How'd it go today?

There's some cool legs on etsy. Pretty spendy, but good for special builds, and unique pieces. Good for ideas also. Might be able to find legs at more local antique shops. I used to go to PA to look for antiques. The stuff up there was more inline with what I find interesting. Farm, and utilitarian type stuff. Not so much "fine" antiques.

I planted some black locust 30 years ago. No where near log size yet. They regrow fast in a grove where there roots are common. We have a tree in our back yard that is about 100 years old. I let a sucker grow about 50 feet from the tree. Amazingly fast growth.

There is a grove on the next door neighbors. A lot of old trees and pretty thick but not much more than 16 inch diameter and they tend to be not nice and straight even when crowded.

Mike,
There is an Amish producer of cast and welded legs not far north from us near Quarryville/Lancaster.
My friend has the info; I'll ask him for it today.

Also, I awoke today to good news about that photo - and a link to the DropBox folder with the original images!
Poster print to be ordered soon!

A couple other photos from that morning.
Last photo: Homeowner, Grandpa Joe (ten years older than me - one of my best groundsman - came out of retirement for the day), and me.
IMG_0588.jpeg
IMG_0598.jpeg
IMG_0612.jpeg
IMG_0618.jpeg

There's some cool legs on etsy. Pretty spendy, but good for special builds, and unique pieces. Good for ideas also. Might be able to find legs at more local antique shops. I used to go to PA to look for antiques. The stuff up there was more inline with what I find interesting. Farm, and utilitarian type stuff. Not so much "fine" antiques.

Just learn to turn wood.
Legs are easy.

John, I may do the black iron pipe legs. On the oak. Cut, threaded, and installed miles of screw pipe anyway so it wouldn’t be hard. You’re right about the industrial look with a nice piece of wood- looks great

Pat , contact info would be awesome! I’d like a little more rustic design for the cherry coffee table. Great pictures! Glad you were able to get them!

I have about 80 or so slabs to work/play with so it will be fun doing a variety of styles

Stig,
I thought of wood turning but no need for another addiction!

Forgot, D&J hardware is up there also. Amish hardware store. Really good prices. I get hardened 40d & 60d nails from them for work. Last time I was there, I also got a 100oz can of TruFuel for $13.50. I try to keep some on hand in case I run out of corn free gas. I need to go up and get another can, and finish the one I opened. Stuff doesn't last forever.

Got a Sabres vs. LA Kings game at 1pm with the kids. These Sunday afternoon games are supposed to be pretty family friendly, not so much heavy drinking and fighting. The players can fight still lol not the fans though hopefully.

I took Drew to his first game when he was 5. He had to pee so I walked him to the men’s room and there was some guy laid out on the floor bleeding from his nose and mouth. That was not a Sunday afternoon game.
Drew is 20 now, hard to believe.
Time flies.

Saw a post yesterday from a guy who's company was called Tree Wise Men. I asked if he used to hang out here on the Treehouse about 10 years ago. Last night Derek Jeter responded from Australia. His screen name was Awsomeclimber. He had lost the link to the forum (He was using the www.gypoclimber.com address) and I sent him this way. Hopefully he rejoins us.

There is a Harford County MD company named Tree Wise Men. I can’t remember the owners name though. If someone said it….. Wonder if it’s the same person?

Bit of work in the lead up to Christmas. Mate tuning the 20 tonner whilst I climbed and scarfed trees.

Attachments

• IMG-20220101-WA0014.jpg
    IMG-20220101-WA0014.jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG-20220101-WA0019.jpg
    IMG-20220101-WA0019.jpg
    480.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG-20220101-WA0018.jpg
    IMG-20220101-WA0018.jpg
    564.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG-20220101-WA0014.jpg
    IMG-20220101-WA0014.jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG-20220101-WA0013.jpg
    IMG-20220101-WA0013.jpg
    455.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG-20220101-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20220101-WA0009.jpg
    441.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG-20220101-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20220101-WA0001.jpg
    692.8 KB · Views: 7
Why at night?
We were shutting down 2 east bound lanes and then running contra flow on the westbound lanes, it's next to a major airport and freight route so to minimise disruptions was done at night. Plus half of the trees spread out over 3-4 lanes of traffic so had to do a few complete road closures at times.

Thanks, team leader took them and then sent them to me as I was to busy working away. Had 5 about that size along with a whole heap of other trees to remove. Been an interesting project as at times I've been hanging off the side of a bridge to install lights for animal relocation measures

Had a lot of rain last night and this morning. Tapered off early afternoon and gone now. We did a late start to avoid the heavy stuff but still ended up wet. I was able to stop at the local provision and get 4 briskets. They were on sale and I was out of them. Might put one in the smoker this weekend. One goes to my brother and the other two the freezer. At work between me and the office manager we were able to find a spider lift to rent for a month. I’m leaving about two AM Wednesday morning to drive to somewhere near Chicago to pick it up. Two of our truck drivers wanted a hotel to make that run. Load doesn’t fall under motor freight laws so I’ll turn and burn and be home by dinner.

Back