How'd it go today?

Stig, the treatments available now are such an amazing advancement. Hope it knocks it out for you!

And as far as "How'd It Go Today?"

At 4:17am - my body again gave me the big FU.
Was stopped in traffic back in 1995 and a younger fellow in a hopped up car slammed into us as he "hadn't noticed traffic had stopped".

I had worked a 7pm to 7am shift in the Trauma ICU, and was tired, but had the following day off as I was swinging to day shift after that.
Karen said - don't go to bed, that her sister was arriving in a few minutes, and let's go see the bald eagles congregating at the spillway down at the dam. So off we went, she and her sister were in the front seats of the van, fully supported by their seats; I was behind Karen in the next seat back, but laying flat taking a nap on the way out to the river. When we stopped, I in my half-awake state thought we were there, sat up and reached back to release the seat-back to return it to the upright position just as the young stud slammed into us. Unsupported it tore my back up.

My T6 vertebra tends to slide forward, a subluxation that takes a lot of time and effort to coax back into position. So in my dream I was arching my back and stretching with my left arm slightly up... problem is in my sleep I was actually doing the same, a motion I have come to avoid while awake as it pops that vertebra out of alignment. The immediacy of the pain woke me, eyes wide, looking at the 4:17am on the clock face. So much for anything I had planned to do today where I need to raise my arms, like tree work or helping a neighbor with the rain gutter issue on his house.
The 'accident' was almost 26 years ago, and the young inattentive idiot was named "Jesse James Jeffries", and it appears he was living up to his outlaw name. In the investigation it turns out that for 'looks' he had removed the shock-absorbing bumpers on his car and fitted the older style chrome ones, not that it likely would have made too much of a difference at the speed he was traveling. When it came to arbitration he was proudly showing photos of the newly re-mounted, un-marred shock-absorbing bumpers and claiming he "couldn't have hit us as hard as the report claimed, see - it didn't even leave a mark on the bumper". All of us erupted in protestation and the judge immediately referred back to the report where we showed him it mentioned the unforgiving heavy chrome bumpers. Judge immediately assigned blame and ruled against him for full damages. The 'settlement' paid for college for two of our five, which only somewhat makes the episodic pain of the spontaneous misalignment of my spine bearable.
Typically it'll be two to three days before I can coax T6 back into position.

Kyle,
Glad you're getting your shot.

Well, I tried to attend to some light duty items but back keeps spasming - I know toughing this out never works, but I am always hesitant to reach for the Cyclobenzaprine.

Stig, good luck, mang.

Dan, do tell mas!

Pat, feel better. Sometimes the cycloB works for me and sometimes not. Last time, I had very good results with 800 mg of advil per day, despite the issues mentioned earlier by KB and others

No Bivy- now that you are no longer doing treework (afaik), is rock climbing more important to you than in the past. Meaning, treework can be risky and dangerous and adventurous, but now that you aren't scratching that itch with treework activities, perhaps the risk etc of rock climbing is even more meaningful for you than it was before. Just wondering.

From what I was told. Its his birthday week and he's out checking out crazy trees in the south. I never would of thought I would shake that man's had.

Bad part of the day....the 2020 45ton crane with 300 ish hours on it kept cutting off after lunch. We didn't get that #1 set up finished. #2 set up has to be on Monday and Tuesday dew to deliveries at the Green truck restaurant parking we will be taking.

Happy pre weekend folks! 8)

Frustrating day. I was on my big job, and had to layout some bridge stuff. The carpenter foreman doesn't have confidence. He thinks he can't do stuff when he can. Anyway, he wanted a particular dimension, and I didn't have my field computer with me, so I figured the triangle to give it to him. After finishing, I check with the computer, just to make sure. I come up with a different number, so I go back and remark his plan. That was bothering me, so I started tearing into the plans some more, and found my computed dimension wasn't right due to lack of clarity on the plans. Refigure it *again*, then come up pretty close to my triangle dimension, so I call it good enough, and go back to remark his plan with the original dimension, looking like a dumbass.

Checking the other abutment that hasn't gotten to the same stage yet, I found a bad dimension on the sheet the engineer sent to add to the insufficient contract drawing :bangshead: I'm pretty sure I know which one's wrong, but I'll probably mention it, just cause. This is the same structure I thought I screwed up earlier due to a bad plan coordinate, so I'm paranoid, and double/triple checking everything.

Get home, boss needs to know my time on a job earlier this week. My timesheet is on the server, but for some reason windows can't open it while it's open on my machine. It should be able to open it read only, but doesn't. I check mega to see if it's synced, so I can download it, and tell him the time, but it hasn't synced yet. Something else I have to look into. Decide to drive to the office to get the time for him, and trim the pin oak I've been wanting to do, so I wouldn't waste a trip...

My combat boots the heel came off of suck for footlocking. Too slippery. My hands are dry and sore, and I didn't have my latex covered gloves, so it was hard pulling the rope. Finally, my hitch wasn't grabbing. I'd get about 6' up, and the hitch would fail, and I'd come back down. Tried two different cords, and four different hitches; same thing... I finally figured it was the hitchclimber causing the problem, but damned if I can tell what it is. Must be some kind of subtle geometry issue, cause a plain pulley works fine :^/ Got the minimum trimmed the boss was interested in, but I wasn't particularly high up in the tree, and I didn't get any of the dead wood I wanted to get. I'm tired, and done. Figure I'll get it another day. Pull a gnarly hank of stringline that I found on a job out of the truck. I figure I'll leave that in the tree, and I can just pull a rope up when I get a chance. That thing snarls up, and I spend .5hr untangling it so I can put it in the tree. Home now, and still irritated. Feel like I worked all day, and didn't accomplish anything...

