How'd it go today?

People set logging cable-chokers for a roll, sometimes helping the log clear a stump where it lays, from what I hear. I'd have to ask 'Brother Charlie' what the real pnw term for that is.

I've driven a spike and wrapped rope to roll a log, but that was firewood. I don't want to spike a saw log.

That thought crossed my mind, but then I thought of several ways that could go bad. My dumbest move today was standing on top of the log and cranking on the cant hook leaning backward. I had my helmet on, but that would have been a nasty fall if the cant hook let go. The log's too big for the cant hook. I have to drive the spike in with a log to get it to grip.

So you became a human hammer.

Well first light I lost the top of the birch in front of my house, half of a hawthorn which I can’t stand but the wife loves, white pine damage, and that’s all for the moment. Easily 1/2” to 3/4” of ice, school cancelled again. Looks like cork boots and tire chains for the win.

The old man picked me up to get me out of the house yesterday. Went up to Princess Auto to shuffle around like old men who don't need anything but are still up and down every aisle. The website advertised a chainsaw users kit on sale for 20 bucks. 3 different sized files, tape measure, stump vise and other knick knacks I can't recall. Didn't see it and didn't really need it but got a 25' plumbing snake I can use for extracting dead rats made of human hair that seem to breed in the drains of the bathroom frequented, coincidentally, by the ladies of the house.🤔

Glad we didn’t get that storm.
Crane wasn’t tall enough today so we had to rig the tree out climbing and then hook to the crane. Long process but went smoothly. Got the brush off before the winds picked up. Then picked logs till quitting time. Played carpenter for a couple hours afterwards. The bad news I got today was that UPS opened an investigation on my missing package. It was my check for my log splitter I’ve been waiting for 13 months for. The manufacturer is being understanding of the situation and my build is still going on but it could delay my delivery. I’m not very happy right now.

Today is the day when in the Russian Orthodox tradition it is necessary to ask for forgiveness. I'm sorry. I sincerely wish you all happiness, prosperity and love. I wish you not to lose dear people. I wish you not to get upset over trifles. I want to banish sadness from my heart. May everyone forgive everyone on Forgiveness Sunday. May all of you manage to forget all the insults. Forgive me, and God will forgive you all.

Moved some wood around the yard. I also fixed fixed my pallet bin...

IMG_20230226_142136620.jpg

I milled a couple planks of white pine and put them on top. I have catfood bags stapled to those. I was using half rotten spruce edges, and they weren't too spiffy. I might mill a few more 1/2" boards. They're kinda handy for stuff like that. I prefer 3/4" for general use.

Went to a neighbors sons house to take a few limbs off a 100+ tulip poplar so they could drop the tree. We realized it wouldn’t fit in any drop zone so ended up cutting it into a shorter spar. Set their bull rope and took off to the next one. 2.5 hours from arrival to departure. Probably my fastest work so far but not fast by any stretch of the imagination.

Finished the blow down bucking project. Rob and I made firewood lengths for the homeowner so he could split it. 2 beeches. Only got the saw stuck twice and had to use wedges.

Sold 2 more jobs in the neighborhood for next weekend. Glad it’s picking up again!!

Attachments

• 65097495-B833-4781-8F53-301CB67D15A5.jpeg
    65097495-B833-4781-8F53-301CB67D15A5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 53D952A2-B20E-4E9B-A291-CA949461F3E4.jpeg
    53D952A2-B20E-4E9B-A291-CA949461F3E4.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 5
  • 3CD14061-E80F-46B1-897B-94C7B63A47BE.jpeg
    3CD14061-E80F-46B1-897B-94C7B63A47BE.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 5
  • 7698A1BD-4859-48A7-907D-5A0FAC55D480.jpeg
    7698A1BD-4859-48A7-907D-5A0FAC55D480.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 4
Things appear to be improving for me as of late. I've had a number of obstacles and challenges and dilemmas to face and overcome, but I'm committed to doing exactly that: overcoming!

I was supposed to spend the evening/night with my girlfriend, but sadly that will get pushed back until tomorrow. So, now I have to entertain myself all night. I'll most likely attempt to get as much cleaning done as possible so that my apartment looks presentable before Melanie (my girlfriend) arrives the next day.

I've found myself in a state of heightened inspiration latley insofar as developing new friction hitches and creating content for my YouTube channel. I just posted one of the hitch videos onto my thread. It incorporates a ring. I attached a photo.

I also went out and continued to practice rope walking and I now feel very comfortable with all of the motions and I can ascend relatively quickly now.

Other than that, like I already mentioned, the last few days have marked a period of great change for me; positive and important change. I hope that life continues on as favorably as it has as of late, but I wouldn't be shocked if I got hit with some kind of proverbial "curve balls." C'est la vie!

Attachments

• PXL_20230226_213505946.TS_exported_1867~2.jpg
    PXL_20230226_213505946.TS_exported_1867~2.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20230227_194952154~2.jpg
    PXL_20230227_194952154~2.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1
Today was pretty productive. Finished shoveling out the lower part of the driveway again now that the truck was down there and the plow stopped plowing. Then was able to go to town and get parts for the dingo to get it back running. Well, the hydraulics to the boom controls anyway. Kinda of hard to do stuff with it when the boom wont go up, down or curl and dump. Just a thing. So Rob finished putting it back together while I got more stuff done. Fixed Katys chains on the famoburban. Got it moved a tad where it has more of a chance of getting out and I have more of a chance in moving snow from around it.
So now we start the next storm. 12-24 inch kind with high winds. Should be fun.
I lost count how many baby goats we have now as they pick the worst weather to kid. I dare say I have not asked Katy if anymore are preggo. I know the cow is. Soooooo. I'm really hoping her timing is better. Katy pulled three more tonight after we got home and ate something. Had to go on a bottle run since I accidentally melted the two I just bought. Forgot we hid them in the oven from the pets. They love chewing on the damn things. I think I have chained up and off at least three times. Roads good to town, but not our driveways. Still a little slickery.
So it's started back up again. Think we already have two inches. See if we can keep the new three kids alive. We already re-homed one bottle baby of a triple kidding. Momma was a PITA and they were going to die since she picked a favorite.
So tomorrow starts with snow moving detail to try and keep ahead of the mayhem.
Phone is going nutz and about all I can say is when I know, you'll know, Ya know?

Last edited:
The logging gal and I cut Blackthorn off a quarter mile long historical stone fence and chipped it today.
My hands and forearms look like I'd tried to rape a porcupine............a male porcupine!
Damn, that woman can work. I'd bid it for a 2 day job, we did it in one.
I'm totally beat, hopefully she is somewhat weary, too.

I think trying to keep up with a young gal like that will be the end of me, eventually🤣

Or the gal that msgd me about her vacation rental where a black oak that fell over and took the power line. EMERGENCY!! With video attached. Same damn tree she had me prune and I had warned her it was in trouble and was
going to take the power line .....
Yeah, you did not even have the drive way plowed of 2 feet of snow. Three more coming and you want it handled this week. Referred her out and good bye.
The elderly ladies that called me to clean up a days worth of storm damage are kind, understsnding, patient. When we get there, greatful.

Back