How'd it go today?

I remember as a kid we would often visit family in stl, and my dad who was an avid fisherman would always make it a point to slip away and go to the bass pro store there. If you have never been to one, it's like a zoo, boat store, gun store, hunting store, fishing store, camping store, and museum all rolled into one. They have huge fish tanks with mature native fish like bass and catfish, stuffed bears, archery ranges, restaurants, bowling alley, you name it, so we would spend hours and hours there and all purchases were sworn to secrecy from mom :lol:

I remember the first time we went, we were walking in and some old hillbilly opened his truck door, grabbed a shotgun not in a case, and simply walked in the store like it was a Tuesday. In the middle of St Louis, in broad daylight. No one, including my dad who was a city guy, was even remotely alarmed. I kinda was, but i was maybe 6 or 8 at the time and hadn't been present for having gunsmithing work done. Like i said, growing up in a place that views guns like that does effect how you view them. I also remember riding my bike to a gun store in town (top 3 largest in Illinois) to walk around and check stuff out, and even bought a pellet gun there and drove it home on my bike with money i had from my mowing business i started when i was 12.

Nope, truth be told it was a Ruger GP100.

I could probably have sneaked around the regulations, anyway, since one of my students at the karate school owned a gun shop in Eureka, and didn't like to see anybody go unarmed, not even a commie.

Brett, find one place where I have written something in favour of " Gun laws"
Just one.

I like guns, just like I like other weapons. Why do you think I have spent my life practising fighting both empty handed ( Kara-te means empty hand) and with blunt and bladed weapons.
When I lived in Idaho and California I spent a lot of time getting proficient with handguns.

I just don't like religion, be it worshipping some obscure deity or worshipping guns.

So don't try to fit me into your pre-concieved "Leftist" box.
I won't fit.

Good work Stephen. Way to save some dough...

Jack stands freak me out.. I try to throw a big round under the pumpkin... I had a suburban fall in my lap as I was changing the front tire... luckily I had one leg on each side of the wheel. :) Lucky as it twere.

Yea, I'm not a fan jack(stands) either. Changing a tire, the spare always goes under the frame, then gets replaced by the flat when off.

One ton plus rear ends and brakes are such a joy. Number 2 almost done.
Service with a smile and curse words and bruised greasy cut hands ..
I love my job. View attachment 110097View attachment 110098
Now Stephen...least we forget; a while back I mentioned the benefits of newer trucks, what with air bags, anti-lock brakes, and other such improvements, and you were singing the praises of your old trucks because you can work on them. If I recall correctly, I then pointed out that it was not quite true that you COULD work on them, but rather that you MUST work on them :D.

Nice job, by the way :).

Yea, I appreciate the ability to work on old stuff, but the flip side is you're on the side of the road with your toolbox working on old stuff, and it isn't something I'm especially good at or enjoy. New stuff works reliably for an incredibly long time(usually), but breaks in mysterious ways when it finally breaks. Good trade off I think.

I prefer cribbing than jack stands. But it was chocked and stable. ive got 8x8 from the mill for cribbing.

Burnam. Ive done the math on newer vs older. Even if I charge myself it is cheaper. Just make sure you have more than one truck. I have 4 that can tow. Rent if I need to.
Too much stoopid shit goes wrong with computerized vehicles with tons of wiring.
I slap new motors and trannys in these and still cheaper.
Have to remember insurance, registration and taxes are high out here as well. Newer is above my pay grade. Already have a mortgage. These trucks do nothing but make me money and keep my brain working. ;)

Besides, taking something to a mechanic is often at least an hour out. No mechanics in town can I trust. This time, two shops did something wrong with this truck. So I discovered anyway. Pay big money for idiots to fug it up.

I longingly look forward to the day i can retire and just tinker really. I see Seths '97 F350 with 7.3 and 4x4 in my driveway waiting to be towed and it hurts me. He hit a power pole with it. He's ok. But the truck is totaled by insurance standards. He is making out good on it. More than he paid. But the good parts on that truck. Just kills me. Straight axle front. Nice big ol dana calling my name that would fit nicely on my 4x4. Solid rear end. I bet I could fix the motor. Hell, I know we could fix the whole truck. Crew cab long bed would make a nice flat bed work truck sans the automatic. That long wheel base is a bit much for around here. Hard enough to park an extended cab then add trailer. But damn. Its worth more in parts than it is whole. Even the neighbor offered to rack the frame back for 1200.00. Body panels and bumper wont run more than a couple grand.
The motor is the question and why he is totalling it. When he bought it, i warned him of the miles and to dig into the injectors as it was running a tad rough. Felt it lacked a little power. Over 300k on the meter but well cared for. Hard to tell with the auto trans. Warned him about towing heavy till he addressed at least the o rings on the injectors. Came with a new set of glow plugs, so you kinda felt what was up.
Hi boss had him towing heavy stuff for the roofing Co.
Now there is a lob while running and compression may be off. Tad of blow back from the oil cap and an occassional smoke fest. Rough run is intermittent so it could be that damn wiring harness at the firewall or bad o rings. Could be lousy fuel too. Some places you best stay away from. Kids.

Indeed. I took a large lead and some long low limbs off after a hurricane a few years back. The tree had partially uprooted toward my neighbor's house in the 100 mph gusts. I've been contemplating a reduction on that tall upright since it peaked at about 75 feet. Guess I waited too long...

Back