How'd it go today?

Nasty rainy day here.
Luckily I spent it indoors in a classroom, getting my certificate for spraying pesticides updated.
It was 30 years old, so high time for that.

Yeah Cory, I wish it was a bit bigger but it’ll do. Better than the crane I was using a few months ago, which was none. Removed the problem tree against the primaries by noon today. Everyone was on their game today. Op and I were on the same page. We both were set up quick. Tired of thinking about this tree. Let’s just get to work. Second pick was a 3700# brush/top. Whole tree in 9 picks. Took a bit of extra time setting up the last log pick. Went with long slings and basketed them with another to keep the ball above the primary. We were about 5 feet away from the primary line. I know the slings are conductive but are far less than the ball and cable. I eyeballed center, and then had him do a walk around to verify, and then asked the crew if they noticed anything that we missed. We agreed on a pretension and I cut straight through. I couldn’t believe we were that close that the piece just hung there. No drift at all. 7400# pick

Nice!!!!

Uncoated primaries? As in, "green death?' If so, that is scary as sheeit

Yup. 3’ was my MAD. Steel is 10’ minimum. We figure the cloth chokers are less conductive than me so we felt safe. Next time we’re asking for sleeves just because that damn line is so hard to see at times.

Got all my 3/8 stuff on the 026 today. Looks pretty with its shiny new bar. Haven't had a chance to try it yet. I'm kinda anxious to give it a shot, especially boring. My personal theory, which has held up with limited testing, is that safety chain and bars need to be used as a system for maximum safety, or irritation with using the tip. Green chain+yellow bar or vice versa will work acceptably well, if not optimally. The 026 is now setup 100% Stihl green. Curious to see how it bore cuts.

Green tends to not bore cut well at all. It will take for ever, or you will be tempted to push hard and risk burning up the tip.

That's the thing. That hasn't been my experience mixing components. I've bored fine with green chain on a yellow bar, and with yellow chain on a green bar. Green+green has been a poor experience, but it was on a smaller saw(my 2511), and that has a tiny tip. I'm wondering how it'll work with something a little stouter, like a 16" Ematic. Might be better? Might not be. Hoping it is, cause otherwise I'll either have to buy new chain, or grind the humps off my rm2. Or deal with it I guess. I don't borecut a ton, but it's useful sometimes.

That's the thing. That hasn't been my experience mixing components. I've bored fine with green chain on a yellow bar, and with yellow chain on a green bar. Green+green has been a poor experience, but it was on a smaller saw(my 2511), and that has a tiny tip. I'm wondering how it'll work with something a little stouter, like a 16" Ematic. Might be better? Might not be. Hoping it is, cause otherwise I'll either have to buy new chain, or grind the humps off my rm2. Or deal with it I guess. I don't borecut a ton, but it's useful sometimes.
I haven't done it personally, but maybe you can use an angle grinder and just grind the damn bumps off?

That's what I'm thinking. Or maybe just play with it a bit if it doesn't bore right. You might not have to take the whole thing down to get acceptable performance. I have an very aggressive flat file that'll take a lot of material off quick. Not quick enough if the whole thing has to come off, but if it's only a portion... That's one good thing about the triple hump. It's easier to access than the humped drivelink.

I had one fukked up day. Woke up with some righteous elbow pain and the inability to pick up my right arm to put my glasses on. I wanted to start a week long golf course gig but one of my guys aunt ( 48 ) broke her hip and then froze to death last night so I sent him home but I give him props for showing up. The guy is pretty shook up, just horrible! Lost a $40,000.00 bid by $1460 measly dollars. I spent the evening at the City Counsel Board meeting trying to get them to change the Golf Course Commissions decision but no dice. After sending him home I spent two hours at the Dodge dealer waiting for them to put a front license plate bracket on a new truck. As much as I want to drink I am scared of what I'll be like tomorrow so no I am not drinking. Breath in deeply hold and exhale slowly.

I sure hope your family just quits with this series of injuries, Jim. I've had my girl hurt a couple of times, more than just chump change even if not "life threatening", and it drove me crazy with worry. Even when the everlovin' dogs got injured or bad sick, it messed with my settled mind to no end.

So I bet you are not resting completely easy, probably far from it. Best wishes, friend.

I sure hope your family just quits with this series of injuries, Jim. I've had my girl hurt a couple of times, more than just chump change even if not "life threatening", and it drove me crazy with worry. Even when the everlovin' dogs got injured or bad sick, it messed with my settled mind to no end.

So I bet you are not resting completely easy, probably far from it. Best wishes, friend.

The oldest one and I are busier than a one legged dog try to jump a fence.

Thanks though!

Back