How'd it go today?

30 to 60 miles off shore of the Cape It's part of the Mendocino fracture zone. Easily a hundred quakes a year come from there, that you can feel anyway, and many more you can't.

It's the norm really, but this one actually got the house rocking and talking.

Good luck with the shoulder, Brian. I tore my rotator a few weeks ago trying to start the wood splitter. Can't get comfortable in bed. Ruining my sleep.
With my last one I discovered that laying on your side with a couple pillows in front of you to lay your arm on helps keep the shoulder aligned instead of pulling forward. That was after I was able to sleep in bed. Slept in my recliner chair for a few weeks.

If it was me I’d plant another post mid way back on the end walls (Red) and run a header (Green) between them. The front and back header I would triple up on, a three ply header. (Blue) In the center of the middle header I’d put a removable post (Yellow) to be put in place in the winter for snow load, it could be permanent if it isn’t in the way. Those roof joists being spliced are a weak point. You being in CT = snow hence the middle header. All headers should be double if not triple.

View attachment 116849
Thanks for the comments.

Hang on, Jerry!

Was backfilling stump grinding holes today and backed into a hole on the loader while spinning the steering wheel knob. Jerked my shoulder bad and now I can barely lift my arm. Feels like my other shoulder when I tore my rotator cuff 3 years ago. It's been tender for a week or two from working on my truck but now it's bad. Hope it feels better in the morning.
try homeopathic arnica montana... drop a few pills in a glass of water and sip throughout the day.

Patrick, have you consulted any span charts for your building?

3 temp posts down the middle, with a header on top (header could be affixed to the underside of the rafters, unifying somwhat like blocking between rafters/ joists) would cut your span in half during snow season, at least.

Could be optical illusion, but it looks like the front header is already sagging a bit. Definitely want more support for snow load!

Looks like another day left to my own devices. I met Typhoid Goober on a job this morning, and we staked some bridge piles. Got back to the office, I fixed his glasses, and he took some paperwork home with him. My back's feeling a little weird, but I might haul some logs. I need to get this shit done so I can start doing fun stuff.

I ended up hauling two long logs down the driveway, and a few shorts closer to the site. I'd estimate this is about 10% by volume of what I've done so far, and I think I have about this much left on the ground. Perhaps 5x this standing if I get to it :^S

IMG_20211221_123033.jpg

I finished the day organizing sticks, and pulling some vines/stickers from the trees. Mostly for me, to feel like I'm getting somewhere. I also wanted to meditate on the remaining trees to figure out what I'm gonna thin, and to get a feel for leaving dead wood on site, but organized and pretty(?).

Sisters dog came to visit for a few hours this afternoon...good little animal.

Had to "unflood" (there's probably a real word for that :|:) the holding tank for my well pump. Pump was doing the start-stop thing. Depressurized the tank and a few strokes with the bicycle pump to replace some water with air...all good now.

We chipped yesterdays brush. Rebid a job that I have looked at four times already, price goes up 200 bucks each visit. The guy thinks we slow down in winter so he is fishing for a price. Ain’t happening.
Washed the trucks.
My guy found a wood furnace that we are getting tomorrow about an hour and a half south of the boarder.

Sisters dog came to visit for a few hours this afternoon...good little animal.

Had to "unflood" (there's probably a real word for that :|:) the holding tank for my well pump. Pump was doing the start-stop thing. Depressurized the tank and a few strokes with the bicycle pump to replace some water with air...all good now.
I think the word is “dewater”

By "wood furnace", you mean outdoor burner? That would be cool to have if it was colder here, and I was farther in the country.

OWBs suck. They make you think you are saving money, but they just suck your time. Then, just when you think you are getting somewhere, they start leaking.

Before everyone awakens I try to read a bit. Currently reading “A Gentleman In Moscow” by Amor Towles.

Alexander Ilyich Rostov is a former Count in the newly remade Russia of comrades and collectivism.

He speaks of now, after the Revolution, being in the Confederacy of the Humbled (page196). Once a member of high society, and now just blending into the sea of commoners.

Something poignant struck me of that passage. In my own case I would say,

“When one’s glory days of youth and strength are behind you, and abilities decline as your body does the same, one is left reminiscing on the strengths and accomplishments of one’s youth, and gazing perhaps upon the deeds and actions of the now-young!”

I have to admit I have joined the Confederacy of the Humbled.

Enjoy your holidays everyone. Before the guests awaken I’m going to go turn some wood in the shop before I can no longer lift the bowl blanks 😂🤣😂🤣

Last edited:
Back