How'd it go today?

Slept in a tad. Needed a day off. Then took the truck over to the shop. Put on the new tires since we have our winter weather coming in. Loaded up some .38 so I got to use my new dies and powder dump. Then put dinner in the oven and went to see a client before dark. Neighbors young bull got loose and Katy and Levi were helping him out. Came home to hear a gun shot and now was needed to pull the bull up and off the steep bank. Load him in the John Deere bucket and load him into the neighbors truck.
Came back inyhe house, washed up and started the gravy and peas. Have some pumpkin pie for desert. Country life.

Boss had paperwork to do today, so I worked on my project. Got to use all my new toys. The tape seems to work well, but the release is sensitive. I have to be careful pulling it out. The tongs worked pretty well, but I think I could feel the handle start to deform on one lift. New sappie worked well, but the pretty blue & yellow paint job is already beat up. Also tried my new to me thrashed Stihl chain. Worked surprisingly well considering the shape it's in. I think it might even be better than the trilink.

Started the day by punching myself in the face. Recoil's wonky on the poulan, and it didn't engage when I pulled the cord, so it just freespooled right into my face :^S Made a little bit of progress. I was in a tangle of logs, and it took a bit to try to figure out how to separate them. It'll be done one of these days...

My poor skidding cone...

20211213_135212.jpg

day two of a three-day climbing bender. Took son to crag above Green River yesterday. Awesome warm temps in sun. Went for the mind-bending runouts on Whitesides today with my buddy Bruce. Tomorrow head to Linville with my daughter who is home from college IMG_2469.jpg IMG_2468.jpg IMG_2478.jpg 66110220226__CA57BA27-466C-4EFE-98D7-0C1F2425DC20.jpg wc5.jpeg wc4.jpeg wc3.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2464.jpg
    IMG_2464.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • whiteside 1.jpeg
    whiteside 1.jpeg
    924.9 KB · Views: 2
  • ws2.jpeg
    ws2.jpeg
    890.3 KB · Views: 2
poulan? jus kidding
That's the one I found in the trash! Hey, it cuts. I'm kinda glad I have it. It isn't much fun to use, but I'd rather beat that one up on the trash I'm cutting rather than my good saws, or even my other office poulan. It really is terrible. Weighs about as much as my 362, and it has a 20" bar with full comp, full size ⅜¨ chain and a 50cc motor. Takes a light touch when you have the bar mostly buried. I can easily stop the chain just putting a little pressure on it.

for you Burnham. Bunch of oldschool pics of the original route. Take note of high-tech gear like the webbing around the waist with no leg loops for a harness. Nothing like looking at some big falls in that rib.......:\:You know any of those folks?

we did the Original route up to the traverse then finished on the last two pitches of Traditions.

IMG_2472.jpg

Did one easy job, then left early today. Got a call from a super asking if I was gonna showup. Completely forgot I was supposed to be there. I made an unscheduled stop there last week, and what I think happened, was I mentally erased it from the calendar since I was at the job. Either that, or I'm getting old :^D I'll be going there tomorrow.

Snow day. Went and cleared a couple drive ways. Well, mashed it down with the 4wd. It'll melt faster. One was my buddys drive way. So I borrowed his .32 dies and my projectiles. Had some .223 brass for me. Scored some .243 projectiles for practice and some primers. Now some laundry, soup, sammie and some reloading time.

day 3......daughter made Chancellors list! Time to climb and celebrate! Little Shortoff fear therapy!!
the decent gully, base of route, stemming up the crux, exposure on third pitch, relief taking the shoes off! Guess I'll be detoxing from adrenaline for the next four days at work. IMG_2492.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2493.JPG
    IMG_2493.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2494.JPG
    IMG_2494.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2496.JPG
    IMG_2496.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2504.JPG
    IMG_2504.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2513.JPG
    IMG_2513.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 13
serious rocks!

Great pics.

Anyone else out there also climbing? Looked like you had the place to yourselves.

Burnham, If you ever come through Asheville check out Black Dome, there is a climbing museum
with tons of historical stuff and pics of the pioneers in this area.

Cory...had the place to ourselves except for one hiker on top. 24degree start skeered them away. Warmed up to 61 though!

Attachments

• IMG_2521.JPG
    IMG_2521.JPG
    547 KB · Views: 12
Took down a huge pecan tree this morning. Possibly the biggest I’ve ever cut. Over 80’ tall, ~42-44” across the stump. Spent between 3 and 4 hours aloft, the most I’ve climbed at a stretch since getting back at it. As usual, in a hurry to get to work and forgot before pic. Snapped this one just before tipping the trunk into the pile with the Boxer.
8F9F4DC4-AF2C-49B9-8022-F446BAE52B98.jpeg

Back