How'd it go today?

The break from the shop drywall finishing was so I could open up the knee walls in the house, pull out the plywood on the’floor’, seal up the wall to ceiling joints and wire intrusions, install soffit vent baffles and now ready to blow in R60 of cellulose.

Pat gets more work done by accident than most people do on purpose 8)

Hard breaks, Rajan. Sorry. Was this the same project you were mentioning, or another big golf course project?
Thanks! My guy is not the same but he is doing a little better. No this is a smaller golf course and not nearly the same scale. This one is about 20 trees with stumps and most of them are laying on the ground due to a bad storm that rolled thru at the end of their season and they wanted to wait until the ground froze. The other golf course I was hoping to be my first quarter big nut to carry me thru mud season but oh well.

I end up doing a lot of house husband stuff, too...Lindsay gets up 4:45AM and gets home 6:30pm...farmer's hours. My hours are less rigid so I do stuff like vacuum.

If your vac is not fixable I recently got one of these...loving it so far.

We have two high dollar Kirby g4 vacuums.

One we inherited...the other we bought used for cheap.

We bought the second one because the inherited one quit working well.....and a repair shop is 140 miles away.

I never looked at it. I just found some hair wrapped around the impeller shaft. That would have made the brush belt slip.

Frogsnacks.

Works good as new.

Parts are ordered for the second one.

I am the dummy that just fixed a vacuum......that I now have to operate.

Check mate.....

I was working in the rain all day and feeling miserable.
Then, as I was having lunch in the truck, with both internal heaters going full ( I have two different systems in my truck, because I apparently don't understand german as well as I should)
I got a call from the forester, we did that Doug fir clear cut for.
Turns out we cut near to 90 cubic meters per man, which for trees that size is so good, that he had a hard time believing we were only 3 guys cutting.
When I cut the excess 4 meters off the logs in the deck, I noticed that the limbing and trimming was as close to perfect as you can get ( There was 8 times I had to cut a broken limb off, on more than 100 logs, beat that anybody!!!!!)
Well, I was not the only one noticing that.
The forester told me that they had a LOT of mature Doug fir going on the market the next years, and made no secret of the fact that he'd want us to log it.

Just the thing I needed on a miserable, rainy day.

The way the pricing system is set up, we really make so much more money on the large conifers than we do on hardwood logging.

My old mentor, legendary faller Paul Plewa, always told me " Do good work, then you'll be the one they call with the good jobs"

The apprentice really did well on this, so he'll be getting a grand of cool cash for x-mas.

By "broken limb", you mean stubs that might have been hidden on the ground, and got loaded up without flushing them?

Yep, exactly.

Local mill, Jim.
Specializing in custom jobs.
That is why the sticks had to be so long.

Last edited:
I was working in the rain all day and feeling miserable.
Then, as I was having lunch in the truck, with both internal heaters going full ( I have two different systems in my truck, because I apparently don't understand german as well as I should)
I got a call from the forester, we did that Doug fir clear cut for.
Turns out we cut near to 90 cubic meters per man, which for trees that size is so good, that he had a hard time believing we were only 3 guys cutting.
When I cut the excess 4 meters off the logs in the deck, I noticed that the limbing and trimming was as close to perfect as you can get ( There was 8 times I had to cut a broken limb off, on more than 100 logs, beat that anybody!!!!!)
Well, I was not the only one noticing that.
The forester told me that they had a LOT of mature Doug fir going on the market the next years, and made no secret of the fact that he'd want us to log it.

Just the thing I needed on a miserable, rainy day.

The way the pricing system is set up, we really make so much more money on the large conifers than we do on hardwood logging.

My old mentor, legendary faller Paul Plewa, always told me " Do good work, then you'll be the one they call with the good jobs"

The apprentice really did well on this, so he'll be getting a grand of cool cash for x-mas.

As I approach retirement I realise that every working day, where one uses the skills that you learnt as a younger man, to get you through the challenges that confront you, till you finish it to the chèque writers satisfaction are a precious commodity.

Denmark!

We don't even grow enough softwood to fill our own need.

As for hardwood, Beech especially, China, Japoan and Vietnam are the biggest buyers, with Europa next in line.

As I approach retirement I realise that every working day, where one uses the skills that you learnt as a younger man, to get you through the challenges that confront you, till you finish it to the chèque writers satisfaction are a precious commodity.

That one would go in the " Quotes" thread, Mick.
If I could figure out how.

Wow. 100 ticks. I get 15 or 20 being a farmer and thought that was bad. I have become quite aware of any tickles and catch them before they get attatched.

They say possums eat bunches of em. I been setting live traps out to catch coons. Caught 2 possums and let them go.
Denmark!

We don't even grow enough softwood to fill our own need.

As for hardwood, Beech especially, China, Japoan and Vietnam are the biggest buyers, with Europa next in line.

What are you guys busy building prison camps?

Wonder what the Beech is used for in Asia?

Furniture maybe?

Too steep by far.
As Gery Beranek said recently, there will always be a call for hand fallers...........................................................................................on the worst ground!

My big accomplishment today was clearing the windshield of the truck. Just got in a bit ago from chipping ice. Most people would do the driveway too. I don't shovel my drive. That's what 4x4's for. On the rare occasions we get more snow than a 4x4 can handle, I shovel just til it's driveable. Makes for exciting entrance/exits after it gets thawed/frozen a few times. A running start, and it hits the tracks like a rollercoaster, jerks you into position. Then it's smooth sailing :^D My back's too squirrely for doing lame stuff like shoveling snow. If I'm gonna screw it up, I want to at least be making money or having fun.

Back