How'd it go today?

Haha.

Today i was on my run… a 10 miler…. Towards the end there’s this guy smoking a cig watching his dog pee… he starts looking at me.
i say Good morning. I tell him that I used to smoke a pack a day for ten years, and that there’s still hope…..

Then I said sorry for sounding like an asshole and ran away thinking Why did I talk to strangers? Im an idiot.
Anyhoo thought I’d share.

I got set up with some real tree work with Other real tree climbers…. Big project up in the bay.
Theyre paying well and an Airbnb.Ill get pictures, should be juicy.

Had a headache all day. Not constant, but regular pulses make me feel half sick after awhile. I spent most of the day sleeping/trying to sleep, so I wouldn't feel it. I think I have some kind of infection going on in my head that's causing it; maybe sinuses or ears. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

• Sad
Reactions: Raj
Sweet new avatar, No Bivy.

Why'd ya change it up?

Speaking of martial arts luminaries, I'm reading Rickson Gracie's book Breathe, it's quite good so far.

Then I said sorry for sounding like an asshole and ran away thinking Why did I talk to strangers? Im an idiot.

I think it's cool to talk to strangers on occasion.

I tend to do it a lot on vacation. I'd like to think I'm a kind person and also courteous, so I try to spread some good vibe.

Another biggie is courtesy at intersections, I say Go on thru, I'll wait no problemo. :dude:

Courtesy at an intersection but me in the ass today. I arrived first, but with towing a 34’ camper, I decided to let the little Honda Civic through. The road turns to 55 mph just out of town and is rather curvy. The SOB did 40 mph for the next 17 miles! I ran no less than 5 under the speed limit on the way down. Damn Sunday driver

Haha.

Today i was on my run… a 10 miler…. Towards the end there’s this guy smoking a cig watching his dog pee… he starts looking at me.
i say Good morning. I tell him that I used to smoke a pack a day for ten years, and that there’s still hope…..

I got set up with some real tree work with Other real tree climbers…. Big project up in the bay.
Theyre paying well and an Airbnb.Ill get pictures, should be juicy.

Well, Deva...to fully qualify as a run-by asshole, you'd have had to kick the dog a couple of times, in passing...:D.

I think it's cool to talk to strangers on occasion.

I tend to do it a lot on vacation. I'd like to think I'm a kind person and also courteous, so I try to spread some good vibe.

Another biggie is courtesy at intersections, I say Go on thru, I'll wait no problemo. :dude:

Absolutely, we’re all trying to get where we’re going without incident, I am as nice as pie, very forgiving of errors in others, ’After you Claud’ and all that stuff.

Complete opposite of me as a younger man (before a big accident)

I wrote in a post that the gods hate me. That actually isn't true. I think I'm pretty cool with the gods. There's been numerous times I'd have gotten killed and/or maimed if the minutest detail was changed. I've never even had a broken bone. I guess I was given back issues to keep me humble, but otherwise things have gone reasonably well.

It was an O K day three silver maples a few bigger lower limbs and some sucker growth. Got chased off of the site due to a thunder storm just got back to the shop before the 1" hail and just enough time to open the doors and get the trucks under roof with the chipper out the door. Pretty wild. Gotta go back tomorrow and chip.

Went to the city today to locate the falling building for probably the last time. Sounds like they're gonna tear it down. Apparently ceilings and stuff are collapsing inside. Here's a side view, and you can see where the facade is really pulling away from the rest of the building...

20210909_095207.jpg

And I am sure people walk by everyday and do not realize that the building is slowly collapsing. Major Cluster fack ready to happen there.

Did they just install those "earthquake bars" (that's what I call them)? The ones at the facade look angled.

I think there was two already there when the job started, and I don't believe either are in that pic. There's also rods going the other way front-back to keep it together.

The whole thing's kind of a shame. I don't know what the condition of the original replaced building was, but it seems to me if they had left it where it was, none of this would have happened. Generally speaking, I'd like to see more old buildings left in place. This wasn't any huge treasure, but a lot times they tear down architectural masterpieces and replace them with some ugly ass cube. The artful history and heritage gets replaced with generic efficiency.

True. But maintaining an old building costs a ton too, especially an old brick one with hardly any tension members. Remember the huge condo that collapsed in fl killing hundreds? Tear that neglected and structurally ruined pos down before it comes to that.

Why can't they build old fashioned style buildings, but improved with modern techniques? Nobody has the skills these days? Why does modern architecture have to be overly simple in appearance?

Cost. You see it from houses to highrises. Houses have gotten progressively simpler over the decades. Even a modest house back in the 30s had interesting trim inside. Everything now has been simplified to the point of almost not existing, but hey, at least they got a house twice as big as they really needed, cause cleaning is fun!

Got visited by these two today...

IMG_20210910_103222.jpg Had some wasabi soy almonds in a bottle, and I made the mistake of eating in front of them. They were *very* interested in what I had, and got right in my face. Had to put the almonds away. If I knew they were coming out, I'd have brought them an apple.

A little later at a different setup, I had a drunk squirrel running in circles 12' away. Dunno what he got into. It's a little early for fermented fruit. Maybe some old birdseed.

Modern architecture isn't simple in appearance, and they often mimic older stuff for looks. They also still do stuff the old way, it's just very expensive because it's labor and material intensive. We've come a long way from stacking rocks and calling it a structure. Masonry used to be used for a ton of stuff, but what we've since learned is that it's great in compression, but any tension loads on it rip it apart, so buildings would fail unexpectedly. Now they use all sorts of rebar and wire to add tensile strength, but brick really doesn't take to that like block does, where you have the thickness built in to hide the tension members. Block is much much faster too since it's more surface area per unit, and is easier for adding electrical and plumbing. Brick is often many layers thick for larger walls, which adds to the cost even more. I would bet the walls there are almost 2 feet thick. Masonry doesn't insulate worth a damn either, and is porous as well. It's also heavy, so you need more foundation, which drives costs up even more. This is why most everything is either block or precast, or ironically siding made from concrete, which is easier to maintain than wood.

Back