How'd it go today?

Yup, it's good business. More often then not the customer will appreciate it ime, whether they're hiring you or not.

Just curious, how many of you are trying to close at the time of the bid? A lot of people need a nudge to make a decision.

"I can do the job for this, I can put you on the schedule for next Thursday."

I agree with Mike and Skwishie. One follow up call a few days to a week later to get an answer, yes or no, is perfectly acceptable. I despise unsolicited callers as well, but if I call somebody for a quote then it's perfectly acceptable for them to check back if I haven't followed through.

On a different note, I made a quick easy $100 in about 20 minutes today without even firing up a saw. I moved four concrete picnic tables at a restaurant. They only had to move about 40' so I didn't even have to reset the truck.

I'll call them once if there was a scheduling concern and offer them to get ahead of the crunch. Pretty much from past experience, if I have not heard from them (98 % of the time) they have gone elsewhere. The other 2% have lost/misplaced my estimate, card etc and want the call. Is the two percent worth it.. ? Occasionally. I can pretty much remember which jobs I would want and what ones I don't. Often times that will eliminate some of that 2% :lol:

Ever since I started faxing/emailing/mailing my proposals I have been much more successful, and haven't really felt the need to follow up. I'm sure when I have to put food on the table for other besides myself my opinion may change, but for now I am happy with the way everything is going.

I probably get 80% of the jobs I bid. Of that 80%, I close 85-90% at the time of the bid. I looked back through the last 50 jobs I've done and saw 2 jobs I didn't close at the time of the bid. I've done 116 jobs this year, and have 9 on the books. All 9 closed at the time of the bid or were bidless.

Next year I plan on keeping track of bid/closure and a few other things.

If I were hard up for money, I might call around.

Just curious, how many of you are trying to close at the time of the bid? A lot of people need a nudge to make a decision.

"I can do the job for this, I can put you on the schedule for next Thursday."

I actually go the low pressure route, if people hem and haw, I often tell them to think it over and call back.

Bid a job this morning on the way to the track, got that. Rode a good hour at the track, bike will sure need some work this winter, clutch sure makes more noise than it should. Not bad for about 100 hrs on it. Got home a pigged out, then just splurged at Sierra Trading Post. Settled with some Asolo Fugitives as they didn't have the Sasslongs in my size. Thats OK, I've had them in the past. A Smartwool hat topped off the order, and 20% off code from retailmenot.com.

Woo hoo, saved about $40 off there price, almost $150 retail!

Wow I can't type.

I mean to share this yesterday but I forgot. As I was climbing my tree the other day I felt a little wobbly as if I was sugar bonking. I told my daughter that I need to come down for a snack. She said do you want me to send you up a snack? I said sure and she ran inside got me a banana and put it on a throwball line I had been using. I pulled it up and she had it set perfectly. I congratulated her own doing it so well and she said "I just did one daisy chain and put the banana in." My new 19 year old ground guy would have taken longer to figure out how to put a banana on a line. Most adults would have had to think about the task. I was very impressed.

I'm sure he screens a lot of his calls over the phone, deciding that he doesn't want to bid them based on his initial impression of the customer or if he isn't interested in the type of job described.

True. And one doesn't like to go on a wasted trip. But at the same time you want to get the max you reasonably can for the job. I'm under the impression that 50-60% is a good closure rate

That is awesome, Darin!

I've only screened one call that I remember, I'm sure I have done more, but I try to bid everything that gets called in. The one I screened was a guy I took some trees down for last year. Had a job for his neighbour, needed to use his property to get to the tree. He agreed when I bid the job, but when I went to do it he said no. That was a couple months ago.

I could be to cheap, or below market value rather, but I'm exceedingly pleased with my current rates. I met this year's gross income goal this month, and will be 16% over after I complete the work currently on the books. This summer was rather lean though.

I'll bid just about anything someone is serious about.

Went with my wife and a friend to Mount Rainier's NW side, where the main road was washed out by some serious flooding a few years back. Much improved since our last trip during that destructive winter.

We rode our bikes up the road/ trail for 4 miles, uphill, then hiked 4 miles to the Carbon Glacier. First time seeing a glacier up close. We hiked back down, then enjoyed a 20 minute downhill cruise with little pedaling.

Collected some mushrooms along the way. Great views. Big trees. Took some pictures. A great escape away from the house.

I actually go the low pressure route, if people hem and haw, I often tell them to think it over and call back.

I agree with you on this Willie.

Though, I may start to go the route to give them the information that I have. Here's the price $xx. We schedule jobs mostly on a first come, first served basis, so we'd be looking at being able to take care of it next Thursday if you decide now that you want us to do it, and you can have as much time as necessary to think about it.

Darin, Please send Haley ASAP I will happily pay her $9 per hour, buy her lunch each work day and kick $5.50 per hour your way since you are the hiring agency.

Back