How'd it go today?

Limestone around Lake Mead, the Las Vegas water source, is too calcium- rich...giving people kidney stones from long-term drinking of it, I heard, while working down there.

A truck and chipper just showed up across the street for some large (90'), old, dead as falling apart alders.
Should be interesting.

A questionable outfit, in the past.

@Mick! You might want to get checked by a dr if the pain increases beyond a tolerable level. They sometimes can't be passed without breaking them up first (they use sonic waves for that) and if they go to long they can't do that and might have to actually cut into you. Also it might not be kidney stones but something pressing on the ureters, your body will respond the same but it obviously won't pass. Also there's a risk of actual kidney injury, which could be lifelong.

Cranberry tablets would quickly resolve my cats issues, though it also seemed age related with her. I'm not sure what changes, but high PH can cause them to form.

A truck and chipper just showed up across the street for some large (90'), old, dead as falling apart alders.

Ahh, the old, 'neighbor got someone else to do their huge job'... generally is never a particularly pleasant thing to digest. Keep us posted :popcorn:

Cranberry tablets would quickly resolve my cats issues, though it also seemed age related with her. I'm not sure what changes, but high PH can cause them to form.

Inadequate hydration (not drinking enough in hot weather) seems to be a factor, and I’m certainly guilty of that.

Ahh, the old, 'neighbor got someone else to do their huge job'... generally is never a particularly pleasant thing to digest. Keep us posted :popcorn:
Seems it's not much of an easy Saturday job with new landscaping below crusty dead, dangerous trees. 4 guys, truck and big chipper, and pick up. Guy had out his climbing gear.
Went inside for a few minutes, got my hot breakfast to eat, and watch.
They pulled up and left while I was inside.
Nobody left the ground. NOT climber safe, imo. Easy crane and lift access.

Maybe more of 75-85', by eyeball.

Bark falling off, limbs falling off. IMG_20200912_093049088.jpg IMG_20200912_093053864.jpg IMG_20200912_093056988.jpg

In one day? How long of a period do you save up stumps over?
IN one day, by myself until 2 pm, then with a buddy til dark. we're doing stumps almost every day, so keeping up is the issue, with 30 stump jobs on the books waiting now. Sometimes get 12-15 calls a day... way more work than I could ever even look at much less do. I don't even try to look at many of the tree calls that come in. So I've been taking the low hanging fruit, while trying not to lose too many tree jobs. We had two major storms, EAB juts peaking and spotted lanternfly making many species so messy that they must be removed, all the while people are stuck at home and spending the vacation money on home improvements. I've been working 7 days a week until dark. Cracked 4K several times and 5K once so far. Have a 10K job sold that should be no more than 2 days. We're breaking all kinds of records.

Everybody else is booked too... My main competitor has an outgoing message saying not to even leave a message if you don't live within a 3-4 mile radius etc.. Tree companies are booked for months. No one can get help etc

Cleaning up around my computer station. Detangling wires, and picking stuff up the cats knocked over. Found an unmarked tapbox of snuff, took a fairly aggressive pinch, and almost took my head off. Apparently it was an American scotch, but I'm not sure which. Smoky and sweet. American scotches are bone dry, and ultra fine. A little goes a long way. They aren't typically taken nasally either. The traditional way is chewing a stick, dipping it in the can(where the term "dip" comes from in moist snuff), and sticking it in your cheek; mainly women did it I think.

I also found a small tube of Spanish Jewel. That's a made up name for a handmade snuff from Spain, that was a bit of an ordeal to get. A Spaniard had to make a long journey into the country to visit the old guy that made it, and he'd then ship some out to enthusiasts around the world. I got a bit as part of a trade. That'll take your head off too. Pure rustica, and kinda smells like feet, but it's better than it sounds. Powerful and unique snuff.

Fun day so far...

I don't mind the slack time, but I wish it were cooler so I could have some fun. I'm gonna be pissed if winter comes, and work gets too busy for my fun extra work.
Well, cool weather's getting close, and I just picked up a big ass job. Three bridges, and a whole bunch of roadway. Looks like winter will be busy :bangshead: OTOH, I could consider it a plus for missing out on the heavy work during a shitty hot summer. Not sure how that scale balances out...

Laid out some erosion and sediment control devices today. Not too bad. I went straight home, and I'll probably get started comping the new job. I have to be there Thursday. Got to fell a tree today...

IMG_20200914_103607.jpg

Barberchair! :^D I wish I had taken my silky. That saw used to be good, but I sharpened it years ago without knowing what I was doing, and I messed it up. I don't know how to make it right, and I don't think blades are made anymore. I've got it really sharp, but something in the profile makes it cut weird. I need to make some time to study it, and see if I can figure out how to fix it.

Jim...we have 3 of those silos on our farm....I'll send some pictures. Grandaddy used to keep corn in them for his cows. Now they are storage for dumb stuff...which I am going to get rid of soon.

Back