How'd it go today?

I've largely avoided legal drugs throughout my life, and the last bunch of years, the illegal one's too. I figure if nicotine, caffeine, or alcohol can't fix it, it doesn't need to be fixed :^P

Seriously though, aside from the rare antibiotics, I don't really take anything. Chronic low level pain I can deal with, and when it gets acute, I just wait it out. Aside from TigerBalm, I can't remember the last otc medicine I've bought. I was probably about 20. Decided then it wasn't worth the cost and side effects that weren't much better than the original symptoms.

I reckon I take 12g of paracetamol and 4g of ibuprofen every two weeks, sometimes more sometimes less.

(Some aspirin and codéine thrown in on occasion)

12 grams doesn't make sense nor 12mg so what do ya mean

that seems like a lot for every 2 weeks but I'm not a doctor and you likely have an iron constitution, given your outlook.;)

John,fwiw I too am anti drug but I won't bat a eye at taking some advil to carry on vs chilling out and waiting it out which may not be effective anyway

Kyle, it's not an absolute. Ibuprofen is hell on some people's kidneys. Certainly not all. And 400mg is a very mild dose, on a daily basis.

I have no trouble tolerating ibuprofen, have been taking it for decades on an as need basis. My doctors have been and continue to be fine with it, for me. My current doc advises no more than 1200mg per 24 hours as a general thing, but allows me 2400mg per 24 hours if I'm really needing it. Which I haven't since my hip replacement.

I was talking about people eating 4 200 mg pills every 4 hours or so, aka the prescription dose. I was doing that right before the whole ordeal I've been thru, and they thought my numbers were off because of the ibuprofen. Obviously it escalated quickly from there, and the subsequent surgeries have me super careful anymore. If they never touch my kidneys again it'll be too soon. The otc dose is 400 i think.

i threw out my back a few years ago and ate more ibuprofen then was proper 1000 mgs at one pop out of desperation and as a result got an incredible case of tinnitus that lasted a few weeks. felt like an alarm going off in my head. I had no tolerance built up so 1000 mgs hit me hard. its a common documented side effect of overdose and can sometimes be permanent and can sometime cause total hearing loss. ibuprofen also decays your cartiledge. ive stayed clear of the stuff since then. scared of it.

it takes away the pain, but also your natural joint cushioning. evil shit as far as im concerned.

Just like the antacids, long term use will mess you up. It's better to change your diet and fix the actual problem.

Does MD have legal cannabis yet? CBD is really quite good for reducing inflammation/ muscle tension. you can buy It at gas stations here now, pretty convenient.

Prescription dose of ibuprofen is 600mg, taken at least 6 hours apart. Maximum 4 doses in 24 hours.

Hard to blame a drug for one's bad reaction if you don't follow the instructions.

Medical is legal, and there's rumblings of trying to get recreational passed. I have seen cbd stuff on the shelves of "normal" stores. I could give that a try. I suppose I could also just smoke weed :^D I can get pretty much all I want at zero cost, but I don't really smoke anymore. I never was super enthused about it, but I smoked my share back in the day :^D

I've opted to alternative natural supplements to help control inflammation and only resort to stuff like Aleve to handle extreme flare ups as needed. IMG_20210227_200107.jpg Here's a picture of part of my daily regimen. The Co Q10 is to counter some negative effects from having to take a statin for cholesterol issues.

Prescription dose of ibuprofen is 600mg, taken at least 6 hours apart. Maximum 4 doses in 24 hours.

Hard to blame a drug for one's bad reaction if you don't follow the instructions.
very true. it was a really dumb thing to do. at that moment the pain was so unbearable i could not think. And i know lots of people that consume way more than 1000 mgs a day everyday. i didnt calculate that those people have built up to that kind of dosage. after that experience, it caused me to research it a bit and I concluded the detrimental effect it has on cartiledge, kidneys and hearing made me just decide to stay the hell away. this also put me on a path on figuring out why i was having trouble with my knees and back and Ive made some lifestyle changes including throwing out our couch and other activities or non activities that cause muscle atrophy and skeletal missalignment. Driving is the worst. A remedy that destroys your bodies natural pain management system over time is not a solution. lots of folks eat the stuff like candy on a regular basis. I want to do things that build cartiledge, anything that is even in small doses a detriment to that or to my fragile hearing or kidneys i don't want anything to do with.

But if you can't sleep or relax, I guess you have to do what you have to do at that moment.

Back