How'd it go today?

Maybe bigger wheels?
That should help, but going through a gravel alley will be always a pita. = energy sink.
They even make some giant gravel pits to stop the runaway trucks near the sensitive areas like tunnel entry, slopes .... the outside of the sharp turns on the F1 circuit too. That tells something.

I almost mentioned it earlier, but I'm not sure how much general use it would be. Should work well on that gravel though. You could skid it out on a sled made from sheet metal, or even better, plastic. Roll the cart onto it, strap it down, then drag the whole thing. Should be pretty easy if you don't have to go uphill much.

@Raj

Did you mean rubber mats in place of plywood? I've wondered about used stall mats from stables (possibly free, byopressurewasher).

Have you considered an accessory swivel caster for the tongue?

I have one for my chipper and until right now hadn't considered one for my AT. It would make it winchable.

That should help, but going through a gravel alley will be always a pita. = energy sink.
They even make some giant gravel pits to stop the runaway trucks near the sensitive areas like tunnel entry, slopes .... the outside of the sharp turns on the F1 circuit too. That tells something.
Yes, for that, you would need wider tires for floatation, if a person wanted to avoid mats/ plywood.

I almost mentioned it earlier, but I'm not sure how much general use it would be. Should work well on that gravel though. You could skid it out on a sled made from sheet metal, or even better, plastic. Roll the cart onto it, strap it down, then drag the whole thing. Should be pretty easy if you don't have to go uphill much.
@kevin bingham is/ was a fan of jetSleds, IIRC.

Finally dropped off my tax info at the accountant's this morning. I'm afraid it's going to be expensive this time, again. Higher income and only one dependent. :(

@Raj

Did you mean rubber mats in place of plywood? I've wondered about used stall mats from stables (possibly free, byopressurewasher).

Have you considered an accessory swivel caster for the tongue?

I have one for my chipper and until right now hadn't considered one for my AT. It would make it winchable.

I was thinking used stall mats, I did use a single layer of carpet and it worked really well. This is my first time going over loose gravel. As for the the third wheel, I actually did pick up small pnematic swivel wheels at a yard sale.

I was tempted to keep the motor(Kawasaki), but what am I gonna do with it? I already have too much 'sorta good' junk laying around. Ran good though. Carb needs to be rebuilt I think.

Well, you could have built a winch out of it for starters. I dunno, half joking, but then again i weld. A riding mower is about the ideal start for a bunch of different projects personally.

Today I recorded an half hour episode for the third season, seventh episode of a podcast on pain.

The focus was about my experiences with how patients dealt with pain in the hospice setting.

The first episode of this season aired this week, so the episode I am on will air in about six weeks. You can check it out wherever you listen in to podcasts.

3D70A98D-B076-4BA2-842F-DB67B09363DE.jpeg

Last edited:
I feel like I'd have to be in the right mood to listen to a lot about pain. Idk

As I'm now down to myself only (can't find anyone to work full time; lots of other businesses around here in same boat, and it doesn't help that our progressive appeasing gov extended unemployment very quietly. Hmm, it's an election year; naw, he'd never do that :X). I have to take advantage of whatever I can. Had to drop 2 intertwined, 70+ ft. multi-stem maples today; had a friend helping out, and lets just say, he didn't get some of the brush monkey basics that well. I had to rig out the tops and some stem pieces below them, and he was instructed to get the slack out of the line b4 it hit the portawrap. He diidn't on one I was behind the stem on (even after I asked), and it was large, so when I dropped it, it shook the crap out of the stem, causing me to gaff out, and whack the stem 2x as I slid 3 feet. Big bloody scar between the eyes (safety glasses just dug right in), bloody nostril and sore chest bruise. I'll live, but will have second thoughts cashing in on his "friendly offers" in the future.

Dang, you've had some serious incidents in this first year or so in biz.

You can't train people from the tree with any good results.

Basic natty-crotch and NC double whip tackle self rigging.

Armor your dropzone (some plywood and a big brush pile) and drop chunks. Skip any roping that relies on newbs.
If the extra-hands can manage a hand truck (possibly with a cam or ratchet strap) your making fast progress.

You can't sell brush piles, maybe ratchet straps to hold piles together.

Work with the crew you have, not the crew you wish for.

Last edited:
Boss had to quit early to help his girlfriend, so I worked on a couple of spruces that have been bothering me awhile. Took a good bit longer than I expected at 3.5hr. These were yard spruces that were full of bittersweet. I cut the dead lower limbs off, and pulled the bittersweet out as best I could, then brushcut underneath. Since the scaffold for the vines has been removed, I'm hoping someone will mow under it and keep the bittersweet down til it dies. If not, I guess I can hit them with the brushcutter since it's easy to get to now. There's still a lot of vines in the tree that'll die there, but they should eventually become invisible.

Not sure about one tree. It looks kinda sickly, but it may perk up with the bittersweet coat gone. Something's been killing spruces lately, or I may just be noticing more. The other tree looked better, and had some sprouts on the stem about chest height+, which is encouraging. Both look better imo.

Back