How'd it go today?

Got off work early. Sold a trim job 2 doors down. Thinning, end weight reduction a cherry probably 50’ wide. Pruning a Crepe myrtle. I’ve never done a “fine pruning” job. I assume the crepe myrtle would be a fine pruning. Didn’t get into the cherry today but did the myrtle. It was fun.

Attachments

• 072798E4-A5EE-4AD0-8C7D-6B27F82763DB.jpeg
    072798E4-A5EE-4AD0-8C7D-6B27F82763DB.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 6
  • DC2B9A99-BFE3-411E-8216-903AE92380A4.jpeg
    DC2B9A99-BFE3-411E-8216-903AE92380A4.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 6
  • 8ED5F9BE-CA2C-485F-91B3-9D39FDA9FBF8.jpeg
    8ED5F9BE-CA2C-485F-91B3-9D39FDA9FBF8.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 6
Got started milling that oak today. Had to manually rip the sides off so the mill would fit. I didn't feel like taking the dogs off, and that wouldn't have gotten it anyway. 2.3' was my mill width. Had to stop a few times to pare some more off when the mill got stuck.

After taking the top off, I started the first slab, and saw bit of freshly cut metal on the top. I thought "that isn't good". Picked one up, and it looked like a piece of sawtooth. Dug my nail in, and realized it was soft. A bullet! I couldn't find where it was in the top.

That kicked my ass. What a slog getting through that. I have five 2" slabs, and about half the log left. Dunno what I'll do with the rest.

IMG_20230228_140853522.jpg

Might be. Could maybe make a couple posts. I'll sit on it for a little while. I really only needed one slab for the boss. He wants a counter for the stable office. Dunno what I'll do with the rest.

Had a dead squirrel in my front yard when I got home today. I guess it got hit by a car and made it into the yard. I hate seeing that. I really like my squirrels, and don't want to lose any. I hope it isn't the one with the nest in the cherry tree. I was watching that one a couple weeks ago carry leaves up to the nest to bulk it up.

Just as we were starting to think the boss was lying to us, the new bucket truck showed up. It has to go back Friday to get the cab doors properly aligned. I can’t believe that the truck was allowed to leave the freight liner facility like that or that the upfitter would accept it that way. I can’t believe what QC allows anymore.
Had a Vermeer 925 rented over the weekend. Wasn’t impressed. Talked to the dealer and he said something was wrong. Today Vermeer dropped off a ctx160 for me to demo. They can keep their grapple. Thing is a pain to use. I’m going to run the bmg on it tomorrow. Now the machine itself is a beast. I’m going to try and get some pics and video tomorrow. It’s going to be a fun day

Vermeer seems to be the big name that isn't particularly well liked. In each category, there seems to be better choices. Is that accurate?

Vermeer seems to be the big name that isn't particularly well liked. In each category, there seems to be better choices. Is that accurate?
I had my issues with Vermeer. Not overly fond of all the sensors on the chippers but I’ve learned how to diagnose which is bad and how to replace or bypass if needed. I love their miniskids. Still figuring out this new one but I feel I need one.

Today I focused my attention toward eliminating setback issues that can arise when tying the Schwabisch friction hitch while using a longer hitch cord. The resulting hitch has been dubbed the SETBACK SCHWABISCH. This workaround I came up with can cut setback in HALF via a simple and intuitive new tying method. Check out the video below. It's uploaded onto YouTube, however, it hasn't yet been publish publicly. I like to give all of my friends on here the opportunity to check out my new hitches and to provide constructive criticism when necessary before sharing it with the rest of the world. The video is only 3 min long and fun to watch! I'd be honored if you gave it a look-see! :)

Still digging out today. Roads are closed for Emergency crews and first responders. Power is out all over the county. Transformers blown. Lines and trees down. PG &E and the county plows had to cut their way into our neighborhood. Snow cat down on the corner following the crews in to get gear, equipment in and plow some road for the bucket trucks. received_695123698963800.jpeg

Stephen, that's a lot of snow and it looks heavy and wet. When the going gets tough you keep going as we've seen repeatedly.💪

Bioassay, while your hitch is situational, hats off to you for troubleshooting the problem. Most folks would take the easy/unimaginative route of a different cord length or hitch and be done with it. I can't fault your enthusiasm for the subject. My VT stays pre-rigged to my climb line and I don't know if I'd be able to re-tie it from scratch w/o a reference.:|:

Thank you, @Ryan !
I really appreciate you saying that. I'm sure some people might think what I'm doing is pretty pointless, but I see developing new hitches as kind of an infusion of art and engineering. I'll spare everyone from the soliloquy, but I think hitches and hitch cords are fascinating at a minimum.

