How'd it go today?

Put in 7 hours on the cherry blossom prune. I have 10 hours in it so far. I expected 8 hrs max. I’ve set lines in 5 locations to get to all the tips. It seemed like it would have been advantageous to do it in clusters. Mostly the Silky and a 15’ pole saw. I am the ground guy. Prune a cluster, cut it up small, back of the pickup, run the saw through the bed to eliminate ANY air space, repeat. It would have been quicker to remove the tree than prune it. At least that’s how I see it. When I’m done, it won’t looked pruned though and about 15% of the canopy will be gone. How long would you guys/gal be on something like this by yourself?

Actually, my 10 year old put in 2.5 hours assisting me shooting and line setting. He dragged brush, cut it up with loppers, and loaded the truck. He did very well. He’s saving for a new computer monitor after he broke the one Santa brought by throwing his controller on the desk after getting killed in Fortnite. He cried so hard I thought he broke a bone or somehow got a 3rd degree burn on 20% of his body.

Attachments

• 7E428974-2662-4CE7-8C38-782B705815EC.jpeg
    7E428974-2662-4CE7-8C38-782B705815EC.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 8
Wokeup at 3:30(2:30), wired out, and couldn't get back to sleep. I friggin' hate DST. DST proponents should be rounded up and used as slave labor. Breaking rocks outside for a couple decades should get them nice and tuned in to the movements of the sun, and maybe they'll realize the error of dicking around with the clocks...

Woke up at 5am, and realized it was 6am… changed the clocks and got out to the shop. Designed and milled the components for the face frames and cabinet boxes. Assembled the base cabinets yesterday. Making the base today. Concrete pad is not level, but it isn’t too bad - I’ll have to shim a few 1/8” to 1/4” dips. I had planned on using hard maple butcher block tops, but it seems they have become trendy and expensive! Might just do a two-layer glue-up of MDF and melamine, with hardwood edges.

05EDBD6D-ADF6-4197-A819-0B077C77A1C7.jpeg

C89C12AC-C622-41CC-B656-11A223137D60.jpeg

Same here. Woke up and realized it was an hour later than I liked. I haven’t changed the clocks yet. Almost talked myself into running to Home Depot but decided I don’t want to spend the money on a battery circular saw yet. Don’t really need one but I really like not having a cord. It’s snowing so I’ve lost my desire to do much.

Looked at the microwave clock. It said 730a, basically what time I thought based on the daylight.

Picked up my phone, realized it was 830 by the clock. It the door soon after, getting to my daughter's gymnastics meet at 10, in time to see her warming up. Competiton will start soon.

Got started on the maple removal. Kicked my ass. A lot of it was my fault not planning ahead. Not setting ropes that should have been set, and mediocre rope routing. Destroyed a playset. He said he didn't care, and it was rotted, but I didn't inspect it myself. He also said he didn't care about the fence, but it wasn't much harder to do it right, so I captured the branch, and let it down slow. The playset branch was pulled, and everything looked right, but it failed sideways. A thicker hinge was probably warranted for the heavy lean.

I sharpened my full chisel chain on my 362 yesterday, and it just about pulled me out of the tree :^D Honestly, it was a little too aggressive. I prefer the slower smoother cut of semichisel aloft.

Anyway, here it is. Looks like a lot left, but it's easier stuff clustered around my tie in. I spent 5.5hr on site today(not all working of course), and I doubt the remainder will take that long.

IMG_20230312_151843392_HDR.jpg

Finished trimming the cherry blossom. I was out on nearly every one of those tips. The manual pole saw got a workout as well. Widest thing I ever trimmed.

Sold a Norway maple deadwood and hangar removal. Lots of each. It should probably come down but understandably the family really likes it. It’s no threat to anything so might as well let it stay as long as possible.

I need to start looking into buying a trailer!

Attachments

• B7BDFA6C-A7B0-4EFD-A4C5-9E35331A69F2.jpeg
    B7BDFA6C-A7B0-4EFD-A4C5-9E35331A69F2.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 6
  • 74975735-777E-43D2-A607-58AE2B895820.jpeg
    74975735-777E-43D2-A607-58AE2B895820.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 6
Got started on the maple removal. Kicked my ass. A lot of it was my fault not planning ahead. Not setting ropes that should have been set, and mediocre rope routing. Destroyed a playset. He said he didn't care, and it was rotted, but I didn't inspect it myself. He also said he didn't care about the fence, but it wasn't much harder to do it right, so I captured the branch, and let it down slow. The playset branch was pulled, and everything looked right, but it failed sideways. A thicker hinge was probably warranted for the heavy lean.

