How'd it go today?

The dump trailer before I bought Roberts had a c-channel frame, the floor was already warped from welding alone...def. learned you get what ya pay for.

The new trailer has a square main frame, much more heavy duty. If you need I can take all the pics you want...I still owe ya Willie. :)

It was 90 here Saturday with 80% or greater humidity. Thats what kills us around here, is the humidity.

But man, today was AWESOME!!! I got to do a small Pine Removal before lunch, so I was able to get some spike time in. I also dropped 4 Pine sticks, around 20' high, each with a pull line. For the most part, they went where I wanted them to go, but when you look at the stump there are definitely areas I need to improve on. Like my back cut, my first stick was below the face. The next 3 were better, but each had some slope to it. Have to work on getting that bar flat during my back cut.

After that I did 2 Maples that had old Ice storm damage. Not huge trees, but good practice for the comp and helping me on work positioning. And tomorrow is more climbing and pruning dead wood. WOO!!!!

Pics and vids to come when I get the camera.

Try this for getting the back cut flat, Adrian:

Drop down with one knee on the ground and the other knee up. Prop the body of the saw on top of the up knee, and lower your head to sight down the bar...level is easier to see that way for most people. Then hoist the saw up or move your knee to drop it down to get the back cut at the right elevation relative to the horizontal cut of the face. Check it this way a time or two, and you'll be alot closer to level, I bet.

The dump trailer before I bought Roberts had a c-channel frame, the floor was already warped from welding alone...def. learned you get what ya pay for.

The new trailer has a square main frame, much more heavy duty. If you need I can take all the pics you want...I still owe ya Willie. :)

By weight, C channel's cross section is more efficient at beaming loads than square tubing.

Or, if you take a piece of square tubing, and using the same amount/weight of metal, make it into a piece of channel, the channel can support more beaming weight.

My trailer has a channel tongue, rectangular tubing for the lower frame, square tubing for the body's frame, and channel for the cross members.

My equipment trailer (like most equipment trailers in that size) had a channel tongue, channel sides, and channel cross members. Rectangular tubing for the 18" sides.

I'm going to the kids day camp like last year to set some ropes and drag kids up a tree. Last year my legs were tired after pulling 50 something people up. This year one of my competitors is going to come and help. Should be fun again, maybe 2 stations and the kids can spend just a we bit more time aloft with 2 of us there

Today went better. Not near as hot! We managed to get a truck in at 8:30, needed three yards, ordered three and a half, figurd this three times, and we were a half yard short?
I've got the wonderful concrete burns on my knees now. Thats new, must be getting soft:?
Off for lunch, I think I am done for the day!

Did a job I've been putting off. 4 dead Ash sticks covering in PI, and vines, along a overgrown property line. Brought my gf's brother along with me as he needed some $, I woulda been better off myself but that's another story. Also had to do two small cherry trees, there was more brush than I woulda thought with just the dump trailer and the mini. Wood ended up going in the truck, brush in the trailer, and got the mini in there somehow. Note to self: build sides on trailer.

Job is done before noon, money in the bank just in time for it to disappear.

Oh, and I heard back on a fair bid I gave.

He said " I was wondering if you can match the price of this guy Surge, he is "questionable" but if you can match his $100 a tree price you can have the job".

So I left him a little message of what I thought, I don't think I said anything too mean, but the guy just kinda pissed me off.

For $100 a tree I can do questionable work too. It might even be questionable as to whether or not I did any work. :D

took down a really tall white oak, I shot the line in and my 180' zing it was 20' short:\: Pulled in a rope and we did a jump test and got about 10' out of it. I figure my Wraptor ride was 90'+. I knew I was through some big crotches but I hate it when I cannt see what Im on. All was good. Blasted out all the brush, came down and ran the wheel loader to chip. Rode back up and got the wood out then loaded it on the K-boom. Sitting in the AC cooling off before I head back to grind the stump.......Got some awesome logs which we will be milling tommorrow

That's one of the things that is making me put away pennies for my own. It's real brutal watching ground people try to run a machine they aren't familiar with (mini loader). Fly up, make a mess, zip down and chip, fly back up, repeat as many times as necessary. Just setting up blocks for a GRCS tree or something. Goddamn.

I've been putting away some cash in an envelope marked Paul...sooner or later one would be mine.

I might just even have a brand new toolbox waiting it's arrival to be mounted on the truck. :/:

Man, today was awesome!!! Climbed around 10 trees today, with the last two being fair sized Pin Oak. I got some great practice in and had a great time!! Got my fair share of leaps and swings in! Also found that when you climb on a daily basis, everything seems to flow and you build more confidence. I found myself doing things I wouldn't have done a week ago. Definitely builds confidence when you climb daily.

Indeed it is most excellent for burns, Brian and Leon. We keep a couple of plants in the house just for that, though they are attractive potted plants as well.

ALWAYS have aloe around.

Today was...uh...interesting.

I put the entire front passenger tire of the truck into a hidden sinkhole this morning.....all the way so the truck was resting on the frame at that corner. I had to walk home. Glad I brought water. Wish I'd brought sunscreen.

We just got back, took all three of us to get it done but it came out fine.

Took out a medium sized spruce today. Rigged down the top and trunk. It was rather uneventful, just the way I like it.8)

By weight, C channel's cross section is more efficient at beaming loads than square tubing.

Or, if you take a piece of square tubing, and using the same amount/weight of metal, make it into a piece of channel, the channel can support more beaming weight.

My trailer has a channel tongue, rectangular tubing for the lower frame, square tubing for the body's frame, and channel for the cross members.

My equipment trailer (like most equipment trailers in that size) had a channel tongue, channel sides, and channel cross members. Rectangular tubing for the 18" sides.

:thumbup: Channel or I beam for weight bearing. most decent trailers use 3 inch channel for the cross pieces on 16 inch or 24 inch centers. 3 inch I beam for heavy duty service All depends on how heavy duty trailer you want.

Back