Coming soon, I'll have a SETBACK FRENCH PRUSIK; the latest iteration of the "Setback Series," where I'll attempt to find methods for reducing setback for as many friction hitches (beginning with the most popular) as I can, but without affecting the amount of friction (or nip) in the hitch.

This will be a very laidback effort and it will merely be a passive portion of my combined efforts. In other words, it isn't high priority right now.
I want to shift my focus towards hauling/rigging/mechanical advantage systems and find new ways to incorporate progress capture via hitch cords and various mechanicals. As far as my current passions are concerned, pulleys are becoming harder to resist after testing positive for the Compulsive Gear Purchasing Virus AKA "CGP virus." The disease has caused short to mid-term damage onto my checking account, but thankfully, the doctors say I'll likely make a full recovery; the prognosis is good. :lol:

Changed my van's belt tensioner and oil/ filter for an upcoming road trip, picked up small and large wood, making small wood into much smaller pieces.

Picked up 50-60+ bare-root, baby, native trees through the conservation district annual plant sale.

GF's daughter's 5th grade science fair tonight.

Pho for dinner.

Typing in the How'd It Go Today thread.

That catches things up to date.

... after testing positive for the Compulsive Gear Purchasing Virus AKA "CGP virus." The disease has caused short to mid-term damage onto my checking account, but thankfully, the doctors say I'll likely make a full recovery; the prognosis is good. :lol:
What they don't say you to not undermine your mental health is that you will never fully recover. Actualy, the CGP virus induces the well known OCGD, which itself has a nice thread allocated here. :D

Work sucked. Earned $128 dollars for the company. Got home at 2:00 and sat on standby until 4:30. Got my 8 at least.

Started the cherry pruning 2 doors down. She’s a WIDE tree!

The Jed tribute T-shirt came today.

Attachments

• CBB8196E-C55E-4C60-8DCF-26B3E88FAB29.jpeg
    CBB8196E-C55E-4C60-8DCF-26B3E88FAB29.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 7935FD67-E6CE-4AE7-AC65-C6F320097D93.jpeg
    7935FD67-E6CE-4AE7-AC65-C6F320097D93.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
My Jed shirt came today too. It's a nice shirt.

edit:
I didn't do anything today. Went into work and played on the computer while the boss did some paperwork. It was about noon, and I told the boss I was leaving. He sounded like he wanted to go out this afternoon. That's not happening. I'm not gonna waste my time friggin' off half the day, then work til quitting, and get paid for half a day or less. Staring at a wall at home is a better use of my time, which coincidentally is about what I did. I listened to some podcasts, and superglued the ends of some hitchcord I recently got. Not bad day really.

Last edited:
Finally hit the top of the driveway and got Katys truck out. Levi has to shovel his own damn truck :lol:
Chipper aint coming out for a while. Rob helped ! My hands and legs were getting tired. My genny is kaput. Just locked up after I pulled it a few times. Thought hydrolock. Nope pulled the plug. Nuttin. So I need to get it ovrr to the shop and wrench on it. Rob working on gettin our smaller dump trailer out at the shop.
Power is back on but still out in a lot of places. Tons of work everywhere but you cant or hardly cant get to it. Gravel roads and most driveway still arent plowed.
Nutz.
We'll hit a couple jobs at lower elevation before the next snow Saturday night. Over another foot coming.
Looking forward to a shower!
Its the little things. Like water instead of boiled snow. 20230302_153303.jpg 20230302_153317.jpg 20230302_153338.jpg

Back