How'd it go today?

oh, had a semi famous consumer today, I saw a fellow I thought I recognized and it was the fellow I thought it was. Had a decent conversation with him and figured out his christmas tree. :D
Dale Walters

Cool Paul.

Just plowing and spreading sand over the world. I should be just about caught up for the next little storm on wednesday.8)

yup. Wednesday is the next day predicted for icey and snowy precip around this part of the continent. work hard and sleep well Squishieman.

Not doing anything!! Hanging at home with the boy and staying warm!!!!

Be careful out there plowing, I remember how tired you got last year!!!

Pulled the motor out of my "new" Bobcat mini today. All the bearings are shot and number 1 cylinder is pretty bad. :X Taking it to the machine shop tomorrow to see what can be done. :what:

Went to the machinery auction on Saturday. Sold my old Ford for next to nothing, bought a brand new small trailer for my stump grinder and root pruner. I was high bidder on a Prodigy mini with a trailer and a bunch of attachments, but still came in $2K below the reserve price. :? Oh well, maybe next month. :/:

Another down note on the economy. I got a call from a Christmas tree lot to see how much I'd charge them to chip up there trees. They have been selling two or three a day and have around five hundred. They are losing their shorts and want to cut their losses and close up shop on Sunday. One small business to another, I will help them on a time and materials basis. They are going to end up thousands in the hole on something that was supposed to help supplement their income. Ouch.

They are on one of the busiest roads in our area. I have no idea why they are tanking so hard. I told my climber Jim about them. He is a mormon and they take trees around to people in the congregation who can't afford them. They are basically giving the trees away at this point so they don't have to deal with them.

Most Christmas trees around here go for fish beds. Maybe I can talk some people into chipping them. I guess I could not really play the go green Card.

Fish bed is about as green as it gets!

i chip around that many for the boyscouts every january, shouldnt take more than a few hours if you dont have to mess with the stands. make sure theres no screws in the bottom and shove em in top first

Where I work we are charging the same price as last year and selling many trees. I think on the weekend we did near 225 trees each day. Six guys on deck at the busiest time from about 11 to 2:30. Prices range from 15 (3-5' bush cut douglas fir, aka charlie brown tree)to 300 bucks (12-13' noble fir, we had 5, so far sold 2 but we can make them smaller if necessary :shifty: ). The most common is 6-7' cultured douglas fir, $35, next is 5-6' noble fir, 'sale' price of $40.

Our guy here usually sells his lot... save for maybe a couple that often look like the runts of the litter..... LOL But he still really has quite a few trees this year. You have good prices up there Paul. Up here they are over priced and really not the better trees I have had or seen. We run about 5-10.00 more in each size range and they don't sell the bigger ones up here. Biggest you can get is almost 8 foot.

Back