How'd it go today?

Worked yesterday. Cut down and cleaned up two Bradford pears. Still terribly slow but at least I’m at it again. Just did three reps curling 20# dumbbells. Stopped at three due to pain in the collarbone. Can’t afford to bust it loose again. Maybe four tomorrow…

Chipper pre-feed stopped going forward. The failure was intermittent and now it is constant. I had 10 min of chipping left to do on a five day job so I ended up taking the brush with me.
The direction of the pre-feed is controlled by two solenoids. ALTEC tech support insists there is an issue with the signal going to tge solenoid. I plugged the forward signal to the reverse solenoid and the pre-feed runs in reverse. This tells me it is a forward solenoid issue, not a signal issue. The chipper is an Altec DC610.
Here are some questions for whoever is interested in giving an answer:
Does the diagnosis of the solenoid issue make sense?
Has someone had a solenoid issue in a hydraulic valve? This one is a Parker D1VW style.
Would removing the valve assembly cause a geiser of hydraulic fluid? Reason I ask this is that I need to take the valve off the manifold to measure the coils. Here is a picture of the valve.
20211112_111953.jpg

Do you have caps for the lines? I purchased a box of caps and plugs when I had my bucket trucks.

JIC hydraulic cap and plug set

And yes, your diagnosis makes sense to me. IMO Altec won't be of much use as their stuff is criminally overpriced. Hopefully you can find the same part through other sources. Check with your local hydraulic places such as Pirtek.

The first guy I worked for had repeated issues with the main hydraulic valve on the pump mounted on his truck's gear box. Electrical issue, but each time in the solenoid. Was it a vibration problem? I don't know. I though that this component would be bombproof, as it's purely static, vs the hydraulic part with moves and high constrains. Strange. But his was pretty easy to change, as the solenoid itself is just bolted on the valve's body by a central big nuts. It can even be done by hand. He didn't have to mess with oil, the hydraulic part stays sealed.

For a couple of weeks I've been working on a new heating ,HVAC system because my second geo thermal went out .Propane high efficiency system .It was all in except for the trench to bury the propane line which is 160 feet long .I've had a problem lining up a trencher and winter is fast approaching so I took shovel in hand and dug it out myself .I'll finish covering it up as soon as the sun shines and be thankful that ordeal is over .Hot dang that's "elder " abuse ,73 years old operating a shovel but it was self induced so I shouldn't be so snippy about it .:lol:

That goes back to the old saying---the best laid plans of mice and men .It's been a learning process I'll probably never use again .These "high tech " furnaces are much different than the older ones I'm familiar with .You have differential pressures, condensate etc .to deal with .To add to that lower circulation discharge rates resulting in longer run times between heating cycles plus the fact I'm a tad bull headed and set in my ways .I figured if I can program a high speed CNC machine or robot then a flippen furnace should be a breeze .It hasn't worked out as I planned . I'll get it ,it's just a matter of time .:)

25 fence posts, a little firewood, and that limb I asked about is still in the tree. We were both whooped after loading the trailer, and it was already pretty sketchy in regards to weight...

20211114_130945.jpg

We'll be on site tomorrow, and the clearing guys will be there. If they can't save the limb for us, I might have time to climb, drop, drag the limb to a safe place til we can fetch it.

Le sigh...

20211114_131813.jpg

Not sure what I'm gonna do. It's warranted, but if I have to ship it back, and maybe pay for shipping a new one, it might not be worth it. I'll have to see what their site says. Dunno if it was me or the tool. I was pushing it pretty hard, but as manly as I am, I don't know about breaking steel :^D