Well, it is Friday John so you might want to go to the "what are you drinking tonight" thread and post up one of those fancy scotches you have squirreled away.

Frustrating day. I was on my big job, and had to layout some bridge stuff. The carpenter foreman doesn't have confidence. He thinks he can't do stuff when he can. Anyway, he wanted a particular dimension, and I didn't have my field computer with me, so I figured the triangle to give it to him. After finishing, I check with the computer, just to make sure. I come up with a different number, so I go back and remark his plan. That was bothering me, so I started tearing into the plans some more, and found my computed dimension wasn't right due to lack of clarity on the plans. Refigure it *again*, then come up pretty close to my triangle dimension, so I call it good enough, and go back to remark his plan with the original dimension, looking like a dumbass.

Checking the other abutment that hasn't gotten to the same stage yet, I found a bad dimension on the sheet the engineer sent to add to the insufficient contract drawing :bangshead: I'm pretty sure I know which one's wrong, but I'll probably mention it, just cause. This is the same structure I thought I screwed up earlier due to a bad plan coordinate, so I'm paranoid, and double/triple checking everything.

Get home, boss needs to know my time on a job earlier this week. My timesheet is on the server, but for some reason windows can't open it while it's open on my machine. It should be able to open it read only, but doesn't. I check mega to see if it's synced, so I can download it, and tell him the time, but it hasn't synced yet. Something else I have to look into. Decide to drive to the office to get the time for him, and trim the pin oak I've been wanting to do, so I wouldn't waste a trip...

My combat boots the heel came off of suck for footlocking. Too slippery. My hands are dry and sore, and I didn't have my latex covered gloves, so it was hard pulling the rope. Finally, my hitch wasn't grabbing. I'd get about 6' up, and the hitch would fail, and I'd come back down. Tried two different cords, and four different hitches; same thing... I finally figured it was the hitchclimber causing the problem, but damned if I can tell what it is. Must be some kind of subtle geometry issue, cause a plain pulley works fine :^/ Got the minimum trimmed the boss was interested in, but I wasn't particularly high up in the tree, and I didn't get any of the dead wood I wanted to get. I'm tired, and done. Figure I'll get it another day. Pull a gnarly hank of stringline that I found on a job out of the truck. I figure I'll leave that in the tree, and I can just pull a rope up when I get a chance. That thing snarls up, and I spend .5hr untangling it so I can put it in the tree. Home now, and still irritated. Feel like I worked all day, and didn't accomplish anything...

My job is so simple in comparison, sometimes I/we forget how uncomplicated it is.

Mellow,
Unless the p-trap is in a living room or kitchen ceiling I do this to the ceiling once that occurs. Makes the next time easier. This one for the tub upstairs was conveniently in the downstairs half bath.
5F1B6E13-8C69-4A59-BA42-BB6F900D6268.jpeg

Stig, good luck, mang.

Dan, do tell mas!

Pat, feel better. Sometimes the cycloB works for me and sometimes not. Last time, I had very good results with 800 mg of advil per day, despite the issues mentioned earlier by KB and others

No Bivy- now that you are no longer doing treework (afaik), is rock climbing more important to you than in the past. Meaning, treework can be risky and dangerous and adventurous, but now that you aren't scratching that itch with treework activities, perhaps the risk etc of rock climbing is even more meaningful for you than it was before. Just wondering.
rock climbing has always been an adventure for me. I have sport climbed very little. Get pretty sloppy clipping bolts. I like tinkering and fiddling in gear placements. My body feels much better now that I have stopped tree work. Partly I think it's the saws, not the climbing. Treework wasn't really climbing for me either. Lots of time hanging and swinging around on a rope is pretty different than rock climbing. Some crossover though. The places trad climbing will take you are pretty awesome, high alpine routes in the sierra still reign supreme for me. I DO miss a big crane job though. Lots of ER staff are adrenalin junkies. I climb with several of the docs in addition to riding bikes. For me lately, riding my mtn bike downhill too fast and trad climbing is about as rad as I get. My son will be learning to lead this year........got raise that rope gun. The gym is a strength training tool, doesn't do much for a lead head. I always laugh when I can crank 5.11 in a gym and then go get my ass kicked on some North Carolina 5.9 sandbag.......fun times

Spent a good bit of the day in bed. Got up earlyish and did laundry, then went out for groceries. Ate a bunch of sugar and grease then crashed hard. I was more tired than I realized I think, and the leg cramps weren't helping. I was gonna play with my climbing stuff, but never got motivated enough to get it out. Maybe tomorrow...

Been puzzling over my hitchclimber issue. I'm thinking I may have my hitch tied too short, and it isn't splaying out appropriately. Does that sound possible? The hitchclimber is semi fixed chunk of aluminum, whereas a simple pulley is smaller and more mobile. The pulley would tend to fall away more/faster allowing the hitch to spread. That doesn't account for the altitude limiter I experienced, but that could be explained by the hitch being put into a poor shape by multiple ascents. Since it happened at about the same height every time, that would have been a regular number of footlocks til it gained it's poor shape, failing at the same height each time. I'm curious to check it out...

Back