How'd it go today?

Depressing. I grabbed sleds and ice skates at garage sales this past summer, because I knew my niece from Texas would be here for Christmas. Poor girl is bored. I want some snow, and frozen ground so the dogs don’t get so muddy.

How'd you mess up corn muffins? Those are pretty easy as far as baking goes. I haven't made them in forever, but I like using iron cornstick pans. Gives you a lot of crispy edges.

Sooo....there is this commercial compost called 'who Flung Dung', it's quite aromatic to put it mildly, but it does a great job keeping the bunnies away from my new corn AND the blackbirds from taking dust baths and stealing all the newly sown grass seed on my lawn repair!
So funny to watch the birds sulking off to the side, they just can't figure out the aroma and the temptation of that new fresh soil and seed, its hilarious!

Woke up to a cold house this morning. Outdoor wood boiler sprung a leak. Not surprised, it's what they love to do.
On a more positive note, the 3 button on my microwave started working again. Now I can cook my chili for the full three minutes, instead of just 2:59. :/:

Had to layout some piles today. I can never get a full week off :^/ Oh, well. Got me out of the house. It was raining off and on this morning, and if I didn't have to leave, I probably wouldn't have. Milled some spruce at work. It's that one I took down awhile ago. I thought the rope choker might make the wood interesting, but not really. Didn't look like much. I went with 1" thickness instead of the ¾" I did on the stuff at my house. I need to find a place to put it.

20211229_151004.jpg

edit:
Forgot. The guy I'm doing the wood moving for stopped by while driving home. I was switching bars on my 661. They're pleased so far with the work that's been done, and the guy was impressed with my haul system moving logs. He said he'd sit inside and watch. I'd rather Jerry say he was impressed with something I did, but I'll take what I can get :^D The haul system isn't anything, but good enough to fool the natives I guess. He also wanted me to look at his saw. Said he couldn't get it started. He brought up a ms170, and a I got it going with a bunch of pulls. Just took time. He had drained the tank, and without a purge bulb, it takes longer to get it going from dry.

edit2:
Oh, and the cow that was gonna go in there has been shrunk to a goat so far. That's *much* more reasonable, but I'm still skeptical that's gonna happen.

Last edited:
I don't think I have that option. I can push 3 to get three minutes, etc. Hey, it was $60, 12 years ago. Now, the light has come on in my gas range and won't go out. Must be the mice have eaten that, too.

We had more rain overnight and my firewood area is already a muddy mess. My goal for the week was to have everything cut and stacked for splitting. Making good progress but finding my motivation a bit lacking this morning. Almost lunch time and all I got accomplished was sharpening the 462.

I used to lay chips down in that area. About a six inch coating every year. Made it nice to work on and never worried about finding dirt with the saw. Problem is they hold so much water and the pallets would settle down into them. The soil down there is almost black now.
I did get motivated and actually got a lot accomplished. Found my stash of Osage orange that I brought home a few years ago. Damn is that stuff dense. Pickaroon didn’t like it at all. Almost had to swing it with two hands for some of the pieces.
Gonna hit it hard again tomorrow. I have to meet with a guy to look at a tree mid morning. I’m off but I’m also the only one with the qualifications to be inside the gates at the chemical plant. The other two guys are out of state on vacations😡. Should be quick. I just need to measure, take pics, and draw up a map for the work zone. Basically a traffic control plan with emergency procedures written out. Need to submit everything by Tuesday. Really not a big deal, I worked there for two weeks this summer and am used to the protocols. After that it’s a round of putt putt with the kids. Or maybe putting around on the bikes and quads if it dries up a little.
it was a beautiful day😎

The last batch of locust I broke my sappie on was unbelievably hard. It was the second one I got, and I thought the tip wasn't sharpened as well as the first cause it wouldn't stick. It might have been a hair duller, but when I tried it in the locust I had cut previously, it worked fine. It was those particular trees that were hard as hell.

Back