How'd it go today?

Sorry your friend is badly ailing, Austin. Good you were in touch. Probably one of the best things you can do is spend time together, by phone, video, or otherwise.

Yes. They have leveled out a bit but they are all still booked a year in advance it seems. According to whoever ran the numbers for him, it will pay for itself in three years. The property it’s on has a house that will become a rental, a 40x80 shop building that the mechanic is moving into, and two other out buildings. One will be for storage and the other is getting set up as a wood shop with lean to housing a saw mill. The wood shop/ mill is going to be for his personal use I believe.

Dave,
Have you ever dealt with Elderly Instruments in Lansing? A childhood friend, David Kornblum worked there for years. Advised me on how to repair my wife’s guitar.

Have you ever dealt with Elderly Instruments in Lansing?
Yes! I've dealt quite a bit with them over the years. Bought, sold, traded, etc.
I found both my current stand-up bass and my fiddle there.
Haven't been down there in a couple years though.
Been wanting to hit one of their monthly jam sessions this winter but need to get feeling well enough first.

Kinda boring day. More right of way clearing. Got started into the allotment area of this pipeline. Oh the joys of dealing with property owners.
After work I went and worked at the bosses pet project barn. He’s redoing an old bank barn to turn it into a venue. I helped the carpenter with sister if the existing joists and getting the starter row of flooring down. Carpentry is something I know enough about to be a good hand with and the boss gave me the go for all the hours I want. Plus I’m learning and doing something other than cutting trees.
Mini is still down. Still waiting on the mechanic to double check if it’s getting a new pump or just a control valve.
What is a bank barn?

A barn built into a bank. Gives at grade access for the first floor, with another floor below at ground level where the animals usually are.

edit:
08c9e931d2455ad2cd0238a19885e63f-giant.jpg

One of the things I got in my last order was a pair of Atlas gloves. I wanted to check them out, cause I've been using all cheapies. Nice coating on them, but the XL I got is simultaneously too short and too wide. I'll have to see how they work in practice, but I think harborfreight gloves with their peelalicious coating are the better bet.

Got my wesspur order yesterday as well. Nothing major this round. Got a bakers dozen of the winter buffs ( head gaiter, whatever they’re called) and a couple t-shirts. It was two days early. Shipping never updated till it was on my porch.

One of the things I got in my last order was a pair of Atlas gloves. I wanted to check them out, cause I've been using all cheapies. Nice coating on them, but the XL I got is simultaneously too short and too wide. I'll have to see how they work in practice, but I think harborfreight gloves with their peelalicious coating are the better bet.
Blue (thinner) and gray (winter) fit slightly differently for the same size.

Out of curiosity, what's the main reason you use a base tie? :)
Not having to isolate each leg. Wherever I go in the tree I can come down, untie it and pull it out, from either side, with minimal fuss.
And the physics of it being more like a fishing pole. With my size the chances of the TIP experiencing exactly double my weight are not extremely high.

Had a more challenging doug-fir removal today. Ridiculous growth rings for the last 15+ years. Phellinus pini/ white speck infected.
20230201_141207.jpg

Then helped "Brother Charlie" get rid of two super old fruit trees...well, left tall stumps for resprouting.

One was 80% dead ( one low horizontal limb was alive). The other was still alive, but also leaning hard toward the cow pasture fence, and having a decent amount of decay.

One cow came to my yard one night, years back, after escaping.

The pasture is along a unlit road where people are commonly going 50-60 mph, at night.
Dark escapee cows walking the road during a storm worried Charlie and his elderly mother. Problem solved. He has family for cleaning up, so I just made a mess and left.

Charlie just did a good bit of work on my chipper.

One hand washes the other.

Took sister on a trip to the store. After easily backing my truck into a rather small parking spot, I spent an hour watching all but one vehicle make 3 point turns entering their space forward, then another 3 point to leave. A few made it in a one shot but ended up crooked as all get out or way off to one side of the space and squeezed themselves out of the vehicle rather than adjust to the space. I was rather amazed only two of us had efficiently backed in and simply drove out when leaving...guess I'm easily entertained. :lol:

Later I took a page frrom the @Dave Shepard book of doing one small thing a day. Took the old corroded screens out of the sinks in the bath & kitchen. A bit later on I went to draw a glass of water, flipped the spigot all the way on like usual, and blew the cup out of my hand! yep, she's a-runnin' now!8)

Last edited:
I got to be like Bob today and demo some 14" in a tunnel today, oh the joy :lol: actually went pretty well, then grabbed some more firewood after work from my buddy's pile of logs, so there's another few weeks of free heat. Even fixed the zipper on my insulated bibs, some reforming the clasp and it works again, come on spring :lol:

I got this last June, looked for it for about 3 years. Kind of like Burn on the hunt for his Jag. It’s a 2011 Nissan Murano Cross Cabriolet with 24 thousand miles. The interior is perfect and the color is rare. Perfect little island ride although it not my everyday ride because my dog goes everywhere with me and I don’t want him ruining the leather with his slobber

Attachments

• DDA2F584-D76C-4C71-A999-858FC3433E51.jpeg
    DDA2F584-D76C-4C71-A999-858FC3433E51.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 8
  • 3D8EECEF-D1D7-4D6B-A93B-0C1176823437.jpeg
    3D8EECEF-D1D7-4D6B-A93B-0C1176823437.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 8
Another dull day with ROW clearing. End of the day was interesting though
C49DC1A6-A948-4BA9-9EF9-096E52E3A4C7.jpeg
Someone back a skid loader into a bc2100 hard enough to bend the tailgate into the engine. Had to replace the starter and fuel filter bracket. I’m sure a few other things as well. I just had to press it back flat enough to be used. I often wonder how some people have made it this far in life😔

Someone back a skid loader into a bc2100 hard enough to bend the tailgate into the engine. Had to replace the starter and fuel filter bracket. I’m sure a few other things as well. I just had to press it back flat enough to be used. I often wonder how some people have made it this far in life😔
I feel ya man. My chipper got backed into twice by the same dude, in the same truck, where the chipper is always parked in the yard. Still has not fixed the fender he said he would. Jack knifes trailers so often the utility box on the tongue has more than its original sides.
As you say.. . How do some folks make it through life.

Back