How'd it go today?

DAMN! I just got schooled by a six year old, BAD! Little snot, even sick, beat me 4 to 1 in connect four! I think I'm going to bed after that beating!

Damn, Greg. Condolences.

Those who know how will understand this how seriously small/easy of a step in applied math/physics this is, but this afternoon I taught myself how to apply the formulas to calculate moment of inertia, section modulus, radius of gyration, and a couple other simple things. From that I can calculate the stress in various shaped beams amongst other things. Really quite useful, and so simple it's amazing it's taken this long for me to figure it out. I just skipped those sections last time I read this book.

8)

Those who know how will understand this how seriously small/easy of a step in applied math/physics this is, but this afternoon I taught myself how to apply the formulas to calculate moment of inertia, section modulus, radius of gyration, and a couple other simple things. From that I can calculate the stress in various shaped beams amongst other things. Really quite useful, and so simple it's amazing it's taken this long for me to figure it out. I just skipped those sections last time I read this book.

8)

I suppose the converse of that statement would read something like......."Those who don't know how will not understand..........":lol: That would include me.....I declare Carl, your acquaintance has a humbling effect.....:|:

I bet most anyone here could do section modulous. For round tube/pipe the formula is .049 X (OD<sup>4</sup>-ID<sup>4</sup>). For round bar the formula is .049 X OD<sup>4</sup>.

Not going there Dennis! I get beat at connect four by a six year old, and Carl figures out "simple stress factor calculations"! Yeah, it's time for me to go to bed!

This gypo mobile Willie... Rides like a buck board. Shakes the piss out of ya. Ask Steve :lol:
Right when I got to Circle K in Turlock before I met Steve at McDonalds, The dang thing started idling rough. Plus it has a squeaky belt from the power steering pump leaking and going out. Of course the tranny would not idle down either because of the vacuum leak that was the problem with the idle :lol:
I tested a Chevron pole on our way too. Seemed to be mounted to the ground pretty good as it did not budge when I backed into it. :lol:
No radio. There is a list... :/:

Attachments

• P1010265.JPG
    P1010265.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 5
A friend of mine just dropped off some of his engineering books from when he was in college. So, maybe after I do some studying, I'll know what Carl is talking about.

Damn Greg! Not a good month! I'm sorry!
Dare I ask about the van, or do I need to duck and run?

Like I told my old man this afternoon.....I'd be scared if I were your brother in law right now.. I appreciate the condolences but this guy is in a better place right now.

Van is still at toyota. My wife was ripping the service manager a new one when I got home today. They were actually stupid enough to utter the words 9 out of 10 times a distracted mother leaves a door open....

We love the van I just wish they could figure out WTF is wrong with it.

I bet most anyone here could do section modulous. For round tube/pipe the formula is .049 X (OD<sup>4</sup>-ID<sup>4</sup>). For round bar the formula is .049 X OD<sup>4</sup>.

Don't forget this handy one:

1.273 x K / d / d = tensile strength in ksi.

Where K = break, in pounds
d = diameter of round stock, in inches

d = diameter of round stock

So, I was walking down the street today and I got to thinking, if I could lower the coefficient of friction between my shoes and the pavement, I could walk easier. I decided I would have to use a copolymer of plastic for the sole, then something semi-organic on the outer sole. So it's ABS for a footbed and then I...........................................

I so can't believe I forgot this!
This should make many of you feel a bit better if you think you had a bad day!
My buddy that knows the Kenworth and Freighliner buses runs the bus barn for the school here in town. I mentioned how cold it was, -14 with a -25 wind chill this morning.
Well, he called tonight and I was complaining they should have canceled school, my complaints were minor!
He had five buses that were gelled up.
Three buses that hit the ditch.
One bus driver that slipped off the top step and landed on the bottom step, broke L1 through L5 in her back.
High school student slipped getting into a bus and broke his ankle.
AND, our school district bought a new Mercedes Benz after a bus couldn't stop at an intersection and T-boned it!
Things didn't look so bad in my world after that call.

d = diameter of round stock, in inches
I have all that stuff in a book that I really don't use because I'm not designing a bridge over the Mississippi river nor a 1000 foot sky scraper in LA .

The engineering formulas are nice to know but like electronic formulas chances are there is a chart some place that figures it for you .Any more most likely computer soft ware no doubt .

My favorite is --if the heat of the meat equals the mass of the azz proportional to the angle of the dangle how long would it take a Billy goat to screw a bucket of water to the boiling point .--there will be a quiz later ---

Still feeling sickly today. Self medicating by drinking loads of water. Usually works, feel better, but haven't kicked the sick yet.

Put a new back flow valve on my sump pump today, well that was cheap and easy! Finally sold the dishwasher, electric range, and water heater this morning. Cash in hand, and no more working around them. Money from that will pay for the carpentry thats' going on tomorrow. Sweet!

Ordered an Evolution Rage 3 this morning too. Multi purpose saw for cutting wood, steel, plastic, masonry, tile, anything really. They are all the rage on a welding forum I frequent. Figured it's a good idea for the house, and metal projects I have on the burner. Next one I'll buy is there multipurpose circular saw, and a 14" chop saw for bigger steel projects.

rage3.jpg

Back