I sharpened my full chisel chain on my 362 yesterday, and it just about pulled me out of the tree :^D Honestly, it was a little too aggressive. I prefer the slower smoother cut of semichisel aloft.

Anyway, here it is. Looks like a lot left, but it's easier stuff clustered around my tie in. I spent 5.5hr on site today(not all working of course), and I doubt the remainder will take that long.

View attachment 127717
Was the homeowner out helping and being your ground man?

Yea, he was. He also had his son in law(lives in the basement) help also. I felt a little bad for not being faster, but what are you gonna do? They were impressed with the ropewalking, and getting far out on limbs. I just wish I planned better for getting far out on limbs. I struggled my way through crotches to get to that side of the tree, and then I'm thinking "Now what...". Get down and shoot another line :^| Also needed a shorter rope. Dunno what I was thinking using my 200'er. It was always in the way, and had to cycled forever to clear it.

He said he'd get the long stubs you see in the pic. I said I'd do it, but he was pretty insistent he could. Probably wants to, so I didn't want to ruin his fun. I got the stuff that couldn't be reached from the ground.

Finally got some work in today. Got plenty wet as the rain would back off a bit, then drench.
Dug my parents truck out after work. Rain backed off just enough for the 45 min drive. On the way home, it cut loose again. Almost could not see out the windshield for all the rain and sleet mix. Full on thunderstom.
Should be able to get out tomorrow too. Working lower elevations if possible. Snow melting fast now. Ground is soup.
Stick to driveway clearing etc.

work areas range from 1000 to 5000 elevation.
I base at 3200. Mountain passes in my immediate area are at about 3000 feet. Dingo is currently staged at 2200.
4' of snow. Now mostly melted.
2200 elevation got 2-3 feet in places.
100 feet more up the hill got 5 feet.
Plus drifting.
All the snow happened in just a few days. In in just a few days, the rains have flooded most creeks as it melts the snow. Stay at home orders were issued during the worst. Creeks at lower elevations will probably peak Tuesday.
Many roads are impassable and some are gone.
Snow destroyed trees, power lines, broke power poles, structures collapsed.
We are in a state of emergency.
Funnel clouds keep popping up in the lower portion of those elevations. But had one at 2200 feet.
Fun Fun

Stayed home today. I thought it was gonna rain more(not really). I way overslept, and feel like I was dragged behind a truck. Getting ready to start trying to get a butterfly out of my promaster. I used that for pulling yesterday, and it's locked up tight. I forgot about my prusik I use for this stuff. I could have taught them how to install it. It doesn't get much easier than that. They were getting the distance on the rope, marking it with a marker, then sending it up to me to tie a butterfly :^D

A0D8639E-609F-4A3E-9737-54ECFEF63E55.jpeg 6B584155-C7C7-4248-A6FC-BFDDCAC445C6.jpeg
We were two picking trees and didn’t notice till I laid it down. Hope mama relocates the nest. And soon after karma bit me in the ass. I had four foot of boom to suck in yet and my external two block cable decided to break. Between the snow coming down hard and the damn alarm going off I pulled the ball a bit to far and broke the anti two block switch. I got back to the shop and have everything ready to put back together but decided I needed to walk away for the evening. I think I’ll eat a big bowl of ice cream for dinner.

@FireFighterZero That artic-looking tundra is stunning! Great picture! Thanks for sharing! May I ask where that was taken (just the country or state is fine)?

@treebilly Oh man, that owl is mad-doggin' you hard. She might even be grilling you like George Foreman. She's pissed. Either way, at the end of the day, it sounds like both of you really felt badly about what happened. What's protocol for a situation like that? What did you do with the egg? My understanding is that, once the scent of a human is on the egg, most birds won't touch it. However, I have no doubt there are some exceptions. I hope your karma has balanced after your dinner of frozen milk and sugar!

Back