How'd it go today?

Took a group of basketball fans to Fayetteville yesterday to watch the OU Women play at 5:00. Didn't get to bed until 1:15 this morning. Up at 6:00 for work.

I'm falling asleep at my desk.

I got home and it's dark and cold (ish, 22 F). Saw my truck sitting behind the garage covered in snow and had to hear it run, just to pretend I might actually get it fixed someday.:roll: Hooked up the batteries, let it pre-heat, and it fired right off and idled without any sputtering. That truck starts better in the cold than most things do in August.

Worked half day pruning apple trees, then boss took us out to lunch for x-mas.

Just ran down and picked up filters for the mini. Oil change day tomorrow. Mini and Toyota def. need oil change, the 1965 Simplicity, and the log loader are somewhat fresh, but I'm changing to synthetic for the winter for easier turn over when cold. So if a case of oil will do, everything but the Ford and chipper will get some fresh oil.

Ahh, those are nice. I too had to put one in my chipper, it was supposed to come with it, but somehow it didn't. JD sent it out for free, and was an easy install.

It was about time to change the coolant anyways, but yeah like you said it was an easy install. The only bad part was that I didn't buy enough coolant from JD the first time, so I had to make two trips. :) Is there a noticeable improvement in cold starts by switching to synthetic oil? I have royal purple in the bucket truck and I figured the block heater in it contributed the most to helping out in the cold.

From what I've heard people notice it.

I'm only doing it on my small engines first, as it won't really hurt the bank anyways. If I know I'm going to be running the Ford, or the chipper, I'll plug them in the night before. I don't use them much in the winter unfortunately for my wallet, but fortunately for the longevity of the machines. (salt/rust, cold starts, blah blah)

If I need them on a whim, they've never let me down anyways.

called in for an emergency job last night. coast live oak fell onto neigbors house. 40 footer, maybe 50, whole crown on roof. smashed water heater panels and punched a couple holes in the roof. brushed it out enuf to get a tarp on the roof and called it a night. back today, brushed the rest, cut the wood down to load bearing limbs, then propped a couple rounds under the trunk (no other trees to tie it off to) and cut it free. everything went great till i was cutting big rounds and the bar and chain started to build up what i can only call varnish. it always happens cutting live oak, this time it was so bad that the chain locked up on the bar. i went through 3 saws to get the job done. i know that simple green works great for getting the varnish off, but i wonder if you guys have any tricks to keep it happening in the first place. i might try mixing a little diesel in the bar oil next time, see if that helps. all in all, a good day. oh, btw, all the roots were rotten, and we just pruned the tree in oct/nov.

We ground 12 stumps, and replanted 7 1.75" trees and 5 2.5" trees today. Long, tiring day, 8 more tomorow and back to pruning!

Attachments

• 1220100859a.jpg
    1220100859a.jpg
    422.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 1220100859b.jpg
    1220100859b.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 1220100900a.jpg
    1220100900a.jpg
    371.2 KB · Views: 2
What's wrong with it?

Transmission is toast. I bought it new in '02 for $2700 plust CT sales tax. In '07 they wanted $5600 for a reman. I think I can rebuild it for ~$750. I'm going to try and tighten things up enough to use the woodstove in the garage, then I'll shove it inside.

Shoot some video for your website. It would perfectly illustrate what you can do with that tool.

Not sure if we will get a break in the cloud here either but its an excuse to go for a late night wander. :)

YUK Willie! But a nice job!
Hung with Bubba, got him the next two weeks, went and had time with the sister and her hubby, they wanted some "Bubba time", it was cool.
Paul will understand this,
I managed to build a car on GT5 that I cannot drive! This thing is ignorant! Lamborghini Murcelogo ST, maxed out, total light weight, 825hp. it's so fast it can't corner! I was driving it on Daytona doing 205 in the corners, 230 on the straights! Get this thing in some tight corners, it's over! I'm trying like hell to beat "De la Sarthe" in Expert, the car is plenty fast enough, but God help you in the corners!
This is ten times the game GT4 was!

Back