How'd it go today?

It's sad, the loss of people's homes, livelihoods, heirlooms, family photos, and other irreplaceable items. Loss of life worse still.

Might find some loss of life as well maybe. This is up into the John Muir wilderness areas. A lot of hikers and packers up there. A few groups have made it to high ground granite. Cases of butns and smoke inhalation. They rescue some, then the smoke makes it impossible. Then they get little windows to pull more out.
This was a holiday weekend here. Tons of people plan these trips on the John Muir trail and other trails. Lakes and rivers. Scary big, scary hot, scary terrain, scary fast. Type of fire that can nove 40, 60 100 mph.

Yearly checkup at the Doc today.

guess my blood pressure is a little high...160/80.

went to get blood drawn after the doc...went OK...only took one stab to get blood at least...good thing, 'cause they took three vials of it for a bunch of tests... :|: I'm betting this will all result in more medication suggestions...

Might find some loss of life as well maybe. This is up into the John Muir wilderness areas. A lot of hikers and packers up there. A few groups have made it to high ground granite. Cases of butns and smoke inhalation. They rescue some, then the smoke makes it impossible. Then they get little windows to pull more out.
This was a holiday weekend here. Tons of people plan these trips on the John Muir trail and other trails. Lakes and rivers. Scary big, scary hot, scary terrain, scary fast. Type of fire that can nove 40, 60 100 mph.

We are seeing some stuff about those fires over here, looks apocalyptic.

Yup the fires look bad.

Today went like a dream. Knocked over a load of trees, no drama. As we were leaving I decided to pull out with the trailer without the chipper loaded. Tight bend and after a bit of shunting I got it out. Facing down hill on gravel.

White van drives up the hill and wouldn’t move back to let me past. Single lane track so I am trying to reverse up the hill while this twat is driving up in front of me.

Truck is a 4x4 and slipping, Porsche 4x4 turbo job is in my drivers mirror. Audi A5 in the passenger. It started to loses traction and I was concentrated so much on the Porsche I reversed into the Audi as it suddenly got traction again.

Broken light on the trailer, no biggy. Scratch on the bumper and cracked a small light in the bumper of the Audi. Still probably an insurance claim... my excess will probably be what I cleared in profit for the day.

Oh, how I love working or free!

Last edited:
I am trying to reverse up the hill while this twat is driving up in front of me.

People are just trying to be unhelpful... Like when you're trying to back a trailer into a driveway, and they're concerned you didn't have enough of their headlights blinding you, so they make sure to stay close.

People act surprised when you tell them you're not able to safely move out of their way while they are blinding you, and that the more they keep moving for no reason in the driver's peripheral vision, creeping closer and closer, the longer it will take, so maybe they could quit shooting everyone in the foot.

Started the new job today, and was laying out LOD. Hot as shit, and really humid. Also a lot of skeeters. I was spraying myself with lavender water to keep the skeeters off, and I have to say it definitely maybe works :^D I got bit, but it didn't seem as much as it should have been considering the clouds of bugs. It also feels good, and smells nice. I also had some cedar oil on me, and I suppose it could have been that too, but that had faded by the time I got to the job.

I originally bought the essential oil(expensive!) to do something with fleas in the house. I think they came in through the screen door, and got on the cats. The cats won't sit on the floor now aside from eating or drinking. Assholes on the internet said lavender would work for fleas. These fleas don't seem to care, lavender or not.

A bunch of nice ERC on that job. I might cut some for myself. I'd like to find one I could get a few big cookies off of, maybe at the base. I want to make an ERC cat tower for the cats. Use a stem as the main column, and use cookies as the platforms.

bonus, here's a pic of my light belt. I use this when I'm mainly setting wire flags. I can also clip my 2511 to it for rough country, or put on my entrenching tool sheath for back country recon. That saw scabbard I made is working out pretty well. I finally got a system down to attach it, and it goes on/off easily...

IMG_20200908_144854.jpg

Rich, could be worse as you know, but I feel your pain

Stephen, what is your personal take on it all, given your very close and personal perspective.

Cory, forest mismanangement, over-regulated logging and grazing, added to a warming weather trend and drought, over grown forest has created the perfect storm tooo little too late even if action is taken.
We need to work on the scale and programs likw AZ did for the Rim Country. I will see if i can find that video for you. Very aggressive selective thinning with attention to marketing all the product.

So we called it a day at two hours in. 2nd day on the job. The wind had dtopped and then shifted some blowing the smoke down into the area we were working. Rob and Ty both smoke so they got it the worst. Ty sick to his stomache, Rob coughing and unsteady. My eyes just hurt and my lungs felt tired. I figured fight the fight another day. Rescheduled todays portion of the job and did a maintenance day.
This was in the news.

Are you at much risk of fire(generally speaking) where you live Stephen? I don't think I could deal with that, especially cause I like trees close around me. With sufficient acreage, I guess you could keep the flammables away from the house, but then you're sitting out in the middle of nothing.

Today kicked my ass. Finished up the LOD, and reshot my control. I was getting squirrely results checking yesterday. I think the heat shimmer was dicking up my gun. Hot again today, but cloudy, so better for shooting control.

My new Chinese compass came in, and it's as cheap as cheap can be, but I think it'll work well enough if it holds up to fieldwork, which is debatable. I got the super cheap plastic version, both due to price, and lighter weight. Still hoping my good one turns up. This one cost less tha the sales tax of my good compass :^D They outright plagiarized the Brunton manual they shipped with it. They even left the trademarked name in place. They just use theirs on the first and last pages :^D

IMG_20200909_151622.jpg

Are you at much risk of fire(generally speaking) where you live Stephen? I don't think I could deal with that, especially cause I like trees close around me. With sufficient acreage, I guess you could keep the flammables away from the house, but then you're sitting out in the middle of ......
We have been through a few. One got within a mile. We wont leave property unless its a full on fire storm coming we dont feel we'd survive. However, since fire protection thinning is what we do, we are in a good position to come through it. Most the properties and ours are cleared. Trees spaced. Animals eat all the grass on ours. And we sit on and are surrounded by acreage. Ours is 12. One 40, two 15s......
We have paved roads on two sides. Large driveways that allow fire trucks to basically come right in, go round and back out. Generators. 7000 gallon water storage on site. 1,000,000 gallon tank up th hill to a hydrant on the Corner of our land. Fire department kind of camps out here, intersection sometimes a helo port for foam or gel or evac. Pond up the street 40 acres we cleared around we have access to.
We are pretty safe. Smoke is a large issue. But we survived.

Oregon i sdcc having some bad ones. Washington too. Wonder about Willie and Burnam.

Back