How'd it go today?

Today went great.

I was a hired gun for a part time tree company. Guy is a retired school teacher, umpire, and his dad was a lumberjack. I was a little uneasy as he has no equipment as far as truck, chipper, ropes....he just hires it all out and drags brush like a champ. I was unsure of his qualifications. His son ran ropes for me, pretty well too. I got paid $75/ hr. He was thrilled, as was I, and he'll call back for more he says.

I just bid myself out of bid sheets and need to head off to Kinkos. I'll have to order more this time. Its very wet here today and although I have work to do net week is supposed to be sunny and in the eighties all week, so I am saving it all until the rain ends. Next week is filled and then on Friday its off to our annual trip to the Cascades and Redfish Lake.

Attachments

• DSC02212.JPG
    DSC02212.JPG
    477.6 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC02222.jpg
    DSC02222.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 14
Aha,vacation for two weeks .Most likely not a lot of fun as I have to replace the main water lines in the house . A day or two,big deal .

Tomorrow night might be a party thing because 38 Special will be playing at our yearly "Square Fair " thing .

Day was supposed to be a raking 2 days for a customer and trim out a couple of trees. One clearance for the hot tub and the other roof clearance. I ended up dead wooding both live oaks on top of the clearance prune. Then she had me prune out the mistletoe and thin out the over growth in the trees. :D Then she told me I need to dead wood the good sized live oak on the drive and take care of any thing I might see. I think I may get another two days out of her too.. WOW.... I love clients like this.. I got to free climb one of the oaks to set my TIP and prune some on the way up. Was a blast :D And I get payed to haul off and rake over 15 yards of leaves :lol: Rakes are a serious return for the dollar..!:lol:

Today went well. I climbed two trees, a Maple and a Hickory. Maple was just deadwooding, which it was in some serious need of. Hickory I had to remove a limb over some wires. My first experience with dealing with electric wires. I used a spider leg to balance the piece, made one cut, and it swung away nice and clean.8)

Second job was a Pin Oak limb removal. We set the lines, Dad climbed, made two cuts, chipped it all, and we're out of there!

Third job we skipped. We stopped and checked it out, but it was a large 12" diameter Ash limb around 35' long going over a house. Only had an hour or so left in the day, so we decided to break off early.

I came home from camping to go to my nephew's concert. I had to give a couple of other guys a ride down and the guy lives at the same apartment complex as my parent's and I ran into them, my older sister and my nephew the musician. I gave my nephew a ride to the fair grounds and went home and returned some work calls. I had two bids and since one was a consult on a tree that had just broken a large limb and had a bunch of other suspect limbs I took the forestry truck to the bids and inspected the tree. I then went to the concert and had to stand and my feet are killing me. I'll post a couple of videos pretty quick.

Mrs Smiths 'putor went on the fritz, bad power supply , 300 watt deal .

I ordered a new one from Tiger Direct,650 watts .Should be here mid week I imagine .

Just got home from up north.
Got up to where I was going to teach some climbers and got to watch the taping of the demo video for Dynamic Manufacturing's newest chipper. Pretty awesome machine I thought.
After the taping rode out to the owners Hunting lodge on 225 acres and hung out w/his 2 climbers and a groundsman for the afternoon went through my climbing gear,demonstrated some of the ways I access and move around in trees. Then took most experienced climber up with me and for some controlled cuts and rigging instruction.
Really nice bunch of guys, an I had a great time helping them out. I never asked for anything but gas $, but got paid about $40/hr.

Stopped by my Uncles place on the way back and had big old jam session w/family and friends and ended up sleeping in his pole barn last night. Had a really great time.

Was it a conehead chipper?? Ive always been fascinated with the design of those and the claim of up to 60% less fuel consumption..... Whats your take on that Fiddler??

PC,
I don't know about the fuel consumption. The model they were doing the video on was the new 15" "disc cone?". 125hp. I talked to the owner of DM for a few minutes while they were loading up to leave.
The biggest thing that amazed me was the screening capability that controls size of the chips. I've not seen hundreds of types of chippers in use but didn't know they had this capability for totally uniform sizing of chips and choosing of the size for selling for different applications.
wish I had took some pic of the little quarter inch squares they filled the truck with.

