How'd it go today?

Birthday dinner with family friday night then worked Saturday for part of the day then home to relax on my birthday. Caught up with a friend for dinner on Sunday and had a great time planning a few trips away together, original birthday plans went out the window when I ended things with my partner. Been a rough few weeks ending a relationship then juggling study and settlements of a new build unit being brought forward 2 months.

In the next town over is the Great Swamp National Wildlife Refuge, and throughout the 2 main roads through it are Turtle X-ing signs. I've saved 3 or 4 there myself over the years and constantly see many others driving through. It sucks when it's a Snapper, because sometimes you can't encourage them nasty things to move faster.

Today kind of sucked. Left the house this morning, and it felt like someone shoved a stinky wet wool blanket in my face. It went downhill from there. 92°, and 80% humidity where I was working. Driving stakes in rock hard ground for curb. Felt like I was gonna puke and almost fell on my face a couple times getting lightheaded. Finished it, got gas, and left the hatch open on the tank. I never do that. At least I didn't leave the hose in the tank. Been in a daze the rest of the day. Can't remember if I fed the cats. The girl acts like I haven't, but I haven't heard from the boy. Hard to tell with them. They're both porkchops.

Busy plumbing day. Looked at a large storm damaged oak. Told homeowner I couldn’t do it with my gear and experience and let the other guy do it. It had a near horizontal 80’ subordinate over the neighbors perfect and large Japanese maple. Maybe with a GRCS and a few more years experience?

Good call on not taking the job. Better to be more certain, than taking it and squashing the maple. People remember the asshole that dicked up the job more than they remember a job well done. Pics would be interesting though, to see what you were looking at.

I was driving into work this morning, look at the passenger side, and see a spider with a fully developed web. It wasn't just a couple strings. Must have missed it when I was putting my stuff in. I wanted to get picture when I got to the office, but as I drove, the spider furled the web, and disappeared behind the visor. It's like he was never there. Never seen anything like it.

Busy plumbing day. Looked at a large storm damaged oak. Told homeowner I couldn’t do it with my gear and experience and let the other guy do it. It had a near horizontal 80’ subordinate over the neighbors perfect and large Japanese maple. Maybe with a GRCS and a few more years experience?
It is the experience more than the gear. Good call.

I've used my GRCS 2 times, once for fun, once with the bollard for negative blocking. A truck can tension tension a line with a POW, like many other machines., achieving the same effect. I have seen pics of a truck rim used as a bollard...not recommending it, but I bet it can work with minor welding to fair lead and prevent wraps jumping onto one another...talk about good bend radius.

There will be a time that the GRCS will be invaluable.
People did lots of tree work before GRCSs.

John, pictures of the tree I passed on. It’s the one you came to help with the night of the storm. I really don’t think the pictures do it justice. I like Sean’s idea about lifting with equipment.

Attachments

• D411A9FB-159C-4880-AB99-9499683D49CA.jpeg
    D411A9FB-159C-4880-AB99-9499683D49CA.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 7
  • E9FA5277-AAAD-469B-8C2B-A987E893C17C.jpeg
    E9FA5277-AAAD-469B-8C2B-A987E893C17C.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 7
  • 978B5950-0938-4806-BA1B-BB5FFB552912.jpeg
    978B5950-0938-4806-BA1B-BB5FFB552912.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 9
  • BDBA6699-C561-4ED4-823F-A86F59D5183D.jpeg
    BDBA6699-C561-4ED4-823F-A86F59D5183D.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 9
Ah, so they've decided to get rid of it? I don't remember exactly what it looked it, and I'm a little unsure looking at the pics, but how about a line over the top of the stem and tied out towards the tip, then a butt tie with a block. After cutting haul the tip up, and drop the butt down. Doesn't look like a great angle on the tip, but maybe? I'd be interested in hearing opinions.

Yeah, it would have to be pieced out with tip and butt ties and swung back toward the trunk in a balanced fashion. Or, pieced out from a lift. Even better, picked with crane. One day I hope to be able to climb and rig like that.

I've suspected for a while now that the trail I hike regularly has a couple of small quarries on it. It was very common around here to just go in the woods and get enough stone to build on the property. These could be a couple hundred years old. Without disturbing the moss on the blocks to look for tooling marks, this was mostly speculation. Today, I found proof. Right on the trail I found four 1" drill holes in a row. I wonder why they stopped. That was a lot of hand work that went to waste.
20220719_180803.jpg 20220719_175418.jpg 20220719_175425.jpg 20220719_175538.jpg

Day five on removals in a mobile home community. Most likely tomorrow will be more of the same BS. Cars in the way, no one will answer a door, and such pleasant folks when they do get around to moving. Two more days and it should be done. Then I get to service the crane on Friday. Also need to find a bad spot in the wiring on the boom. When it rains the thing tells me I’m 2 blocked and I have to override the computer. I have no issue with reading and comprehending the load charts but that god awful alarm won’t shut off for more than ten seconds. Replaced the switch a few weeks ago so it has to be the wire.

Back