How'd it go today?

I remember going to a dental implant conference back in the day and the presenter just loved that word. Every time he brought up a failed implant invagination was the word but more in-VAG-i-nation with a creepy tone like his inner six year old was at the helm of his brain.

Went to mom's today. She's not doing so great. Aside from the chronic whining, she's falling a lot more, which causes more whining, but no action doing anything. She needs to exercise, and suck it up and deal with the pain. She doesn't listen to me though. Also, her breast cancer has returned, but she needs to see the doctor for details.

Dunno... My daughter(she was there tonight) might be able to help out, but she'd have to quit her job, and make taking care of my mother her job. She's a CNA, but has been tending bar the last couple years. The two story house isn't working out great, so something will have to be done. Moving her ass would be a stellar first start though. I think time's winding down...

A couple random thoughts... I've got a couple little cedars I stuck a stick by so I didn't mow them over, but I wasn't sure what I'd do with them. Figured it out tonight, at least part of the way. My irritating right hand neighbor turns the side light off and on on the house, and helps ruin my outside experience. I'm gonna put one of the cedars on the top of the hill in my line of sight from my fire pad and their outside light. Should help a bit in ~10 years... Beats a blank I guess.

Black oaks are fantastic trees. They hold onto their leaves forever, and it sounds great when the wind blows a little, and the leaves flutter. That tree out back really should come out, but I can't bring myself to do it,,, yet... It's ~3' from my eave, and leaning over the house, but it's really cool having it there. Maybe it'll outlast me.

Light pollution is bad here. Can't see many stars. I did notice 3 jets that appeared to be on exactly the same line and altitude fly by at ~15 minute intervals. Made me realize, I don't really know how sky travel works. Is it like a highway, where planes always stay "in lane"? That would be efficient I guess, but I always thought it was slightly more random. Maybe not :shrugs:

Slept in a bit today and then ran to Menards to grab a pickaroon or sappie since @lxskllr had brought them up lately. I don’t know what came over me last night but I checked online at all the retailers till I found one. After a few minutes it has become one of those tools that I should’ve bought years ago.
Had the kids all out riding today. All three of them wiped out at some point today. My oldest blamed the dirt bike when she hit a spruce tree. The younger two just flopped over in the mud. They were on a little electric bike though. No crying from any of them and they all hopped back on and kept going.
Then this evening I took my old fridge to one of my brothers so he could have one in his garage. Then I tightened every ceiling fan in my house. Blades on every one were so loose that they needed a bump start to work. I should’ve switched one out with a new one but I’ll do that later this week. Gotta spread out that honey-do list to get the most bang for my buck😉

That's a productive day! Hahaha on the kids wiping out...out having fun, good for them.
Cool on the pickaroon...let us know how it does.

John...advice from a really old guy that has always harbored a streak of vigilante somewhere deep under his 'follow the rules" usual persona...:)

If the offending outside light is inside 75 feet range, any old school BB gun will do. The air rifle wins on nearly silent effect.

If the bastard light is outside that range, you'll need to infiltrate under darkness and cover to do the deed. Closer is better, so you can still go with the air rifle. I'd avoid any true firearm...only stupid kids shoot stuff with their BB guns. Leave the real arms to the extra stupid grownups :D.

It would be almost admitting to a crime, though the statute of limitations has to be long gone by now ;)...but as I recall, one might perhaps dissuade a neighbor with an offending nearby outdoor yard light by killing it several times over the course of a few weeks from spending the $ to replace it yet again. If you go this route...a tip. Sidle around to at least 90 degrees from your own place; 180 is even better. Even dumb bunnies can figure out line of sight forensics :).

And here is the grown-up Burnham part of the story, from a different place and time. We lived on a different property in the former story.

Here on our place, maybe 25 years ago, a new owner to the next door property put up a giant halide security light in front of their barn. The damn thing was at least a 1000 feet from our house, but it lit up our bedroom like a Hollywood film set. I just visited with them, explained the issue, and asked if they maybe could put the light on an as needed basis rather than "dark comes, light is on until dark goes".

They were more than accommodating...even dropped by to tell us they had stopped on their drive nearest to our house on their way in the next time they were out after dark, and were stunned at the lightshed from that security light. They moved the light within a couple of days to the opposite side of their barn, discovered it lit their bedroom much brighter than it had ours, and not much later in a driveway visit, reported that they quickly decided to shut the light off unless they needed to be out at the barn.

So maybe, John...might you be able to find accommodation with a face to face talk?

Last edited:
Just up at a cabin in the mountains. We went snowboarding today but it was pretty cold. -12c. So we only stayed a few runs. We are meeting a friend tomorrow so it will be a longer day.
Now the kids are playing monopoly and Stine is melting snow on the stove for washing and stuff.

49DF2CCF-A69B-4A78-998D-B80C6138A786.jpeg 4E60692D-C408-4D23-A777-39A50795D906.jpeg

Last edited:
33-35c and gusty winds forecast for the end of the week, grass is curing fast and there is lots of it...could be first total fire ban of the season coming?

Some dead ash. One I wanted to go up 30 feet or so and drop the top half, but my spurs sank to the hilt on my first step. I was very skeptical when I saw the shrooms, so oh well, sorry bout the dent in your muddy yard, probably should’ve called me 5 years ago. Then I took a pic of a small ash we dropped that had some very different mushrooms, thought it was cool looking.
Then there’s a pic my friend took of me 3 feet off the ground. Not a terribly impressive pic lol
03EA62E4-3A8B-419F-9152-9DD2975DB52C.jpeg 209B614D-9405-4600-99D9-787C8CF9F42C.jpeg AC86FEF0-8817-4030-A5F6-386AF5748B03.jpeg

Back