How'd it go today?

Damned lake effect weather,stuck in the driveway.:( It looks like this storm has dumped about a foot of snow so far.

If the old dozer will fire up I'll attack the white stuff when the sun comes up.

Oh,it isn't that bad,a house full of food,12 cords of split firewood,a refridgerater full of beer,perhaps a little twinkle in the eye;)

Damned lake effect weather,stuck in the driveway.:( It looks like this storm has dumped about a foot of snow so far.

If the old dozer will fire up I'll attack the white stuff when the sun comes up.

Oh,it isn't that bad,a house full of food,12 cords of split firewood,a refridgerater full of beer,perhaps a little twinkle in the eye;)

I like the way you think, Al! 8)

Yea well,if so I would have laid hands on that damned old dozer.It protested,refused to start.I thought about beating on it with a large hammer but resisted the urge.:(

I got-er-done with a rear blade on a Feurgeson tractor .Not the best but beats a shovel any day.Heavens,550 foot of driveway with 3 foot drifts of snow,geesh.Mumble, grumble,chit.:whine:

Holy ride Deva!

What kept you from going higher and taking smaller peices? Looks like he did much better with the trunk pieces, I hate going for rides like that, guess the tree was still fairly strong!

Holy ride Deva!

What kept you from going higher and taking smaller peices? Looks like he did much better with the trunk pieces, I hate going for rides like that, guess the tree was still fairly strong!

He missed judged the piece, I thought it looked huge from the ground,
then from the top I thought, It's not that big.

I didn't know he had so many wraps, nor did I ask.

To answer your question Carl, individually the branches didn't have the
lean to clear the other trees as much as The whole top possesed.

Pete, I was already to bail out if I heard the crack or notice the tree
fail to return from the swing. I tied into a different tree.

i guess getting stuck deep with a thorn from a tree in a cattle feedlot, then putting my gloves back on and continuing on for the day wasn't in my best interest.............oops.

Hopefully the antibiotics will kick in fairly quick......

Pete, I was already to bail out if I heard the crack or notice the tree fail to return from the swing. I tied into a different tree.

Deva, tell me about this...your TIP would be in a nearby tree so you can swing out. I assume that means your lanyard is in the takedown tree. If you are leaning back into your lanyard and sawing the piece and realize the spar is splitting where you are or the base is breaking/destructing, that means you have to dump the saw (remembering to engage the chainbreak), get your weight off the lanyard so you can unsnap it (your balance may be getting subjected to strange G-forces by now) and then bail out?

Or are you using some kind of quick-release lanyard system?

I experimented with this some awhile back with mixed results. I have seen a video of Graeme McMahon cutting a huge top and from a distance you can see him struggling a bit with his lanyard to get free so he can swing out of the way.

Is there a good system for a quick-release lanyard for times when you need to get away in a hurry?

Is there a good system for a quick-release lanyard for times when you need to get away in a hurry?

I have a shorter rope lanyard just for this purpose. I simply take the knot out of the end and keep my vt as loose as possible. I have also tied in with a couple of different releasable hitches that will let go with a single pull. eg the highwaymans hitch
http://www.layhands.com/Knots/Knots_Hitches.htm

Jeez! Force 10 gales here. been clearing roads from huge windblown trees, had to cut one poor girl out of her car. just finished sorting out a massive oak windblown over a main road into a huge beech. whutta mess!

Deva, tell me about this...your TIP would be in a nearby tree so you can swing out. I assume that means your lanyard is in the takedown tree. If you are leaning back into your lanyard and sawing the piece and realize the spar is splitting where you are or the base is breaking/destructing, that means you have to dump the saw (remembering to engage the chainbreak), get your weight off the lanyard so you can unsnap it (your balance may be getting subjected to strange G-forces by now) and then bail out?

Or are you using some kind of quick-release lanyard system?

I experimented with this some awhile back with mixed results. I have seen a video of Graeme McMahon cutting a huge top and from a distance you can see him struggling a bit with his lanyard to get free so he can swing out of the way.

i would think as long as you ave another tie in a non loncking biner would be acceptable. fewer functions the better

If it was fully weighted you could not undue it. Emergency= cut the lanyard or go with pete's idea of a vt that slides off the end. I used a big PIKA ice hook once for that. Pound it in slightly hang, if tree blows, hook would pop. I don't recommmend this but it works. The hook can turn into a deadly projectile!!:O

i guess getting stuck deep with a thorn from a tree in a cattle feedlot, then putting my gloves back on and continuing on for the day wasn't in my best interest.............oops.

Hopefully the antibiotics will kick in fairly quick......

We need a picture of that.

If it was fully weighted you could not undue it. Emergency= cut the lanyard or go with pete's idea of a vt that slides off the end. I used a big PIKA ice hook once for that. Pound it in slightly hang, if tree blows, hook would pop. I don't recommmend this but it works. The hook can turn into a deadly projectile!!:O

I agree with John...put your weight back on a biner, or lanyard snap, and try to release either one...I don't think you can. We need to experiment with stuff like that before we have to count on it. Give it a go and let us know how it does.

The VT-off-the-end of the lanyard is a good idea, the hwyman hitch, too. The ice hook sounds like a "Nightmare of Elm Street" Jason/Freddy Cougar scene...would have to be cool to see the customer's face when you set THAT scene up!!!

Back