How'd it go today?

View attachment 130260

:lol: That eye is 2 inches thick, the recommended max thickness from Lincoln is 5/16, likely because of the aluminum buildup. That's why even the 3/32 wire can only weld 1/2" total thickness, in comparison I've burned literal tons of 3/32 dualshield running 1.5" fillet welds on slightly larger earthmoving equipment. I'm trying to help you out here, and keep you from having to do this again, or even worse getting you or someone hurt. You could try dual shield, or if you got a stick welder you'll be fine, 7018 is very easy to run on thicker stuff, just go uphill in small beads. Or you can try it, hopefully run it for a bit, and in the meantime practice more and get setup for doing it better once it breaks again, and then cut all the possible junk weld off before you fix it right. If it's gotta work the first time, i strongly suggest you change your plan.

View attachment 130261
ive said it twice, and I will say it again (for the people in the back) not using stick, period
and im not buying stuff to switch to dual shield (bottle, wire, contact tips, gun liner, etc)
gonna run somewhere around 450IPM with 28 volts, stringers, peen and grind between passes, do probably 5 passes to build it up nice
currently have some cheapo harbor freight vulcan E71GS BS wire in the machine and thats whats gonna be in it when I fix my machine

itll work, trust me, im forklift certified!
I appreciate you trying to help, however it doesnt work for my situation

I was going to rec climb in the back yard since it’s been two weeks out of a tree but my groundie friend calls and says our neighbor wants a large limb removed. Just ended up doing that instead. It was more fun and we got a little money for our efforts. Ended up taking 3 widow makers out as well. Quad leader red maple. No good spot high enough to do all required work. Shot 3 TIPs to work the leaders individually. Time consuming but made the most sense.

I went to the pool with my family and several in laws for some late afternoon relaxation.

Spot just brought me another baby bird. This spring's tally so far is 3 bunnies, 2 birds, and 1 mouse. I wonder where she's getting baby birds from? She's a climber. Could actually be raiding nests. On the positive side, she's been doing a good job guarding the blueberry bush. She's taken up laying under it, so the birds aren't taking blueberries. I don't have many berries, and if not for her, I'd probably have none. If that thing doesn't start making more canes, this'll probably be the last year.

ive said it twice, and I will say it again (for the people in the back) not using stick, period
and im not buying stuff to switch to dual shield (bottle, wire, contact tips, gun liner, etc)
gonna run somewhere around 450IPM with 28 volts, stringers, peen and grind between passes, do probably 5 passes to build it up nice
currently have some cheapo harbor freight vulcan E71GS BS wire in the machine and thats whats gonna be in it when I fix my machine

itll work, trust me, im forklift certified!
I appreciate you trying to help, however it doesnt work for my situation
Just wondering is this how it was repaired the first time?

Just wondering is this how it was repaired the first time?
nope, first time was the middle of the night trying to make a new (wrong) cylinder work, welder was acting up so I had to stick it
second time was in a customers garage with his welder and some old 6013, no grinder or anything, just make it work
this time will be all new round tube (thicker), new mounting eye (gonna see about making a mounting eye that goes full circle around the tube)
will also be in good positioning how I want, with my music playing and a half decent welder setup
neither of the last 2 were really meant to stay for long, just never got around to fixing them till they broke

Good luck with the fix.
thanks
imma see to it that this one goes good, nobody else allowed in the shop, gonna burn that puppy in there gutentite
might even get the engine hoist/shop crane out to hold it up so the welds are horizontal and at waist height

Had a good day with a subbed in crane. When I looked at the job two years ago I put two days with the rental crane. Relooked a few weeks ago and said a day and a half tops. Crane rolled out at 3:00 with nothing left to do but get the log truck in to haul the wood away. I really enjoy it when I mess up a bid like that. Should get tomorrow off paid for that kind of mistake😆.
IMG_6693.jpeg
70828938254__04B2787E-F14D-4380-9383-3B2F541B9949.jpeg

So I went bushwalking last week.
Western Bluff, Tasmania 1400m. 14 km round trip.
Icy, wet, slippery, boulder scrambles...AWESOME!!!

Attachments

• Western Bluff.jpg
    Western Bluff.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 24
  • Icy plateau.jpg
    Icy plateau.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 15
  • Tarn.jpg
    Tarn.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Hovering clouds.jpg
    Hovering clouds.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Made it.jpg
    Made it.jpg
    680.7 KB · Views: 24
  • thermos at the top.jpg
    thermos at the top.jpg
    525.4 KB · Views: 25
tasmania must be a rather large place to be able to contain the land in those pics as well as amazing rainforests

When your electricity goes out and you're wearing your helmet with headlamp around your apartment and it feels like you're part of a spelunking (cave exploring, especially diving) expedition minus all of the excessive moisture.

That was me last night.

Even thought I climb trees quite often at night this time of year (because it's too hot during the daytime), I consider that type of climbing to be the antithesis of cave exploration where, even though I can't see too far out from where I am, I know that I am not in a claustrophobic environment.

Last night was my "Inverse Everest." Apartment edition.

Last edited:
finished saturdays job (what broke my skid)
35 yards of trash taken to the dump, ~40 yards of topsoil spread (turns out what was under the pile was mostly dirt, which I didnt have to throw away)
they had some logs/brush in the pile we chipped, they kept the chips to burn, all in all a pretty sweet job

354472698_1466047007487224_6367958718248930470_n.jpg

Good day at work. Good times tonight listening to a few artist singing at the first night of The Country Fest. The part that sucks is now that I’m a responsible adult, I get to be the last one home and in bed because I was the only one capable of driving. Not a big deal really. Just gonna make getting to work in the morning a bit rough. Probably gonna be there before a few of them though and guarantied less of a head ache

Hazard dead wooded and removed mistletoe from this one today. Nice tree. At least 4' dbh blue oak. About 65' high. 150' rope was just enough with a high TIP, basal tie and 3 redirects to the large limb towards the fence.
Its right on the highway on an old homestead that goes back to mining era.
Been admiring that tree since I moved here in 2001.
20230615_104043.jpg 20230615_104106.jpg 20230615_104140.jpg

The pipe gate under it was the original entrance until they re did the highway and changed the grade. So they had to move the entrance down the road from the tree. Probably saved the tree from root zone compaction issues that would have shortened its life. I am sure of it.

Back