Thats why I loved my little old Bandit 65, made some 1/4" chips and really packed the truck heavy.

Today I dropped some trees in the am, messed with the new truck toy, then went riding. Just got back smelling like a wet sock, unloaded, going to shower then make a burger.

day started out well, got the wife and boy up early to go "hunting" (hiking with a rifle) and we went up the wagner butte trail. Trevin hiked in about 3/4 of the way and I packed him 85% of the way out. The grass pics are a big slide from back in 1983 that was 4 miles long and something like 400,000 tons of material. One of the bigger slides in the PNW. The 6th and 7th are up the slide and down the slide. The ones where he and I are sitting were of us tickling each other with grass.
Then I got home and found out my bucket truck needs new front brakes, and they have to pull a rear wheel to fix a brake adjuster. Along with the DOT inspection should be well over 500 bucks:(

Attachments

• wagner butte 011.jpg
    wagner butte 011.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 6
  • wagner butte 014.jpg
    wagner butte 014.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 5
  • wagner butte 018.jpg
    wagner butte 018.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 6
  • wagner butte 021.jpg
    wagner butte 021.jpg
    334.4 KB · Views: 5
  • wagner butte 022.jpg
    wagner butte 022.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 5
  • wagner butte 023.jpg
    wagner butte 023.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 5
  • wagner butte 024.jpg
    wagner butte 024.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 5
  • wagner butte 025.jpg
    wagner butte 025.jpg
    374.6 KB · Views: 5
  • wagner butte 026.jpg
    wagner butte 026.jpg
    388 KB · Views: 5
  • wagner butte 027.jpg
    wagner butte 027.jpg
    370.1 KB · Views: 5
  • wagner butte 028.jpg
    wagner butte 028.jpg
    340 KB · Views: 5
  • wagner butte 031.jpg
    wagner butte 031.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 5
Today went from normal to great!!! Came home after helping Dad with a chore to find the Series Two DVD set in the mail!!!

Watched the first DVD and wow, so much information to take in!!! My favorite was the Chainsaw and Cuts section. Those two really opened my eyes to all the different techniques climbers can employ in their work.

Willie, thats really cool. how old is Trev these days? I never fancied hiking unarmed up in the bush much but since handguns are pretty much forbidden around here maybe a rifle would be a better option. were you looking for anything or carrying 'just in case'? :)

It's bear and cougar season now. My wife wanted to go hiking so I cancelled my day hunting with bubba. Had a .45 but figured any shot would be at a distance with a little boy pointing out "big wood" and "chainsaw" cuts and shouting "shoot bear" :lol:

Awesome pics of all three of you and the hike Willie.. Trevin sure is the little trooper :) Beautiful up there.

Had a great day today and got payed. Climbed and trimmed a couple trees of which I got to really work one of them. Did a couple crown reductions on two small chinese pistache off the orchard ladder. They are right under a primary so the lady wanted me to do them instead of Asplundh for the power co. :lol::lol:

We raked and removed 2 acres of oak leaves (about 40 yards :O ) and got compliments from the customer, neighbors and a couple contractors. Felt good :)

She is probably having us back to lift the trees on the back 2 acres this fall :)

Now I have to get ready to take Katy out and go see my cousins band :)

Ground three stumps today, did a couple small estimates both of which were just on site approvals and....................secured my big bid. 14g bid for a bunch of work to a lakefront stata.8)

Yah, I'm stoked.

And yes Paul is correct but lucky that those pitbulls(or any type of dog for that matter) weren't trying that action in my neighborhood, as we're not all unarmed.

squish, I understand, I did say 'mostly' ;)

I am workin on building a few bucks up for a self preservation tool myself. :)

Great pics Willie, you're a lucky guy. :)

Feeling pretty good today, just did a bit around the house and yard.

Friday was 17 days straight and it caught up with me yesterday, couldn't get going at all.

Had a good rest, only went outside to get some firewood and feed the chickens, seems to have worked. :D

Back