How'd it go today?

didnt realize how bad my old bar was!
16" .050 full chisel yellow chain in ~15" wet red oak, deflector/spark screen delete

Well, went to the express care medical center for prednisone in the buttocks and an oral prescription. I got on it before any blistering occurred. The long clothing and 2 Tecnu showers didn’t prevent the poison Ivy from taking hold. I figured it was a good chance it would come to steroids but cut those vines anyway. The doctor didn’t think it was a stupid move when I showed her a picture of the tree.

I thought about Stephens trick with Ivory bar soap but it was just WAY too hot and humid. It would have run off my skin in 5 minutes.

Hopefully that'll keep it in check. Do you get poison ivy bad? I'll end up with a mild rash, but nothing terrible. Dunno if it's natural resistance, or my hyper vigilance avoiding it.

Hopefully that'll keep it in check. Do you get poison ivy bad? I'll end up with a mild rash, but nothing terrible. Dunno if it's natural resistance, or my hyper vigilance avoiding it.
Hit or miss really. The spruce you and I did together only yielded a few small blisters on my forearms which wasn’t bad considering the quantity entangled in it. Many times I just get a touch and it takes 2-3 days. This was by far the largest dose I’ve had and I was red 14hrs after exposure. I’m confident the roids will kick it very quickly.

I just got the wasp. That was my big accomplishment today :^D I think the boy may have gotten stung, but I'm not sure. Hard to tell with cats. They're pretty stoic and don't make a big display of discomfort or pain.

Stupid heavy rain and thunderstorms here snapped a ~70', boomerang shaped, Norway Maple in my front yard. Third tree in 8 months to take out utility lines to my house. Will have to spend tomorrow cleaning it up to rescue siding piece that was ripped off and give me room to repair the wall section below the roof that went with it. Photo soon after phone charges a bit..

Been a hell of a year hasn't it? No winter, relatively cool spring/summer, started in drought, and still are, but storms for going on a month now. Almost every day at least threatens rain, and a lot of the rain that comes is in torrents.

currently 3:05AM, been up since yestermorning, just made coffee, laid in bed for too long and haven't fallen asleep so I gave up, early start today, not a work day of course, guess I'm going to sit around and be lazy all day, family has some friends coming from out of town so I cant work the next 3 days anyways.

found a cool picture of a giraffe on facebook

the term "absolute unit" comes to mind when I see how those knees handle that!
fun fact for those that haven't met one in person, their tongues are freakishly long.
thats all, I should go to bed, but I wont be doing that, coffee is just finished
358138390_648153597350208_3768203177804920638_n.jpg

Marc, hope you feeling even better today.
Yes, the fewer decreased during sunday and the throat calmed down a bit. I quit moving in slow motion, I had a lunch and a good sleep this night. It isn't finished yet, but it comes closer to normal.
The recovery appears to be quicker than for even an usual cold, so I guess that my system already knew this aggressor. It probably just took some time to put the counter mesures in production, instead of elaborating a new set for an unknown encounter. A previous flue some years ago put me down for a full month, with the main battle lasting two weeks. So I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

Went out to see Spot and noticed a locust blew over in the storms we had. It's just a little thing. Maybe 3"x12'. I straightened it up and staked it. This happened once before when it was smaller. Y'all think this will be an ongoing problem? Some kind of fundamental defect in the root system? It's not a big deal now, but if I let it turn into a big tree, it'll threaten the house. Cull or not?

Went out to see Spot and noticed a locust blew over in the storms we had. It's just a little thing. Maybe 3"x12'. I straightened it up and staked it. This happened once before when it was smaller. Y'all think this will be an ongoing problem? Some kind of fundamental defect in the root system? It's not a big deal now, but if I let it turn into a big tree, it'll threaten the house. Cull or not?
pics? how close to the house? its only a judgement call but I would brace it and let it atleast triple in size before making a decision
who am I kidding, I would cut it down, BUT the technical "right" way I believe would be to make reasonable attempt to save it

Our arborist did a presentation on trees blown over in hurricanes. Basically, he does not recommend keeping them. Ha, there was a lot more to it than that but bottom line, they can and probably will fail again.

It isn't super close; maybe 12'-15', but they're tall trees, and weigh as much as lead :^D It's just a tree that popped up, and I saved it. It isn't great location in any case. I generally take a Darwinian approach to trees that come up. If they aren't a nuisance, I let them fight amongst themselves for a spot, and remove the ones I don't like or turn into a problem; retaining the winners. This one doesn't appear to be a winner. I'll give it more thought over the next year or two, and see what happens. I guess it'll go though.

15ft is pretty close to the house, roots cracking foundations is a real big issue, I did a big oak last year that was ~12ft across the stump and about the same away from the house, the homeowner is having to get a new foundation under an existing house because of it
if its already uprooted once before then I would check for root rot
ive only done a handfull of black locust, had to load 6 or 7 of them into my trailer by hand, that is the job that sold me on a mini skid, I tell you what, they weigh more than lead!
most of the ones I did were super rotten in the stumps too, id have to go look for it but I have a video somewhere that the groundie took, im spiking down to make the next cut and the stump is "breathing" as I sway the log, good thing there was one ~20ft taller and 10ft away to tie into!

Did LOD on a couple new small jobs today. It was alright. Quiet areas in the country. One site had a lot of white oaks, which is cool. Not a rare tree, but large stands of them aren't that common around here. More likely to see blacks or (swamp)chestnut oaks.

Got home and shortened grass like a dumbass. I didn't feel like it, and was gonna put it off, but it's not like I'm ever gonna feel like it, so I committed to doing the side yard to see how it went. Mind games... I knew once I started I'd finish, but starting's the hard part. Another week down...

Back