How'd it go today?

Needs some minor work. New antenna for two way. New seat covers. Some clean up and new batteries. Good 50 Hp Honda 4 stroke. I have a 15hp merc 2 stroke for a troller and port motor. Also an electric troller I'll mount up. Has a fish finder. I figure the motor has as much or more value than the trade. No back registration fees. So pretty clean Trade.

How long does something like that take Jim? Looks time consuming.

I had an easy but frustrating day. My gun decided it didn't feel like working anymore before the job was 100% finished, That's happened before, but I've always gotten it going again. I'm 80% sure it's either sun, or radio frequency related. Got it back to the office, worked fine there. Ate lunch, then changed the oil in the truck.

Might have my first paying tree gig this weekend. In reality, I probably won't charge anything cause I've known this guy forever and consider him a friend, but it'll be my first "contract". He's the dirt foreman for one of our main clients. A neighbor's maple fell on his maple/house, and crunched some of it. He wants the tree on the ground. Told him I'd look at it, but no promises. I'll probably go up Saturday with my gear, and see if I think it's within my ability without making things worse.

If I can't cover my screwups with cash, I won't do the job. I'm just looking to get more tree experience, and have some fun. I don't think I want to run a tree care business(or run a business of any kind as far as that goes).

If I could craft my ideal job, it would be working for some old timer who's winding things down, but could use some occasional help. Someone that knows what they're doing. Not a busted pickup tree hack. In exchange for cheap help, I could learn some stuff.

I thinned a strip of 100 year old Beech right next to a County road, where every tree could reach the road.
I really don't like doing that.
I always end up setting too beefy hinges out of paranoia, and working myself to death, pounding wedges.
Dropping a tree across a road is kind of a career ending thing.
Especially if you hit a car.
But, being the most experienced guy on the team, it falls to me.
Some of the trees had old felling marks on them from when we marked trees with a knife, so some faller had given up on then years ago.
I managed to get them all down and didn't hit any cars.

Well done, Stig. Reminds me of my halcyon USFS days, going solo up against the hazard to roadway trees. I never lost one, but I still occasionally have a bad dream where that scenario rears it's ugly head.

I found a big cottonwood today leaning pretty far over the road and a telephone wire. Last time I saw a tree doing that, it was down and cut up after the next storm came through.

I'll never know. It was kind of a land mark tree to me, since the lean and variety of it stood out. Then one day all that was left was a stump on one side, and the top of it on the other.

Another long day of classes and “networking”. Met @BeerGeek and had a good time ( at least i feel so) bit was cut off to attend more classes. Did some more “ networking” and headed back to my hotel. Thought I would get one last beer and had to spend two hours diffusing a situation so no one ended up in jail or the hospital. I guess the good news is the hotel bar gave me a few free drinks for tomorrow night as a way of saying thanks. I just want to sleep.

I hear those pruning cut debates can get pretty heated!

Sounds interesting, chatting to other tree guys in person,I only get to do it on the internet.

Thanks @treebilly, it definitely was good time spent. Appreciate the insight you gave me into your dealings w/the business side of things that may be scenarios I'll have to deal with down the road.
The classes I was in definitely were helpful for my level, and did get intro'd to some other tree people, but didn't meet any other Treehousers. Looks lie @Bodean got in late yesterday aftternoon, so hopefully we hook up today (and any others).

Back