How'd it go today?

Got off early, So I went home to clean the chimney. A lanternfly landed by me while I was up there. Post squish...

View attachment 115738

Full of gooey goodness. It's been a banner year. From the novelty of my first invasive sighting, to "Holy shit, these things are everywhere!" in a few months. I also split my new reel of dynaglide into two 300' lengths. It's primarily for the apta. I have it in a coffee can atm, but that isn't terrific. I think an mre case will work pretty good, but I need to empty one. It isn't something I'll use all the time, so it should be fine.
Three gallon plastic bucket, with a lid to keep crap out, is the best option...assuming you are too cheap to get a folding fabric box...that being an even better choice :).

Yes Burnham!! That's what I have. Two lines live in the bucket, separated by some round flat plastic, my bag of throwbags, and the head of my bigshot. Smack the lid on lift the handle and away you go.

Just got back from two days in Hobart. Georgeous old 1840s weatherboard house on the waterfront, decent garden all overgrown. Pruning, restoring, reducing, reclaiming...more to follow.

Thanks for that Burnham. You reminded me I have a 2.5(?)G bucket *I fished out of the scrap metal can. It's an interesting size, and was packed with horse food, so no chemicals to deal with. Forgot I had it.

*It would be interesting to psychologically profile someone who puts trash in a wrong container. They get some credit for not just dumping it on the side of the road, but that's basically what putting it in the wrong container is. You're making someone else's life harder because you can't do the right thing. It's kinda worked out for me though. I got the bucket, a rake handle, a skidding cone, and a chainsaw so far :^D

Took down 3 Scots Pine.

I really dislike working at full stick plus stinger. On top of that right over the outrigger, then the crane begain to sink on that rigger, steel plate to the rescue.

I told the driver I didnt like the setup, but that as close as we could come.

The crane lacks a scale.

Attachments

• 20211105_100020.jpg
    20211105_100020.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
You can make circular dividers (sheet plastic, cardboard, etc.,that allow you to layer multiple throw lines, without throw weights attached.

Presumably, a a person would then add a divider on top and store multiple throw weights in the top of the bucket. A very light weight piece of ripstop nylon tarp might add functionality.

Throw lining in brushy sites can be less challenging with a tarp.

Folding cubes exist outside tree work.
Yes Burnham!! That's what I have. Two lines live in the bucket, separated by some round flat plastic, my bag of throwbags, and the head of my bigshot. Smack the lid on lift the handle and away you go.

Just got back from two days in Hobart. Georgeous old 1840s weatherboard house on the waterfront, decent garden all overgrown. Pruning, restoring, reducing, reclaiming...more to follow.
And the pics?

...more to follow
I prefer my bucket to a folding cube, more robust. If space is a premium though, cubes win.

I always preferred the 3 gallon bucket because it protected my BigShot head. Stuffing that anywhere without protecting the rubber would result in the rubber eventually getting cut and torn. I used the same bucket from the day I bought my BigShot until the day I sold my business.

I like my makeup bag for my handthrow line. Big enough mouth that it isn't a pita to flake line in, and pockets for weights and stuff. I have no intention of getting anything different for that.

Staked limit of disturbance on the locust lot today. We're going up Sunday to fetch the trees. I may go up tomorrow to get them prepped, but it remains to be seen. I have stuff to do in the morning, and I'd rather just do it all in one trip, but that'll require the spastic boss to stand by while I get things setup.

You can make circular dividers (sheet plastic, cardboard, etc.,that allow you to layer multiple throw lines, without throw weights attached.

Presumably, a a person would then add a divider on top and store multiple throw weights in the top of the bucket. A very light weight piece of ripstop nylon tarp might add functionality.

Throw lining in brushy sites can be less challenging with a tarp.

Folding cubes exist outside tree work.

And the pics?
Agree totally on use of a small tarp.

Yep, works excellent for that.
With almost 5 times as many pigs in the country as humans, Denmark is completely free of muslems. :|:

Crap... Boss just called and said he wouldn't be able to do the locusts tomorrow. I think I'm gonna go up and do it by myself, and skid the logs off the lot. We can then pick them up with the trailer later. He said he doesn't think they'll clear the lot before next week, but I don't buy it. He always makes the assumption that's most optimistically in his favor, and his world isn't any different than yours or mine, so you know how that works out... The wood's too good to risk taking a loss on it.

Reactions: Raj
Yep, works excellent for that.
With almost 5 times as many pigs in the country as humans, Denmark is completely free of muslems. :|:
Haha! I meant it’d keep them away from Jim’s farm more specifically. Gotta think, if the fools would eat some bacon or ham or a pork chop...they might not consider suicide bombing such a good idea!

Went to the locust job today, Waaay underestimated how much time it would take. I only got one tree down, or three depending on how you count it. Lost my enthusiasm for climbing up to clear vines. Huge hassle trying to get through them, so I set a line, and cut them at the bottom. Line ended up unnecessary, but I had to leave my saw in the cut and bail when it went over. the tree came apart at an inclusion.

20211107_102210.jpg
I cut the single little one first, then finished with the pair

20211107_103201.jpg
Vine mess...

20211107_104836.jpg Lost my pickaroon somewhere in there. Tried to find it with the metal detector, but it's hard to swing in vines, and there's old farm crap buried, so I kept getting false hits. Got 13 posts, with 10 fully meeting spec. Two are 7', and one is a touch skinny. I ended up with those cutting around defects.

I'm feeling a little down. I know it's Sunday, but I texted 6 different people today about various things and not a single person has responded. I guess quitting living for a year has consequences.

• Sad
Reactions: Raj
I find folks are a bit slower at responding to texts...I wonder if its a reaction to the 'instant availability' that seems to have been the norm the last years.

I treat texts like a short form email. I get to it when I get to it, and I'm in no hurry unless urgency was specified.

Back