How'd it go today?

how long has it been bugging you? I knew someone would mention it some day LOL

I dont like big trees, 100+ft noodle im fine with, but when I am in a tree with limbs bigger than my thigh I start getting nervous/frustrated
I just noticed it and decided to comment to see what your views were.

In short, I would say climbing is a function of repetition so the more one does it the more comfortable, experienced and skilled they will be at it and hence more productive

so, im not productive lol
sent another climber up for one limb today because I wasnt comfortable with it, I couldnt get a good spot to stick my feet and stuff, plus hes a foot taller so that helped him some

how long has it been bugging you? I knew someone would mention it some day LOL

I dont like big trees, 100+ft noodle im fine with, but when I am in a tree with limbs bigger than my thigh I start getting nervous/frustrated
I’m getting used to those myself and they make me nervous. I slowly worked myself up to being comfortable at 100’ and now I’m working on comfort when dealing with the thicker trees (the ones you just go up with a 50cc rear handle and a 20” bar because your top handle won’t handle but a few cuts).

Such a big difference in being touched by a 50lb limb and a 500lb limb.

I believe Cory is 100% spot on about being persistent to develop your comfort levels. We just gotta keep at it.

@cory I think what @WoodCutr is saying in his signature, and correct me if I'm misrepresenting you WoodCutr, is that tree work involves being comfortable doing things that can, and oftentimes will, cause us discomfort. If we were perfectly comfortable in the trees all of the time, we might put our guards down and fail to instinctively notice things that are dangerous. Having some semblance of fear at all times is immensely protective; it protects us, others and the tree and the property it is on from getting hurt. But too much fear is detrimental to our well-being and our ability to perform any duties we may have.

Therefore, I see his signature as a play on words because how can you be comfortable at being uncomfortable? It is a paradox and therefore meant to illustrate the importance of staying on one's feet in a manner that is graceful and shows confidence and doesnt negatively affect our quality of life. It doesn't preclude anyone from becoming more comfortable at their craft; in fact that's half of the paradox.

That's just my personal interpretation of what he has as a signature.

Last edited:
@cory I think what @WoodCutr is saying in his signature, and correct me if I'm misrepresenting you WoodCutr, is that tree work involves being comfortable doing things that can, and oftentimes will, cause us discomfort. If we were perfectly comfortable in the trees all of the time, we might put our guards down and fail to instinctively notice things that are dangerous. Having some semblance of fear at all times is immensely protective; it protects us, others and the tree and the property it is on from getting hurt. But too much fear is detrimental to our well-being and our ability to perform any duties we may have.

Therefore, I see his signature as a play on words because how can you be comfortable at being uncomfortable? It is a paradox and therefore meant to illustrate the importance of staying on one's feet in a manner that is graceful and shows confidence and doesnt negatively affect our quality of life. It doesn't preclude anyone from becoming more comfortable at their craft; in fact that's half of the paradox.

That's just my personal interpretation of what he has as a signature.
what I had in my head upon writing it was a very dumbed down version of what you said, basically, climbing is physically un comfortable and you have to be comfortable dealing with that to climb

I like yours more!

Boss texted me, and no fieldwork due to smoke. Probably just doesn't feel like working. I've worked with far more smoke from the cigarettes that were always in my mouth :^D I guess I'll shorten grass this morning, and maybe watch some Star Trek. Not much else I feel like doing.

shoving off in a few to have some guy stick stuff in my mouth all day, if I post a bunch of dumb stuff then im probably just high lol
im not excited, shoulda gone a year ago when it was just a cavity

Smoke bad here. AQI is 393 this morning. We are at the epicenter of the highest concentration at the moment.
Drove to Philly airport to pick up the CA kids last evening. As I drove to the airport it got progressively worse. You could not see downtown Wilmington from 495, and could not see NJ across the river - usually both are clearly visible and easily seen!

