How'd it go today?

Many cities around me require homeowners to get a permit to remove a tree. Along with $ they mandate how many trees you must plant to replace one you are removing. The most I have heard of is 6 fifteen gallon replacement trees to replace one four foot dia pine tree I was to remove. Or....$150 per replacement tree into the cities tree fund. (Yep $900)

My wife talked them down from that asinine position to...... we plant one tree. (I love my wife!!!) That was on a 12 ac property that was heavily planted in Eucs and other trees. The one we were removing was dyeing and over primary powerlines next to the road.

A possible resource to give you interesting ideas is ( safetree.net ) put up by our local power company. They had a page with listings of trees that grow to heights under the powerlines, or at least will give them less maintenance headaches. I see that page is unavailable right now.

If you wanted more info to work with Joel go and have a enjoyable conversation with those homeowners. I'll bet they saw it as basically free tree removal .

In other words, trees would still be up it they would of had to pay and get their own contractor.

Merle,

Many thanks, my friend, for the fantastic input on this topic. I have a feeling that you're right concerning the free tree removal, but I can't be sure on that and I highly doubt that all of the people involved would be totally honest with me. This uncertainty, as it relates to truthfulness, makes the fact-finding mission quite difficult for me.

I'm approaching this very carefully. I don't want to make any enemies. It's quite obvious that all the screaming and shouting I'm possibly capable of would never revive the trees that have been lost to this form of cruelty.

My goal here is to simply replace the trees that have been lost in this process. I can't undo the damage.....but through these needed discussions I may help save a few trees from becoming needless casualties in this battle.

Joel

I'd swear this is the last little birch vid, but. . . maybe not. 8)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/904vf6CLLew" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Possible solutions involve replacement of the trees at different locations, either through State Forestry grants, or vouchers offered by the utility companies. An eye for an eye.....or rather... a tree for a tree. I'm working on it. I'll keep you folks posted as the discussions progress.

Joel

Sounds like a tough job, we and the townsfolk there are lucky to have you on the case. Good luck!

Joel,

Olympia's tree permitting info is all online.

A minimum tree density must be maintained for most non-sensitive residences. No permit required. Commercial and people who will fall below this minimum tree-units from a removal must get a permit. Easy, if you're in compliance, do nothing.

Does everyone measure or stay above the minimum? no.

Is it more sensible than slow clear-cutting, like a neighboring city, where you can remove 5 healthy trees/ 3 years? I'd say.

Approach homeowners with good info on planting, selection for you location and desired values, inproved real estate values, etc, and Right Tree, Right Location.

As the city forester for the city of Cando, North Dakota, I have the daunting task of trying to resolve the issue of trees disappearing at an alarming rate, due to electrical utility company pruning. Some of these trees are located on private property, where the homeowners have agreed to allow this type of thing. Regardless, the number of trees involved is fairly alarming to me. I'm working toward finding a solution that is suitable to all parties involved.

This is just a small sample of the situation I'm facing. I'll keep everyone here posted as to the outcome of the discussions I'm having with the city, utility company, state forestry office, etc.

Joel

View attachment 67129View attachment 67130View attachment 67131View attachment 67132

That last one...a conifer, spruce maybe?

That tree has just been kilt dead...not pruned.

Burnham,

I agree. That tree has been kilt. Me thinks the homeowners are receiving free tree removals from the local utility company. When anything is free.....the number of people waiting in line gets very large, and quickly.

Joel

And then there's this...

walking-dead-season-1.jpg

I'd say it would be two stage removals. None of what is pictured is acceptable, as it is now, for any line clearance I've ever seen (though I've seen some pretty bad things done as I'm sure many of us have).

Yah a ROW contractor up here would never do all that extra hacking for free. It'd be get the specified clearance and move onto the next span. If a homeowner wanted that kind of additional hacking someone would have to pay for it.

Peter wouldn't a contract like this be put out to bid? If not that's totally different than how it works here.

Here it would be a bid contract with clearly defined parameters. Any kind of over cutting like that you for one wouldn't be able to charge more for, it would be a set bid price. And two could probably land you in some hot water unless you could prove it was a privately owned tree and they'd agreed to the work.

Progress report:

I have set up an appointment to attend the electrical utility's board meeting, scheduled for the last Monday of this month. I called the utility provider and informed them that I would like to be placed on the calendar. I then called the State Forestry office and spoke with the coordinator for all urban foresters in the State and asked if she'd like to be present to help me through the discussions. She gladly accepted the invite.

We intend to present a plan to the utility company that would allow for vouchers for replacement trees for those destroyed by this type of activity. We may not end up with any tree replacement vouchers, but I have a feeling that after seeing these photos the Board of Directors will see to it that this sort of activity is immediately halted.

I'll keep you folks posted as to the outcome of the meetings.

Joel

I really like old houses. So much character in a 100 year old house. Often the floor plans are funky, or been remodeled, but they are still cool.

I was in a big two story job today, full basement, porch front and back, lotsa bed rooms up stairs. Just cool.

One thing I hate about old houses is bat shit in the attic, and plaster and lath on the interior walls and ceilings.

Had a chimney fire in this big sucker today. Pulled walls and ceilings all afternoon. Makes me appreciate sheet rock! Tired but saved the house.

Back