How'd it go today?

Tried to stump grind Friday. Hub on the main bearing is walking away on the shaft, also the grinding wheel drive belt is dry rotting and cracking. Time to replace both parts early next week so we don't fall far behind on stumps (already have 3 customers in the queue). Somewhat dreading the two pines that that are carpeted with poison ivy all around the stump, but so far after the takedown Thursday I only have one tiny dot of it on my arm. Grime Boss wipes save the day again!

I'll add those wipes to my poison oak kit. They go along perfectly with the youtube video I posted somewhere here of a urisheal (sp) researcher who clearly demonstrated that oil sticking to the skin more like axle grease and wiping it off with a cloth being very effective.

Jim that is a great experience and story to share.

View from the roof, Ficus lyriata cut back from the gutters and AC

Attachments

• IMG_20180515_143256.jpg
    IMG_20180515_143256.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20180515_143324.jpg
    IMG_20180515_143324.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20180515_143050.jpg
    IMG_20180515_143050.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 24
Bermuda roof, made from overlapping slates of quarried limestone, cemented together then rendered and painted. This is how we catch rainwater that then goes into the tank under the house.
The overlaps help slow the water down a bit so it doesn't all shoot off at high speed...

Specially formulated paint just for Bermuda roofs... Used to be just lime wash.
It's a bit powdery, my butt and knees were all white by the end of the job.
And it's not only a bit of paint residue going in the tank, leaf litter bird poop, salt... And we usually throw a few guppies in the tank to eat any mosquito larvae that might get in...
We a healthy lot...

It would be hilarious I bet if we could hear what they are thinking.

I think I see a bit of that soil blowing away, one of the downsides to organic, right?

Soil temps can get too high? I dint know that. I mean sure anything taken to an extreme is no good but sounds like you are saying tilled ground allows soil temp to get higher than optimal compared to untilled ground?

Specially formulated paint just for Bermuda roofs... Used to be just lime wash.
It's a bit powdery, my butt and knees were all white by the end of the job.
And it's not only a bit of paint residue going in the tank, leaf litter bird poop, salt... And we usually throw a few guppies in the tank to eat any mosquito larvae that might get in...
We a healthy lot...

So do you drink it or not? No?

Parents often tell younger parents to enjoy this time because it goes so fast Jim.

My thought when I see that picture is your tractor driving days are numbered. I was down in our apple orchard with my Dad when he quipped that he wished the truck were closer. I offered to move it, at all of 5 or 6, and he said okay. It turned out I hadn't watched him as closely as I thought I had and needed to run back and forth for more instruction a time or two. Our "Tin Lizzy" was an old 2 ton truck to haul long props and ladders that had an ignition key, choke or throttle knob that needed to be used, foot throttle to pump for start up, and separate foot plunger to step on to engage the starter. Got it going and Dad came scrambling down off the ladder to make sure it got stopped.

Anyway, good to see your sons enjoying you and farm life so much. They are rich like only a modest number of kids get to be today.

So do you drink it or not? No?

Yes. These days some people filter it, but, keep your roof clean your are OK.
The pickup inside the tank is slightly above the bottom, allows sediment to settle and not get sucked up. Every so often you give the entire tank a complete clean out, patch if necessary, cement wash and refill and off you go again.

Precious picture Jim, Daniel obviously feels safe and secure with dad.

Today went well. Nasty arroyo with brush piles in it. Steep, rocky rattle snake habitat. Guy left piles from chopping young tree of heaven, poison oak, toyon and live oak. Few years old. So I set a high line and made a yarding set up in trees so we had height. Parked the chipper and trailer on a landing near the bottom rigging point. Set a haul back up top and winch at the bottom. Then I made a long needle with an eye with some 3/8 rebar. Stick through brush pile, pull rope through, hook back to self to make choker. Haul back on porty locked. Winch pulls line tight around brush and up the pulley hanging from the trolley she goes. Let out line from haul back porty and the whole mess goes down 160 feet of line to the landing. Wash rinse repeat. Filled the 10 foot dump trailer about it 3' deep. Just from the gulley. We chipped more brush up top the dingo could get to on the hill. Thought it might take 9-10 hours and got it done in 6. Found one 2' rattler. Needle worked a treat. No bites. ;)

That winching musta made your heart soar like an eagle;)

Back