IMG_4970.jpeg
IMG_4967.jpeg

Smoke yesterday was bad and we worked, smoke today was supposed to be worse so I cancelled the job, waaa woke up to extremely light smoke, shoulda worked

Set up some fans with good filters will help.in the house. MERV 13 filter on a box fan will scrub the air pretty good.
Might be in short supply though.
I think we were able to order them on line once the stores ran dry

Just shortened grass. Thank god I got to it! It definitely looks... shorter now. Thanks to the 0.5% of the population that pushes us forward as a species. If left to the other 99.5%, we'd be shortening grass and banging rocks together :^S

I stopped to trim around my chestnut with my knife, and got distracted by my phone. My neighbor saw me and asked if I was ok cause I was sitting on the ground slumped over. I thought that was nice of her. Chestnut's looking pretty good. It doesn't have the huge magnificent leaves it had at first leaf, but it seems to have recovered from the trauma of being planted twice and being eaten by deer.

IMG_20230608_095533312_HDR.jpg

shoving off in a few to have some guy stick stuff in my mouth all day, if I post a bunch of dumb stuff then im probably just high lol
im not excited, shoulda gone a year ago when it was just a cavity
well, im back
didn't feel a thing, some septocain and gas, was awake but don't remember much, so far it doesn't hurt (still numb) eating is a bitch tho, my jaw is sore from being propped open so long
go back in a month to get my permanent crown, not terrible

Smoke yesterday was bad and we worked, smoke today was supposed to be worse so I cancelled the job, waaa woke up to extremely light smoke, shoulda worked
Are these forest fires? Or controlled burnings? Or something different?

Set up some fans with good filters will help.in the house. MERV 13 filter on a box fan will scrub the air pretty good.
Might be in short supply though.
I think we were able to order them on line once the stores ran dry
That sounds like great advice to me, regardless of the cause.

EDIT: I'm gathering that these are wildfires. We have a lot of those around near where I live. The smoke and sediment travel for miles and miles and it can really pollute air quality. Arizona's air quality is already substandard.

Last edited:
I'm about 99% sure I'm getting a nail in atleast one trailer tire tomorrow, gonna be lots of dump runs throwing a deck/building supplies pile away

I should keep spares, but oh well, slime and bacon straps it is

edit to add
this job is from the lady that used to run the phones for my crane company, the operator/owner recommended us
there is some crane slings (old but good enough for pulling equipment out) in the pile from where they pulled logs to it, so yay free slings!

Last edited:
Came up with some new friction hitches. The SIMPLICITY and the SWIFT hitches, all part of my compilation of hitches which attempt to bring hitch tying back to its basics. My goal (in part) is to prove that the amount of ways which a doubled piece of hitch cord can be tied are so numerous that there still exist plenty of high quality, simple hitches out there ready to be discovered by anyone so inclined (like myself). The aforementioned hitches can be found here...

There is one that can be found on page 13, the previous page, called the FELICITOUS hitch which also follows these parameters. More to come soon!

Thanks! :smoker: :dance:

Sounds like Canada is experiencing what Australia did with our Black Summer bushfires 2019-20.
Its not good.

kinda random, but has anyone here painted a chipper? I want to paint mine either bright pink or original bandit yellow, prefferably original DuPont Imron epoxy paint (or similar cheaper options, its a chipper not a ferrari, waste of money to do perfect paint)

Quick thought: Let's not forget that SOMETIMES, but not always, wildfires are nature's way of regenerating the earth, allowing important nutrients to re-enter the soil, and creating new habitats for plants and animals to thrive. Obviously it's horrible if someone loses their property to a wildfire.

EDIT: It is advisable to clear a perimeter of growth from around your property if you live in a wooded environment prone to fires. But I'm preaching to the choir.

EDIT: @WoodCutr An all-pink chipper would be pretty freaking sweet. As the saying goes, "Real men wear pink."

Last edited:
EDIT: @WoodCutr An all-pink chipper would be pretty freaking sweet. As the saying goes, "Real men wear pink."
mom dont like the idea, told me my dad would quit working for me if I painted it lmao
also told me id be making a joke out of my business, but honestly I think its brilliant!, functional, high viz, and people seem to love it

348378404_1387124022144746_4213962363147750656_n.png

I don't like pink, especially pastel versions, but glo pink really stands out. It's my goto color for high viz stuff. Company name and logo in black should be pretty memorable in the sea of yellow machines.

Back