How'd it go today?

That could be. I honestly didn't put a whole lot of time in it. My thinking was if it was gonna be very particular/fiddly, it's an automatic fail. I can slop a regular prusik on, and it generally just works. I have to spend a little more time setting it with cord like beeline, but not much more time.

I've been using standard prusiks a long time before I got into climbing. They're familiar, and work well. I haven't had anything come up that made me want to try something different aside from centering one on a hitchclimber. I tried a knot on each side, as well as a girth hitch surrounding the pulley, but I had that knot issue with my termination. The bowline like Sean recommended should solve that.

On the ropewrench, I used a valdotain as Jed suggested. It seems to work well with the lengths of spliced cord he sent me. I'll probably keep going with that unless something comes up in serious use.

Great pic and awesome dog. It reminds me of something I saw online the other day

Yup, my hound dog always wants to know what I've eaten recently; I'll tell her and even show her but she always insists on smelling my breath just to be sure.

Started the day helping our new neighbors plant trees and did some education on plants, trees, and lawn care for the city-dwellers moved to suburbia.

Frustrating rest of the day dealing with appliance issues. Redid the kitchen across the street 25 years ago; All new well-researched appliances back then. Brought them here when we finished rebuilding this house and moved in. Now they are all deciding they are tired. I guess 25 years is not too shabby. Refrigerator starting to run all the time (And sounds bad cycling at startup and shutdown. The refrigerator at the day camp in Michigan is from 1947, and still chugging along!)
Opened up the Whirlpool microwave that quit heating. Magnetron and diode get good readings on the multimeter, but the transformer and capacitor readings are not in range; likely are shot. Parts prices are not too bad, but it is literally falling apart just opening it up. So much plastic, even 25 years ago. Too brittle to consider putting the money and time into rebuilding it.
Reading reviews of newer microwaves is a sh*t-show of bad experiences. Things do not seem to be made for longterm use any longer.

Anyone have suggestions for a decent Over-The-Range Microwave, 1.8 cu. ft. and/or a counter-depth refrigerator?

I feel for you. I'm dreading the day I need a new fridge. Mine's older than old school, and dumb as a brick, which is to say, it works flawlessly. It has a numbered temperature control for the freezer, and another for the fridge. It also has a switch that turns a light on when I open the door. No wifi, nothing's "smart"(lulz), and no features other 'it's chills to lower than ambient".

My microwaves are equally old, but I could live without them, and no particular fondness for any of them.

My newish Samsung fridge works great, as with their washer and dryer. Can't help you on the microwave, we still use a little cheap one i got from a jobsite years ago, and we use it so little that we don't even keep it on the counter but rather on the bottom of the pantry rack. Maybe once every few days pull it out, use it, then right back it goes.

Bought a Hotpoint basic one; design hasn't changed since 2014. Ought to be better than the ones with WiFi and Bluetooth, and quirky motherboards and faulty door switches and other nightmares I have been reading about in reviews. Plus it is so basic it's only $198, where it seems you need to spend about $400 for a Samsung that gets good reviews. Mainly use it for quick reheats and melting chocolate, or topping off the morning cuppa'. Ought to be just fine.

Yeah i don't have the wifi stuff, just the bare bones ones. I've been pleased with Samsung stuff over the years, there's a reason why they are one of the largest electronics companies on earth.

Off to take down three dead walnuts - need to figure out what did them in - hope we aren't seeing thousand canker disease here already :(

My wife and I recently got permits. She doesn't want me to buy guns:whine:

The moon is about 99.9% gone. I can see barely just a faint orange sliver that seems to come and go slightly as the changing landscape blocks the sunlight.

I started using an English language field guide back in 76 when I started travelling.
The names still stick.
Besides, there is no American name for Parus major.

I taught myself the latin names for most European species, makes life easier when one hangs out with birders of different nationalities.
Also, it simply gave me something to do.
You are quite the scholar, with many eclectic talents and much worldly experience. No matter what our differences I respect that.

Back