How'd it go today?

Just went out back to dump ashes, and saw I have a bunch of pine limbs down, as well as a hefty hanger in the tree. I thought I made it through the ice storm unscathed, but apparently not. It would be a good day to fool with it, but my back's not feeling good. Dealing with the ash Friday /seemed/ to fix my back, but I guess I overdid it. I'll probably get the pine some time this week. I have to bring my climbing stuff home. That wood sure looks juicy :^(

We have some of that juicy wood in our yard too! Took the 395 to it a couple hours ago

Broke a few personal climbing records today. Including: highest srt climb, highest climb, highest chainsaw use. For some reason I categorize such things. I guess it’s because I’m pushing myself physically, mentally, and emotionally and want to track progress?

The task was removing a dead Poplar limb overhanging our little trail to the wooded area outback. It was 90’ up. Piece took almost seconds to hit ground.

This is the tree that could take out the house that will be removed once I’ve attained the experience and courage.

Started srt ascent and got to 80’. I couldn’t mentally go further. Wind gusts at 27 mph. Abandoned climb but had a fun repel.

A few hours later, put spurs on and flip lined up with the srt line as backup. Hit 90’ and did the deed. Hung out and took in the view then back to earth. I’ve always mentally wanted 2 tie ins beyond a certain height. That number is increasing though.

My son did a little MRT Spider-Man action a little later (with his new helmet. Thanks for the recommendation John) . Then my 7yo daughter climbed a little.

Attachments

• A2EE8AB1-5C4A-43D2-BB75-EF2A9440BD15.jpeg
    A2EE8AB1-5C4A-43D2-BB75-EF2A9440BD15.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 10
  • 448B5583-D45D-4D00-A9E0-E8DA4F0F3450.jpeg
    448B5583-D45D-4D00-A9E0-E8DA4F0F3450.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 11
  • 786425EE-C011-48F2-9E68-9055EA3CC3FD.jpeg
    786425EE-C011-48F2-9E68-9055EA3CC3FD.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 11
You guys and gals actually helped me with those records today. I knew I’d have to tell you if I couldn’t get it done. Wanted to be able to post about a successful mission. Thanks for the assistance!

Edit: Also helped much with guidance and information

Last edited:
I think being on spurs that high would bother me more than ropes. I've been in some stiff breezes with the pines I've been doing, and the trees are moving a good bit, but the ropes dampen the sensation of movement. On spurs you get the whole experience.

I slept in a few hours and didn’t really do much of any importance all day. Split a small load of ash to refill my patio fire pit stash, cleaned the chimney, and did most of the Sunday meals. I fried doughnuts for breakfast so that was kind of important. I decided that spreading the snow pile over the drive and watching it melt away was needing done. Made me feel better watching it and hopefully winter disappear.

With the spurs I moved in synchronization with the tree and was twice as secure- literally. My inner voice shuts up with 2 tie ins. Without the spurs the tree and I moved at different rates and my brain had a hard time dealing with that.

But, I was fine last week at 60’ with 50mph winds. Go figure.

We almost all have our days when climbing is sublime and we are fully comfortable, and then our days when the opposite may be true.

More experience increases the number of the former and reduces the latter...but for me, the less confident day, or tree, or few minutes always lurked out there no matter how many years I'd been doing it.

Operation Jump Start has begun. I have an Anderson connector on the Jeep and cables in a rope bag behind the seat. I've just gotten my first pile of parts so that I can add them to the sawmill, edger, and backhoe. The backhoe will have long cables stowed in the front to reach the other equipment. Eventually I'll have a 12vdc fuel pump, and you will need an Anderson plug to run it. The tank will be in reach of the sawmill, also, so I won't need to have a battery and solar panels etc. to fuel equipment.

20220228_125728.jpg

I reckon have as many tie ins as what makes you comfortable for the job. On two jobs lately I had three, plus spikes. Jobs are done, money is in the bank.

Didn’t know that’s what they were called either. The trucks and chargers at the plant use them. 24, 36, and 48 volt setups. All different sizes so nobody can accidentally plug a 24V truck into a 48V charger or whatever. Some interesting fork trucks around there.

Didn't do much today. Just a couple hours of surveying. Worked on my rigid tether for a bit. Sitting in the office, it looks like it'll work better. Need to try climbing on it to double check rope clearance. I made it 8" hole-hole, similar to the Lawton tether, but I'm afraid it might be too short. I guess I'll see. Also cut up a bunch of ash on that job I was at last week. Brought a bunch home, and I'm setup to load the truck with rounds now, so I can pop in and grab some wood when I get a chance.

A little Tenex with a locked brummel on each end to form an eye and some tape to really stiffen it, then marine grade shrink tubing to hide all the tape would probably work well, I might try making one tonight. I need to order some more shrink tubing, all I got is a couple feet of clear. I like black and blue.

A turnbuckle with eyes, not hooks would probably work well.

You’re using wood?
A rotary rasp in a drill or die grinder is nice for shaping and removing excess material.

A bench grinder would be the thing to use, but then I'd have to go in the basement to use the bench grinder :^D

I'm just taking it down with a knife. My problem(?) is I have to shave the wood around the lower eye, and I'm concerned the loss of bulk will make it break easier. It's ash, so it may be more robust than I'm giving it credit for. Dunno. We'll see next time I go up a pine.

edit:
That turnbuckle is an interesting idea. Even if the metal doesn't work great for whatever reason, I could play with different lengths to see what works best.

Good job. It doesn't look completely awful considering the material you removed. Will it fill in over time?

I found a new saw in the scrap metal bin again...

IMG_20220301_121101.jpg

Probably the same guy that ditched the poulan I found. Idle was cranked all the way in again, so it started up screaming, same as the poulan did. This thing makes the poulan look like a Stihl in comparison. Holy hell it's a piece of junk, but it's a running piece of junk. I still should tune it in wood, but I may not. The gas I put in it is worth more than the saw :^D Little use. I don't think it wore out two chains judging by the spur, but it didn't have a chain when I found it. I put a half worn poulan skip chain on it, and the boss has his very own saw now. Hopefully he won't hurt himself with it. He can use it for trimming little stuff, or cutting fence boards. I'm charging an hour of time, and that includes giving him the chain, so not a bad deal I don't think.

Back