if they aren't what I thought they were(daffodils), or if they just didn't come up. My Siberian squill is also awol. I found one flower last week, but can't find it now, and none of tbe others came up that I can see. Maybe they need a real winter to bloom?

I built a stick teepee over my Japanese maple seedling deer ate the top of. I was hoping for the best that it might come back.

IMG_20230309_143014528_HDR.jpg

I think I see little buds starting! There's hope yet!

IMG_20230309_143210779_HDR.jpg

On a side note, a weak attachment point on a harness for a rigging line is a good idea.

Climbing lines are easier to manage by keeping the excess redirected out of the work zone, sometimes tied of with enough slack to get down in an emergency. Rigging ropes spent more time by machinery.

A free-falling piece of tree snagging the rope that is attached to a strong point in the saddle, could be trouble.

On a side note, a weak attachment point on a harness for a rigging line is a good idea.

Climbing lines are easier to manage by keeping the excess redirected out of the work zone, sometimes tied of with enough slack to get down in an emergency. Rigging ropes spent more time by machinery.

A free-falling piece of tree snagging the rope that is attached to a strong point in the saddle, could be trouble.
I’m not sure I follow, Sean. The Rigging attached to saddle that is.

Most parts of your saddle are tougher than you.

Weak attachment points/ breakaway points for attaching a rigging line are safer if your ground crew gets the rigging rope caught in machinery.

30-50 pounds average breaking strength attachment points for a rigging rope would be good, imo.

ONCE, my climbing line went into the chipper, while I was climbing, immediately after the safety meeting.
I had a lot of rope in my base-tied system, including 150 feet of stretchy Wraptor ascender rope. As I worked, the 150' stretched, and there was already some standing end on the ground... enough to get to the chipper.

Faster than I knew, from limbing up small dead redwoods limbs, canopy raise pruning/ deadwooding, waiting for the 2 ground crew to chip the small branches, I was jerked down, then rebounded up when my rope was cut by the drum chipper blades.
I was sling-shotted up, banging the Wraptor with the top of my helmet.
I smashed my trigger finger into the trunk.
I could have been speared by an old, jagged branch stub, in the face/ neck/ body, but came up lower that it.

My finger wasn't broken, but a bit damaged. I anticipate arthritis in it.

Made a video on my YouTube channel about the five most important rules (for how to calculate mechanical advantage) for simple mechanical advantage systems and how they can combine to form compound MA systems. For some reason it came out in SD after upload. Disappointed by that. I'll give it a day maybe.

Constantly content creating. Hit over 1k subscribers yesterday. Happy about that!

Came up with three hitch designs. Two involve using a Notch Quickie for additional friction. VT users might love it. Less reflexive, but still great response. Some people like that in a hitch.

Most of you already know I have an ongoing thread where I design hitches. For the uninitiated, here you go...

Last edited:
Swapped out my truck tarp today. I would have been happy if it lasted two months, but I'm going on eight months now, and it's still fine. I wanted a 'staging area' tarp for my climb stuff. Mike uses one, and I thought it was a little persnickety, but it really is nice to have. You have a dry spot to drop your gear, and it's easy to see where everything is cause it isn't covered with leaves/grass. The old tarp will work better than fine for that, so the new one went on the truck.

I'm now looking for my 20" bar. Going over to the maple tomorrow, and instead of taking a ton of saws, my 362 will work well for the bigger stuff, but it's wearing the 25" bar atm. Maybe I left it at work? The search continues...

Back