How'd it go today?

First day back at work in seven weeks! Ground a handful of stumps. Would have been done in 2.5 hours...but the Carlton decided to lay down and take a nap. Grinding on sidling ground. I was being careful to keep the cutter head uphill while moving...until the time I forgot. Ran a line to the Boxer and rolled it back over. Let it sit about 15 minutes and it fired back up. About a minute of smoke and about a tablespoon of oil dripping out of the muffler and it was just a bad memory. So it took about 3 hours total. I was jus happy to be back at work!

Bush hogging. Went under a bowed-over water oak, expecting it to sweep over the ROPS. Didn’t realize the tips were going to be under the tractor tire on the far side. It essentially rode the tree right down across me.

Boss called and woke me up this morning. Rude! :^D. I was out cold. Never did hear my alarm. Easy day otherwise. I did some road and bioswale, went back to the office to do gradesheets, and ran into a question about grade. Asked the boss to look at it, he took it to the engineer to look at, and the engineer didn't like, so they have no grades, and questions are going back to the state cause the engineer will have to eventually certify the bioswale.

Went to the back of the farm to look at my likely next project...

20211101_145731.jpg

Boss said he could probably help two weekends from now. After looking at it good, I think I can do it without ropes and help, but I want someone there cause the tree's in bad shape. The run in shed and some fence is roughly from the camera position. A couple lower limbs I think I can side hinge and swing to miss them(if the wood holds). The tree has a slight lean in the direction of the shed. The cluster of limbs at the top is leaning away though. I'm thinking I can take that small top, then just bomb the rest in 3'-4' pieces. It'll take longer than falling a big spar, but there aren't many good holes to put it in.

Bush hogging. Went under a bowed-over water oak, expecting it to sweep over the ROPS. Didn’t realize the tips were going to be under the tractor tire on the far side. It essentially rode the tree right down across me.

I hope it didn't get you too bad and if it did that you recover quickly!

Typical Monday. Forgot a few things switching trucks. Then went back to the shop for them after I made a mess to keep Rob 1/2 way busy. I really need more copies of that chipper key :|:
Polished a turd and came home after a couple 3 hours.
Then I found out my check book fell out my door and got ran over in town, so ran back to town. Good Sam picked it all up. She left work so I'll reward her later.
Then home, then Katy in a panic, so back to town to pick Lilly up. Then Lilly needs to go home to get something for her art class at 5. So only got a couple errands done and I am going back to town again to drop her off and finish errands. Probably end up picking her up at 730 as well if this keeps up. Trying to use up 50.00 in fuel I just put in.

Got a text from a custom sawing customer "can I leave a trailer full of logs at the mill?" "Sure" This afternoon: "can you unload them so I can use my trailer tomorrow?" "No problem" He wasn't kidding when he said trailer FULL. That's a 25' gn, and some of those logs are maybe 30". The cherry will saw out great, the hard maple will be spalted, but may be too far gone.
20211101_180852.jpg

Went to stl for my checkup and blood work, all is well. Even managed to get my flu shot. My grand plans to finish up the chipper after i got back didn't quite happen, but I'm hoping this week. The wood burner may have bought me enough honey do currency to get a chance to finish, but you never really know..... :/:

Corvids are a big threat to lambs for the same reason. I watch several YouTube channels in the UK dedicated to hunting them.

Why would anyone lose their Cheerios over someone shooting a bird?😳

I shoot crows. I don’t eat them, but they eat crops, and have this horrible habit of lighting in trees in/around the yard and showing off their vocal abilities...or lack thereof...

Actually, I rather like crows. They are darn smart, that's a fact.

I can run them off from our property by cawing at them in their language. I have no idea what I'm saying in crowtalk, but in less than a minute I can send a flock scattin' away, looking over their shoulders at me :D.

A special skill at bird cussin', I guess :lol: .

Back