How'd it go today?

Last crane day for a couple weeks unless we get ours out for a removal on Monday. Given the amount of rain we’ve had I’d say not. Tree went smooth for the weather conditions. Soaking wet by the second pick. Someday I might be able to tolerate wearing rain gear. Home fairly early and been doing nothing much since. Getting ready to grill some steaks with mushrooms and onions. Then pumpkin carving with the kids.

More chip hauling today. Cleaning up the "emergency" chip dump. They are only supposed to dump there if they can't find anywhere near the job or on the way home. An excavating contractor took a thousand yards, and we are closing in on another thousand. One Kubota mini teaspoon at a time.

20211029_094131.jpg

4 1/2 hrs finished the trimming at the course and three removals down. Now we wait until it's dry enough to pick everything up...mighty soft right now. Another beautiful grey day!

Had a few larger/higher things to take out today so used the powered pole saw. It was a time saver on the right things, but wouldn't want to handle it all day.

I need to make a new oiler for my mill. The one I have was real quick to make, but ended up being a pita to use. I also picked the wrong tubing, and it got really stiff.

Laminated bar there, Peter?
Reckon it won’t matter one bit, so long as it stays cool and oily at the rails.

Working 5 minutes from my front door is over.
We go to the far northern end of the Island for the next month........1½ hours away.
Since it is getting cold and wet, is is time to bring the lunch wagon along.
So I spent most of sunday making it sparkling clean and bringing it up north.

P1080557.JPG P1080558.JPG

I'm just doing a little this and that around the yard. Silky pruning. I want to wait til the trees are fully done to get to some of the bigger stuff. Both to maximize fall, and to go slow so I don't remove too much. It's easier taking things off than putting them back.

Spent the morning cleaning up for winter. Also moved three totes full of wood up to the garage. We’ve got a few more weeks till (hopefully) I need to start burning.

I still need to clean my chimney. Not sure when burning's gonna start. My windows are still open. Gonna be low 50s for highs this week, so most of the windows will close. Maybe mid November for fires?

Only had one group of halloweenies so far, and some have walked by. My driveway is decidedly unwelcoming, so you have to be committed to run the gauntlet of trees. Their loss. I have a reputation for giving full sized Euro chocolate for the kids that aren't little pussies :^D

We just returned from that excursion. Kids are on a sugar high from grandma’s house as well. Kids have just found out that there is a daddy tax on all candy received. Life lessons. I also realized that these kids need to train harder for next year. They walk way to slow to cover the entire area. We shall have a better planned route for next year

I need to start packing for the EXPO. I’m heading out Wednesday afternoon. I’m looking forward to meeting up with my Canadian brother. Deevo and I always seem to find just enough trouble and not get into real trouble.

Back