How'd it go today?

Another half day, which has been pretty typical lately. Hot as hell, but a bit of a breeze, which is rare around here. Boss might have a lead on a chipper. All I know about it is it's yellow :^D It's on a farm, so maybe it isn't huge. I guess I'll wait and see.

Starting a $12k job today, 3/4 of which is one tree removal. It's not the most I've ever charged for one tree, but it's definitely in the top ten. A big job for just two of us. And it's gonna be hot and humid. On the bright side, new chipper blades!

Yesterday, we did all of the other pruning since the tree removal permit was still pending approval. Finally got the permit yesterday afternoon and started on the removal this morning. Got all the branches/chippable stuff off. Just have to rope down the big wood tomorrow. Here's your pics, ya freaks...

Bunten1B.jpg Bunten1D.jpg Bunten1.jpg Bunten3.JPG
That last pic was around lunchtime. I forgot to take one at the end of the day.

Sorry, I'm not seeing $8k of tree there. I would have taken the hour to pull down the chain link fence for easier access getting the debris out.

Annnnnd the diesel blew a fuel line today. Oh well. I would probably too if I had 300,000 miles on me. I would image with new injectors the fuel is more solid in the line now and found a weak spot. Of course it was the drivers side so AC pump, Vacuum pump and power steering pump all had to get out of the way so I could pull their engine bracket to access it. Since I have a leak in the PS pump, I bought a replacement and HP line. New fuel lines (yup, bought both sides) will be here next week. I could probably go down to the valley and score them at the dealer for way more money. Or have then made at a place an hour away IF they have the fittings. It's ok. I'll just install them Tuesday.
While I was waiting for the engine to cool (just barely got it home breathing diesel fumes in the cab), I put some new parts in the F350 to make her run better and readjusted the timing and idle. SO off she goes to work in the morning and keep on keeping on.

How well do bradford pears handle being topped any time of year? When is the worst time, and do you think they would grow back well if topped in late summer in my climate? We usually cut them year round, but I've never been back to any that I can remember to see how much they grew back when cut in the summer.

Spot just left me a mouse head. She's very proud of herself when she makes a kill. I hear a "Rawwl, Rowwl, Rawwl, Rawwl...", and go look outside to praise her, and see what she got. I like hearing it at night, cause it means it's a mouse. Daytime's a little iffy. Could be a bird, bunny, snake, or squirrel in addition to mice and moles. I really only want her catching mice, but I guess you gotta take it all. At least she eats all her kills. She doesn't just kill frivolously.

Back