How'd it go today?

What's that contract worth? Seems like an out of area company would have a hard time competing with the locals, especially when it sounds like(reading this forum anyway) work is booming.

Dan, so you live far from Savanah, I take it?

Town work here defies all logic. It goes for ultra low bids (like 30-50% less than it 'should' be) and the 2 companies that tend to win the bids, one is from Rockland, NY which is at least an hour away, and the other is from RI which is at least 2 hours away. I simply do not get it. I live and work in this town and I wouldn't even think of doing the work at the prices they get and my travel time would be exactly zero.

How far out in the boonies is that?
Actually, not far at all from my house...maybe a mile or so. That clear-cut is on state land and the road is blocked off with a large log at the beginning. Decent place to take the dog for a walk. There is a trail that goes up to the peak in the background and there are 3 three-sided shelters scattered around the high country. The trail head starts at a different location.

Last edited:
@cory yes thats is right about the bids. I dont get it, but I guess that part is above my pay scale. My house is about 5 hours from here. Made the trip and took a big sweet gum with the crane. 1.75 loads in a 60 yard loader truck. Today we are on a 51" DBH live oak. Hope yall have a great day.

We managed to cut the required amount of Doug fir in one day.
A short day, even, because it was cloudy and foggy, so we couldn't see to start till 8 AM.
Some 100+ trees on a steep slope and 3 fallers.
Those of you who whine about the new generation not wanting to work, should have seen our apprentice.
He matched me tree for tree at the first break and I could just feel that he figured this would be the day he bested me.

Of course not, I've logged my whole life.
Might be old and crippled, but I still have the smoothness that takes years and years to develope.

So of course I beat him.
He was totally dead on his feet at days end.
So was I, truth be told.

Today he and I recuperated by slaying a bunch of 6-8 foot diameter cottonwoods.
Had a forwarder in place to help push them over and do the clean up.
Easy day, finished at 2 PM.

Last edited:
Chipped.
On a fluidized bed burner.

Cottonweed has too high water content to be really good.
They can only use it in winter, when the burners are going full tilt.

Alive, yes.
Quite hollow, too.
Most old ones are.
Isn't standing white cottonwood pretty much the only wood source where you live?

Nope.
We have a "kill all mammals" zone above the border to Germany in order to keep rabies out.
So far that has kept us raccoon free.

Be about like cutting into bat shit, I suppose.

Been there, done that.
Nobody wanted to be close to me for the rest of the day.

Last edited:
It went. Rain day yesterday and snow day today. Not a major storm but the boss didn’t want trucks on the road till people remember how to drive in the snow. I still go in on these days. Getting caught up on paperwork and such. Think I finished my order for gear. Only added $1100 to the total today. New year coming up means a lot of new gear and a lot of changes. Boss is definitely spending money and in the right areas. Change takes time but we’re on the same page and can see the improvements.

We managed to cut the required amount of Doug fir in one day.
A short day, even, because it was cloudy and foggy, so we couldn't see to start till 8 AM.
Some 100+ trees on a steep slope and 3 fallers.
Those of you who whine about the new generation not wanting to work, should have seen our apprentice.
He matched me tree for tree at the first break and I could just feel that he figured this would be the day he bested me.

Any pictures of the doug firs @stig ?

Back