How'd it go today?

Started with a quick fell and leave so a woman could get new gutters.

Climbed 10 tall firs for pre-sale view improvement at a waterfront property over the past couple days.

A couple traverses, one across a madrona, finally used my Grapnel for the first time to move my rope to the next tree... I couldn't find my unused Epple hook for this project, two jumps to limbs on adjacent trees to grab.

Only had to drag one western redceder's limbs into the immediately adjacent woods from a canopy raise.
Finished!

615-815p, did an pressing fell, dice up and leave job for a newer customer who is having a modular home delivered and needed the access road cleared.

Busy day tomorrow, then vacation until August 31st.

Not a great day yesterday. Humid as shit. Went to a job, turned the 4x4 switch on the new truck, and 4x4 isn't working. Got stuck(ish), and I ask the boss what's in the tall weeds. He's more interested in telling me how to drive then tell me what's in the weeds, so I step on it in reverse, spin it around, and slam the truck into an earth dike, crumpling the exhaust. That got me into better traction, so I could drive out.

Pisses me off that he runs his mouth, and doesn't listen. He does that shit on the construction jobs also. This company has never had anyone better than *me* doing construction work, and that includes him. He needs to learn to STFU, answer my questions exactly, and do what he's told. If I want free form suggestions, I'll ask for them.

Anyway, I've got reservations about this truck. It's got a vibration at idle, and no 4x4 is a deal breaker. That's something I'd quit over. I spent most of my career driving shitty hvac vans that get stuck in wet grass, and non 4x4 pickup is just an hvac van without the storage. I'm done with it. I've got some leads to explore fixing the truck myself. Might be as simple as electronics if I can track it down. I don't think it saw hard use in it's previous life, but it was exposed to NY winter, so there's a lot of rust/corrosion. I don't like autowork, and don't have the skill to be good at it, but if I can fix it myself cheapish, I'll go ahead and do it. Otherwise, we'll see how the future goes. I won't be surveying without 4x4. Including my personal use, it gets engaged at least once a week, and I'm done doing death marches to get to the project to start work.

Yikes!

Sometimes a person does best to specify what kind of response they are looking for.

How many feet can I drive before there is an obstruction?

For me, it is sooo simple to have someone tell me that I need to go about 1.5' to the passenger side and 8' back to hitch the trailer to the truck.
If I am assessing how far to move the truck to hook up the trailer, I do that exact thing, Otherwise it would take 17 times in and out of the truck.

People often want to direct you as though you can see through their eyes and/ or that you can see through the truck.

Damn!!

Tragic.
I would use the word tramatic. Katy and Lilly lost it. Dogs licking up blood from the floor. One dog covered in blood trying to mother the kitten while Katy assessed injury.
Now the one litter mate that played with her the most is walking around meowing looking and calling for his sister. Could not sleep last night soundly. Poor thing not 10 weeks old.
God forgive me.

I would use the word tramatic. Katy and Lilly lost it. Dogs licking up blood from the floor. One dog covered in blood trying to mother the kitten while Katy assessed injury.
Now the one litter mate that played with her the most is walking around meowing looking and calling for his sister. Could not sleep last night soundly. Poor thing not 10 weeks old.
God forgive me.
Dude walk away! Go camping up in the hills for a few days, go take a reset break, something you need it.

Kid and I headed south to help out a friend. Seven skinny Sweet Gums and a Cherry all hanging over/near the pool fence. His filter system has clogged every 3 days for the last 4 weeks. Had to climb most of them, as they were all 60+ ft. tall, and lots of lower limbs over the pool fence, with a tight drop zone (as there is a muddy pond to one side, and many were tall enough to hit his deck with the angle I could fall them). Dropped tops out of half the Gums, Masdaam'd them all over, then went over to the Cherry. Stem split 25 ft. up, half over pool, half leaning back towards neighbors utility lines 15 ft. away (and still 30+ ft for each split top). Did a funky notch (cut most of the way through, but left in place), and when I did the back cut, it started to topple towards the pool, the notch shot out sideways, and the whole top did a 180 and fell straight down on the pool deck and softly up against the fence. Dropped the back leaning top with a no notch cut, and it stood there, and a little push had it fall straight down beside the stem, avoiding going back to the lines. Kid and friend in the pool were impressed with those maneuvers. Still have 4 more trees to drop along the fence line another day, but he's much happier for now.

So you know what makes Wisco different from other places? I was talking to my wife’s Besty who works for a beer distributor and every year there is this music fest for four days called Country Thunder, and that one distributor sold 8,000 cases of beer in that four day period. Or 192,000 beers in four days and that does not include booze sales or the other brands of beer that they don’t carry. Epic amount of beer!

Peoria used to make more beer than Milwaukee. We still have a bunch of ethanol, including the non water part of skyy vodka, but it's not what it once was.

I got this stuff yesterday...

IMG_20220807_083230136_HDR.jpg

Not posting in the gear thread cause it's stupid, but I thought there might be some interest. The oil was $60 on amazon, which I thought was a good price. Not as good as the $54 I saw there a few months ago, but still pretty cheap. I usually use stihl silver, but a lot of people seem to like the redarmor, so I thought I'd give it a try. I need to make myself a mix bottle to measure oil. I'm thinking a plastic spice jar with graduations etched in so I can cap it and not make a mess. I currently use the measurer on a 'squeeze and measure' bottle, but it takes a lot of room just to use the measurer.

Otherwise, another shitty humid summer day. Getting ready to get cat food, and play with trouble codes on the truck. I was wondering if clearing fault codes would allow 4wd to engage? I doubt it, but that would be an amazing fix if it worked. Beats a blank til it gets fixed right.

Back