How'd it go today?

Saw a couple eagles today. Less special than it used to be cause they're kinda common now. That's a good thing. Took a pic through my total station. Didn't turn out great, but not bad. First time I tried that. It was hard getting everything lined up and stable.

IMG_20200903_094412.jpg

Tricky day today, stump grinding on my own in the morning.
Then had the hired man round to sign the papers for his redundancy, as I have mentioned before, my nephew arrives next week to start work and I would struggle to keep two full time employees on the books, there was a bit of a stand off, but it sorted itself out in the end.

This has been hanging over me for a few weeks now, but it’s the start of a new era with new (Dempsey) blood in the business.

I am unusually upbeat at the moment.

I have high hopes, but that’s all they are, nothing is certain.

I arranged some casual work back in the UK over the last few weeks with a very accomplished climber/faller through Arbtalk, and he has only positive things to say about the lad, he breezed the college course.

One way or another it’s a new chapter.

Getting him some friends of his own age and getting him to learn the language is the big hurdle, but it’s doable.

Better than a lot of other languages. Anything Germanic or Romantic is pretty accessible. I'd be screwed if I had to learn Japanese, Arabic, or something.

If you work him hard enough he will just go home and sleep until the following work day.

Hé will be staying with us for at least three months, I’m not looking to exploit him (I know you’re joking) I would like him to take over the climbing and eventually take over the business.

At the very least I want him to be competent enough to travel around the world a bit and do the job to a decent level.

IMO, It is a good challenge to know the common names of trees in 2 languages. Makes for fun conversations with the family and friends from France.
@Mick! Are there any license requirements in France to make money as an Arborist?

Why not?

I wish I had chosen french over Russian in school.
Would be way more useful for me today.
But comrade why would you ever give up on Russian? Hahaha. I hear what you are saying. I for one wish I had better command of my mother tongue. Go ahead and insert a play on words.

Turned off the radio, and I'm listening to someone work the shit out of a 2stroke engine. Not sure what they'd be doing in the dark, but they aren't giving that poor thing a break.

Easy day. Nothing hard, and nothing fun. Just praying for fall....

Rather odd day... Started out with a 8-hour drive to South Georgia for my wife’s aunt’s funeral. Halfway there, her sister calls, saying that she and one of their brothers are at an ER in a small hospital a couple hours ahead of us. He’s had a heart attack. He’s 52. Had a double bypass 2-1/2 yeas ago. They rush him, via ambulance, back to Montgomery, where we were at the time. We stop for lunch, kill some time until they get there with him. They rush him straight to the Cath Lab, where they install two large stints (100% blockage in the right artery). They won’t let my wife in (thanks Covid!). Finally head on to destination, as there’s nothing we can do there, aside from sit in the car in the parking lot. Doc calls a bit later to say he’s fine and in recovery. We made it to her aunt’s wake 15 minutes before closing time. Crashing in motel currently. Funeral tomorrow morning, then an 8-hour drive home.

It’s good to be alive!

Last edited:
Took the day off. Went in early to finish some paperwork but was done and home before the kids got up. Headed south for the week end. Got here and mowed for a bit. Ya know there is 130 acres where I’m at and those damned yellow jackets decided to make a nest right where I parked the camper. Lit me up and got both my dogs as well. Camper got moved and I’m pretty sure I violated many codes of war. Chemical warfare followed by an all out fire bomb. I was trying to wipe out the entire species.

Had a bug up my ass to start using a pocket transit again at work, and can't find mine. I'm not sure if it ever made it home with me during my sabbatical. I paid $250 for the one I had, and they now sell for $450. Not an appealing purchase when mine might simply be misplaced. A reasonable Chinese copy is available for $55, or one that isn't quite as good for $25. Or I could use the one my mother gave me last jul, which is an Indian made copy designed to look "vintage", but is heavy as shit since it's honkin' chunk of brass, and not very precise, though it might be "good enough" for my purposes.

Anyway, I've been digging through the house trying to find mine, and broke my leatherman opening a stuck drawer. Blew the rivet out prying with the screwdriver. I'm objectively worse off than when I started...

Back