How'd it go today?

Sucks that you have Lyme. Hopefully, it won't lead to anything chronic down the road. I got it a bunch of years ago, and knock on wood, I've had no lingering issues.

One thing I hear is “if left untreated” regarding Lymes. I don’t understand this. By middle stages (my guess- doctors think early but they didn’t diagnose it either) I couldn’t function. I have no idea how someone could get to late stages unless my symptoms were more pronounced.

Last edited:
This is going back a long time, so the particulars leading in and out are a little faint. I remember not feeling real great at work. Nothing terrible on the lead up, but one day it hit me like a freight train. I was on the job grading bridge beams, and it got be where I could barely stand. I was *extremely* weak, and my vision was distorting like I was tripping. I barely got the beams graded(this was a very low bridge over a creek with huge precast beams, so little risk from height), and I had to have my partner drive back to the office.

I passed out in the truck when we got there. Eventually made my way into the office and passed out there for awhile. I made it home, got in the shower, and almost fell out in the shower. I also noticed my balls seemed to be swelled up. I've always avoided doctors, but all this got me really concerned, so I went to the PatientFirst clinic. They ran some tests, I made some suggestions, and they came up with Lyme. I got antibiotics of some kind which caused skin damage that persists to today, and I took some short amount of time off work. I can't remember how long, but it wasn't an entire week. I don't remember how long it took to get to 100%, but it wasn't excessive.

I never noticed any rashes, but I'm by myself, so a lot of my body is out of sight. Ticks are a regular occurrence, and there's been a couple times I've found engorged ticks on the floor or on my body. I have no outside animals, so it's clear where they came from. I have no idea what the incubation period was, but I'd say distinct symptoms coming in and out didn't exceed two weeks. It was a long time ago though, and my memory is faulty. I certainly didn't have the months of problems some people seem to have.

I know the antibiotics can cause issues if exposed to sun. You probably had Doxycycline which seems to be the preferred treatment. They warn you to avoid sunlight. Kinda crazy. I’m glad you have no repercussions from Lymes.

I know what you mean about the weakness. Lifting a limb was a chore.

Rebar is actually of a very specific known quality because it's use has to be engineered. All the marks and numbers mean something to the right person. It's just crappy if you are trying to use it off label.

Just started feeling better. I haven’t been on here in a while. Turns out I have mid stage Lymes disease. The antibiotics just started working this morning.

It’s a shame that the medical professionals didn’t diagnose this and I had to tell them what I had. When I mentioned Lymes the doctor said “it’s not like you’ve been in the woods, right?” I told him that I’m always in the woods. All of the symptoms fit: headache, stiff neck, muscle pain (hurt to move, felt like soreness from heavy workout multiplied by 3), rash (non bullseye type- all over body) , temperature, and fatigue. 2 trips to the ER, one trip to family doctor and a trip to a prompt care clinic and now we’re getting better. It looks like it didn’t spread to my heart but that will get checked in a couple months. The blood test didn’t come back yet to officially confirm Lymes but I have all the symptoms and the typical antibiotic for Lymes is proving effective so………

I’m going to work tomorrow hoping that my body will allow a full day. At least I’ll have a helper. Hopefully I can start that large tree job mid next week in the evenings. It will be good to get off the couch.

Rico on TB knows a lot about Lyme. There have been discussions there, possibly here, including him.

They're my favorite insect I (somewhat)commonly see. Walking sticks are really cool too, but I've only seen like two in my life.

They're my favorite insect I (somewhat)commonly see. Walking sticks are really cool too, but I've only seen like two in my life.

Young Richard rescued it out of a stock tank.

He later found a nice tree for it to live in.

It's so terrible here...he shoulda gone the other way at Albuquerque.

Did some boundary work today. Went to a Caribbean/soul place for lunch. I was surprised boss went for it. He has the diet of a 2yr old, and if he hasn't had it before, he doesn't want it. He of course got the blandest thing they had; fried lake trout, with coleslaw and fries :^D I got curried chicken with rice & peas, plantains, and collards. It was pretty good.

Found this chain in the treasure box last week...

IMG_20220926_134410598.jpg
Checkout the tiestrap. It's marked with the drivelink count. I thought that was pretty cool. My saw/bar collection is getting hard to manage, and it would be cool being able to check the drivelinks at a glance. Chain looks good. It only needs sharpening. I forget how many drivelinks are on my 16" echo. I don't know if I can use it as-is, or if I need to break it and make it shorter.

Seemingly sold a cable and brace job, and likely a pruning job, on referral. The second set of homeowners is asking if I'll travel to their daughter's house for some pruning in town.

Sent the last of my stockpile of cedar logs to my sawmiller neighbor, Brother Lennie, in Brother Charlie's dump truck. Had to rip some big logs down today, and cut to length, cutting out a bunch of checking from a couple years of sitting.

Did some outdoor organizing, prepping to get some gravel.

Did some figuring on treehouse lumber needs, and lumber needs for a greenhouse hoop house kit that will provide a bunch of outdoor storage. Got it from some friends in trade for helping with some tree stuff. Need to haul some fir logs over there to the sawmill, too.

Probably put a few more hours into Charlie's last Lombardi poplar removal, tomorrow, after about 2 hours the other day. They have had time to clean up. The cows LOVE the leaves, stripping all the limbs bare. Dry grass and hay, this time of year.

Ribbon cutting ceremony for the now complete mariners memorial tonight. Most of the actual construction was done by volunteers and local businesses and contractors who donated time and equipment. IMG_20220926_181824_HDR.jpg
This is a picture of the Star of Bengal, a canned salmon packer that was lost on the rocks off Coronation island just west of here. Over 100 lives lost, IMG_20220926_184623_HDR.jpg most were Chinese cannery workers heading home after the season.

Beautiful weather today but I’m with a bunch of knuckle heads. I just watched one of the crews fight dropping a spar for 20 minutes while the crew I’m with is on a break. I’m making prevailing as an operator so I can watch all day. Giving these guys fake numbers on my capacity because they can’t cut for shit and don’t grasp what I’m telling them. It’s gonna be a long day😔

Last edited:
Nice, but cool here.
Course is closed again today.
Hung out in the woods doing ball retrieval for a few hours, then stopped for breakfast on the way home.
Guess we'll open tomorrow for a regular league we have.
After 7 years, I'm sure going to miss this job whenever it ends. This has been the most enjoyable season there yet for me. :)

Time flies!!

Sorting, stacking, inventorying lumber. A bit of clean-up before gravel delivery on Friday.

First rain is expected tomorrow.

Going to try out my Titan root grapple that I bought 6+ months ago.

Breakfast/ Lunch time/ break time.

Last edited:
Flush that looks like a good one!

I see your 4' wide mat path for the lift. What do you do about getting the chipper close to the tree?

Beautiful weather today but I’m with a bunch of knuckle heads. I just watched one of the crews fight dropping a spar for 20 minutes while the crew I’m with is on a break. I’m making prevailing as an operator so I can watch all day. Giving these guys fake numbers on my capacity because they can’t cut for shit and don’t grasp what I’m telling them. It’s gonna be a long day😔
Lordy there's alot there to 'unpack'. :rockhard:

One Q I have is what do you mean they fought re the spar- meaning they had difficulty doing it due to low skill etc or they argued over who was going to do it? I'm guessing the former;)

Back