Follow up of the pain in the ass horsechesnut.
I was working on a small grounds (3/4 acre, no castle though) covered with tall trees of various ages, like ashes, maples, black locusts, horsechesnuts, poplars, lindens and willows. A major security concern for the HO as many of them were leaning hard toward the outside (the neighbor's house, a road, the power and com lines, a new big industrial shed and a path to access to the school). Some were dead or dying, some partially rotten or even hollow, some had already fallen, plus all sorts of brocken stuff by the wind. The trees were in the 60 to 100' range and many can't fit in the property's width. Diagonally or lengthwise ok, excepted I had to preserve some young keepers if possible. Tricky. Climbing all that would have take way too much time for the allowed sheddule. So it was mostly felling, limbing and bucking in firewood lengths all day long. 5 weeks of work. I'm not done yet and will come back in marsh to finish.
Back to the horsechesnut.
I have to apologize, the squirrel has probably no responsability in dulling my chain by hidding some gravel up there. But the human with his chit does. All the region was a war zone in ww1. An elder told me that the trees he harvested in a wood not very far away were full of shrapnels. So, I got some samples too, luckily not as heavily loaded as his trees.
The horsechestnuts are (were now) old enough to have a good size at this time. 3 of the 5 were hit by the spit-out of some battle. They took the beating, recovered and grew over it.
Plenty of discolorations in the center of the trunks and co-leaders, from tiny dark spots to wide brown/grey areas. And the hidden beans in metal or something. The last one was the worse. Between like 10 and 30 ' high, I couldn't make a cut without hiting something. File, file, new chain, file, file, file, new chain, file, file :angry5:
Some were discreet and changed slightly the sound of the chain and altered the cutting speed. 3 times, it made like a "tak", while at the same time I was hit in the leg by something. But I only found once a tiny remain of one offending thing still embeded in the cut's side.

I guess that's very usual for the tree guys working is the battle's areas, but it's new to me.

Sounds like PITA time, but kinda cool recovering history. I think I'd like that on one job, but it would get on my nerves having to do it all the time. I'm a little surprised you haven't run into it more. With two big wars, there's a lot of trees with stuff in them.

I think Rich recently mentioned dealing with a huge tree with ammo/shrapnel in it. @biggun

Well. Almost had Levi's truck ready to assemble. Went to put the Ox sensor in the new hole I had to drill and weld a nut to (18x1.5) and got it too hot maybe. Warped the nut. Best guess. So rather than bugger new things up, and seeing there is not a 18x1.5 set of taps in this town I can lay my hands on, I ordered a set. Be here Wed.. Reloaded some more rifle rounds instead. Powder being what it is to get, I have a new bottle I am going to work a load up for. Couple actually. Got some .243 ready for the range.

Busy times right now. Cow in milk with a Calf. Lilly and I were working together on milking till she settles in. Playing dodge the hoof with the bucket 2X daily. Start of my morning then off to work.
Trying to get as much caught up on trucks and trailers as I can since the supply chain is such a biatch. Same with ammo.
Seems I have been nominated for President of the Fish & Game Protection Association Club. This also means I really need to get my CPR recert and get my RSO cert for the range. Since I will have a key and all that what not.
Busy times and just getting busier.
Rob is making cheese and butter from our harvesting the cows milk. Of course, fresh milk. Lilly is baking with some of it now. Just had me some soft cheese chive spread on a toasted English muffin. Katy will be selling some of the milk. Egg production is down a bit with more dark. But we are fixing some lights out back for that reason. More eggs soon.

Hid from the wife and kids today by cutting, splitting, and stacking firewood. I’m in survival mode. All have colds and sinus infections. At least that’s what we suspect for now. Lit the first fire of the season in the wood burner this morning as well. Glad I did since I was out in wet snowy conditions all day. I actually got a lot of other things done today. Kids seem to be feeling better tonight. I’m still keeping my distance. I have 40 hours of PTO to use up but I was planning on taking off between Christmas and New Years again.

What does FGPAC do?
Some conservancy work. Hunter ed. We used to stock ponds. Trying to get back into that. CA regs are a biatch though. The organization is 90 years old. We also do youth shooting sport sponsoring and coaching. We have our own range we run and lease out. Youth scholarships (not a lot of money but hey) for youth looking into that type of work and education that deals with wild lands, conservation etc.

Just looked at Garrett Wade's site, and they have an unconditional 90 day return/exchange policy. Additionally, they guarantee their stuff for one year. Shipping is free both ways, and they included a return sticker in the box, which I still have and didn't put in the woodstove, which is good. That's pretty easy, so I think I'll send it back.

Back