How'd it go today?

Brought home some more ash. I'm getting into some gnarly pieces, so I had to give up splitting for the night. I could feel my back starting to get weird. I have at least two pieces I'll have to split with a saw, and a couple big rounds to go. Got a little more than .5 cord so far. I think I've gotten all the easy stuff. The main stem's still there, but I'd have to take a big saw, and split it in the field, Dunno if I feel like going through all of that.

Working on my driveway and barn drainage, moving excess driveway rock to a wood chip parking area that's been chronically wet, so marginally or inaccessible during the wet season.

Loaded logs to take to my neighbor's Hud-son bandsaw mill on Th.

6x6 20220301_102351.jpg 20220227_153215.jpg Trellis posts for grapes and kiwi, and fencing.

Trading milling for logs.
I have way too many cedar logs, and other saw logs.

Been pruning some elms at home.

Poor weather lately.

Did my usual boring stuff today. Brought my spruce slabs home from work. Had some time, so I started working on the ground stuff for my busted pine. Don't tell Burnham, but I one handed my rear handle saw. There was another hanger with the butt almost touching the ground, but it was hung up in a big vine, just a little out of reach. I didn't feel like getting my top handle, and it was /almost/ there, so I clipped it with my echo cs400, and the limb dropped.

I'll climb it tomorrow or Friday, get the high hanger, and try to clear out some of the vines. I'm debating on deadwooding it. There's already a bunch of beefy stubs from ice a few years ago, plus the new ones. I've been kind of leaving them as an emergency firewood source. If I totally run out of wood, I can always climb the tree, and get some nice dry pine. Probably enough for a long day, maybe a weekend. I'll see when I get in the tree.

David! What did you do?!😎

Well I laid a whole spruce on the ground after the truck filled for the last time today. I’m going to have to show the guys how to walk through the limbing process rather than what ever they were doing. The 1800 is a decent chipper, not ideal for crane work or bushy spruce, but still a good machine. Now the BMG is irritating me. It’s closing fine but is not opening proper. Acting like it’s bound up and not every time and not at the same position. The root rake grapple is working fine so that eliminates the machine. No lines pinched or crimped. I’m wondering if those flat faced fittings could be going bad or if the cylinder is bypassing internally. I’ll see if I can swap the lines out from the other grapple in the morning. The coupler end is a different size but maybe the cylinder ends are the same.
Really it was a good day. Just frustrating. Oh well. Tomorrow will be better.

Diesel jumped .50 in one day here locally. Can’t have anything to do with Putin’s and Biden’s patty-caking can it?

I filled the chipper and a diesel can today, $3.85/gal. Then drove around to another pump because the tank is on the other side of the truck, $4.19/gal. They upped the price on me that fast. The pump stopped at $74.34, usually they stop at $74 even at Mapco. I only got like 17 gallons, and the pumps don't like you reentering a card at the same pump.

That's my receiver that goes on my pallet forks. I was moving a gn trailer at the mill and it must have bound up. No damage to trailer. I'm going to weld a plate on the top of my forks with a 2 5/16" ball on it. Maybe one on my bucket, too.

David! What did you do?!😎

Well I laid a whole spruce on the ground after the truck filled for the last time today. I’m going to have to show the guys how to walk through the limbing process rather than what ever they were doing. The 1800 is a decent chipper, not ideal for crane work or bushy spruce, but still a good machine. Now the BMG is irritating me. It’s closing fine but is not opening proper. Acting like it’s bound up and not every time and not at the same position. The root rake grapple is working fine so that eliminates the machine. No lines pinched or crimped. I’m wondering if those flat faced fittings could be going bad or if the cylinder is bypassing internally. I’ll see if I can swap the lines out from the other grapple in the morning. The coupler end is a different size but maybe the cylinder ends are the same.
Really it was a good day. Just frustrating. Oh well. Tomorrow will be better.
I had a problem with the BMG sticking and my issue was I tweaked one of the tines/smaller jaw.

Back