How'd it go today?

Finished up 6 different estimates, and did some recon on getting new rubber for the Ford (not looking forward to that bill). International is also due for maintenance, which always ends up in 4 figure land. Looking forward to June when I have full time summer help so bill paying isn't so "hectic".

Add-on: Fun little 65", twin stem walnut straddled by utility lines on both sides. One of the estimates I got the green light for today:

View attachment 120610
How is the world of sales and estimating going for you? Had you sold tree work or other things before you started your biz?

Jim,
Hope your Dad recovers well.

Mike,
With those TOH’s: when I was doing the coursework for the Pennsylvania Dept of Agriculture permit for SLF ID and inspection their recommendation was leaving one female TOH, treated with a systemic as a “lure” tree. That can kill off a whole lot of Spotted Lanternflies.

Got a new front-control dryer and glued up a laminate-covered work surface for over the washer & dryer. The piece of ash I used for the front edge came from a tree I took down back when EAB was first killing trees north of us.

It’s intended to be a place to ‘fold laundry’, but it’s likely to never again be this free of clutter.
We donated our old top-control dryer, along with two air conditioners and a vacuum cleaner to a group re-housing families who lost their jobs and homes due to the pandemic.

8C00C341-D7E9-40D2-96DC-B16677706C5A.jpeg
52572F2D-D1B4-4BF8-A2F1-1B2D25E970F1.jpeg

Been zipping around on the bike today, doing estimates, buying maps and exchanging Kroner to Euro at the airport.
Now I'm packing the bike.
We leave for some high alpine driving in Austria on friday.

Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse has been on my motorcycle bucket list for a while.

I have 11 other pass roads lined up for us to try, so if the weather holds up, it should be a fine trip.

There is a map store in Copenhagen.
Has everything from simple road maps of every country in the World to historical maps if one wants to see how the World used to be.
I drive by GPS, but for an overview I like a map.
I haven't been to Austria since Der Mauer fell in 89, so it is pretty much new territory for me.

Historical maps sound interesting. I'd like to have a store like that around here. A project I've been thinking of is overlaying old quad sheets on top of a modern map(digital) to see how things used to be, and how they compare. Not sure how accurate the old stuff is. Might be hopeless trying to reconcile the two.

I got groceries. That was my big accomplishment. @pigwot, I got you some bugs. I put that oak in a bag, and just took a look. There's a few in there...

IMG_20220514_172900707.jpg

How is the world of sales and estimating going for you? Had you sold tree work or other things before you started your biz?
My parents were both salespeople, so it kind of runs in the family. I get plenty of referrals, but about 2/3 of my estimates go nowhere due to competition/pricing. I avoid pricing too low just to get the job. My rep is building, and am starting to get more repeat customers. Thankfully most of my customers are patient, as it's tough scheduling with limited help.

That's is supposed to be a good ball park for cold calls.

Repeat customers are easier and easier with every passing job leaving them happy.

Sounds like your dance card is full.

The calibration of estimated time versus real job time is challenging.

Oh, we saw some bison today between Lolo and Florence. Have you ever considered raising them?

Large discussion here re raising buffler:

Did a short rec climb today at a Tree-O-Cache site...

IMG_20220515_113239775_HDR.jpg

Pretty nice tree. I think it's a swamp chestnut oak. My new rainbow bridge works good. Same as the old bridge of course, but I like the way it looks.

Found a tiny engorged tick on me after I got home. That came from work. I felt it yesterday, right behind my arm. I started digging at it today, and got the body off at least. You don't get this bullshit in my weather. No mosquitoes, no ticks, no skin cancer, and we won't even mention the stupid grass. Why is summer good again?

Wondering what this vine is on my house, any thoughts? Tempted to just yank it out and throw it in the garbage, but if it’s some kind of trumpet vine I might relocate it. I can get it away from the roof and wait til summer to see if we get pretty flowers.
5F23E638-D905-4C7D-AEDB-72C16D2A7B00.jpeg 93E8EE08-53C4-4656-AC6E-5E0473634BA8.jpeg 7F786387-7F5F-439E-86F5-D4C613E9461A.jpeg

I think I've seen it before, but don't know what it's called or if it flowers.

Off to a rip roaring start today. Pulled up to the job, and everything quit but the motor on the truck. Threw a belt because the idler pulley disintegrated. One of the guys drove my boss to the parts store for another one, and I'm waiting on him.

Mixed luck I guess. If you're gonna have a failure, this was absolutely the best way it could have happened. Better than the middle of nowhere on the interstate.

Back