How'd it go today?

I spent the day packing truck and trailer for a month of logging camp on island Møn.
With a 5 person crew to run, I'd better not forget a single thing.
Looks like we have some large Beech trees coming up, so I have packed my camera.

This yearly thing is the hardest I do.
10 hour days with the big saws make me remember that I'm not 25 any more.
On the other hand, hard as it is, it is a wonderful break from the daily routine.

Get up before sunrise ( 4.00 AM) and hit the woods at 4.30.
Log like crazy for 10 hours, then shower, a big dinner ( The owner cooks for us, and man, can she cook!!!), shoot the breeze till bedtime and on the job again next day.

Knocks me flat, but I really love it.

Dave
Those new batteries might just need their chips reset.

Google how to revive portable tool batteries. There are many videos. You might need to find a working one though to reset yours.

And I think this fellow is Edward Scissorhands:

Reset a battery

Removed a freshly dead 40-50’, 20” dbh sassafras today. Second time rigging. First time with targets Used natural crotch with groundie friend Rob on the portawrap. Took the whole subordinate trunk down with positive rigging. Then it was time to remove the main trunk and it’s branches. This was all negative rigged- first time for that. It was also Robs first time on the wrap. Of the 3 upper limbs 1 I just dropped with rope assistance to make sure it stayed between the shed and fence. I wanted that weight off before subjecting the upper part of the tree to shock load. The other 2 came down well and I didn’t get shaken too badly. Not a lot of room to let it run. Negative rigged the trunk and dropped it with 10’ left. Everything went smooth. I’m just excited to have “graduated” to this level and have this skill to keep practicing

I made a video so I could see what went well and not so well.

Next purchase is a ringed ultra sling. Working that long loopie and CMI block was cumbersome.

You might want to consider splicing your own sling. It's probably the easiest splice you can do. You'd save a bunch of money, and open up the possibility of customized gear.

I know what you mean John. At some point I’ll give splicing a go probably. I just don’t do tedious things well and will gladly open my wallet so I don’t have to put myself through it🤣.
Eventually, peer pressure will force me into it I suppose?!

Back