How'd it go today?

Well, since the dude is a family friend, i fixed a leak tonight. Went back to the site with my larger wrench set and tightened a couple fittings that were loose and leaking hydraulics in the head. All fixed. Ready to go in AM. I let him know about it and he was very greatful he did not need to come out. I am sure we will keep a good working relationship.

Played Dr. Frankenstein tonight. Managed to not to electrocute myself...one of two elements seemed to be not working in my electric forced air furnace. Seems to be better after replacement but I'm still not sure it was bad after testing with the ohm meter? IMG_20201123_184339.jpg g

Last edited:
Stephen...I have been eyeing those things for awhile now. Lots of dams at our farm that have grown up...I used to be able to ride a bike down them...now in some places you can't walk them. Very thick brush...that macerator would be awesome. Pricey unit I am sure.
Me too.. the new bobcat has high flow and I was thinking of renting a yard and renting out small dumpsters to landscapers and homeowners for wood and brush only and then using the mulching head to grind up the brush, as well as dop some clearing jobs. But the bobcat is a wheel loader and that is bound to be problematic. Some of the videos of these machines in action are pretty impressive.

The maintenance cost on replacing tose teeth is huge... Lots of them and I recall they run about $120-150 each. Once you get far enough south on the east coast there is no rock int he soil, which has to be a very good thing

We use a machine like that a lot CV. We have a big Rayco that we own and also rent one on a large rubber tracked skid steer when needed. Just chews everything up into mulch. Typically on clearing jobs we grind the stumps first and then “Mow”. Leaves everything looking clean and ready for temporary seed and straw.

The big ones can do a nice job of things.

We ran four of them clearing high voltage ROWs.
One to make a path on each side, followed by a side trimmer, then another for final cleanup.
Maintenance hours were brutal though...
Trimmed about 450 miles of line that year with a 23 man crew.

Last edited:
The was a contractor from Kent in South East England who had a contract for the clearance of trees in the M25 for lane widening. They did the work and had everything prepared to be mulched with a beast of a machine... quickest way for disposal.

One extra keen highways contractor pushed it all into piles with wire fencing, motorway guard rails, rubble the lot. Basically all the construction waste.

I can’t remember if he went there and ruined the machine or pulled away from the job. I heard in the grapevine though that job pretty much finished him as a company, due to none payment by the main contractor as they didn’t complete the work.

Miles upon miles of motorway and weeks of work with big crews and expensive iron.

That sucks...

We were much luckier...highest profit producing crew in the entire company at that time. Too bad appreciation wan't shown...we all got screwed for several months of travel & expense money that was promised. If I remember right it was a bit over a $3k loss for me.

Routine day. Got home and started splitting some of the locust with my new axe. Got sparks a couple times. I saw that in-tree with my saw, and assumed it was crud in the bark. Not so sure now. I was on an interior section with one sparker. What's up with that?

edit:
Forgot. I was putting on my boots this morning, and felt something in my lower ACU leg pocket. Turned out to be a microusb cable from the previous owner. I don't often use the lower pockets, so I didn't notice. They've been washed several times since I started wearing them. Cable works good, and it's something I can use. My old cable at my computer doesn't grip the port anymore after a fall, and it easily comes loose :^)

Last edited:
Nice day here. Pruned a few oaks and maples away from a house roof this morning and raised up and deadwood a large spreading red oak this afternoon. Also raised up a Norway spruce that I traversed to when finishing the red oak. Have to go back in the morning to finish raking though. Gets dark to early now.
boss is trying to get back on schedule so I’ve been running a pieced together crew taking care of the climbing work. The older guys is a lifer in the groundsman position. Usually takes care of the lawn mowing contracts. The youngster is learning to climb. Has a bit of a rock climbing back ground and does well with the climbing. He’s by no means ready for a chainsaw aloft but a sharp silky can do a lot. He cleaned out a pair of smallish red maples while I did the oak. Actually turned out really nice. I’m still feeling sore after the last few weeks but I imagine I’ll be back in fighting shape before much longer. Also I’m not nearly as grumpy.

Changed a subframe on a 2010 Ford Escape salt had rotted out. $375 from Ford. Did it for a friend at a friends repair shop. Started at 5pm till 10. He helped me pull the old one out and stuff the new in. About an hour for him. Had to go home for an hour. When I got back he had just about all the bolts back in. She is going to be thrilled to get her car back in a day. Most shops didn't want anything to do with the job.

Waiting on covid test results from both sides...likely not a problem, statistically, but no D with us for Thanksgiving, not sure if the other girls will be back in time, or not.

Waiting game...

Staked an abutment and pier this morning. Had to wait on the abutment til they finished driving the piles I staked last week...

20201125_101244.jpg

Got home a little early, and finished taking down the locust....

IMG_20201125_132942.jpg

That hole goes down a good ways. Maybe there's treasure down there! :^O

Got the oak lassoed, and I want to try to pull it straight(er)...

20201125_135725.jpg

Also got my TreeStuff order. Haven't dug into it yet, but the Bag O'Rope looks better than my last one. No polypro!

20201125_135934.jpg

Unfortunately, they forgot to pack my RockO biner. I'll have to contact them. Pretty good day :^)

edit:
Just looked at the packing slip, and a throw weight, and TWO biners are on backorder. Forget what I order. They could probably throw whatever in a box, send it to me, and I'd think it's fine :^D

Last edited:
It's well known that locust doesn't rot. It's funny that this saying still persists despite the numerous evidences of the contrary.

It rots but it takes far longer than most other species

The centers seem to rot out on locust but the wood stays hard as hell forever. It’s good stuff.
Looks like you got some BRW in that bag-o-rope. Wanna sell a 15’ piece?

Those are good socks. Dunno if you have a Marshalls or TJMaxx out your way Jim, but they get nice wool socks around Christmas at a discount. If any are left after, it goes on sale dirt cheap.

BRW Rich? I think it's all Samson Arbormaster/Ascender aside from a piece of Mercury and a piece of TruBlue.

Ah, That's one I don't want to split. It's ~66' paced off, so I can use it for climbing. I've been wanting to try something that isn't a static rope, and that would be a good candidate.

I got a shorter piece of Safety Blue HiVee if you want some of that Rich, very similar, still new. Really have no use for it besides a short bit of it for a friction saver. Definitely can spare 20’ or so.

Back