How'd it go today?

I worked for a nit picking young lady last week, she was one for the ages. You ever notice that those people get the lower quality jobs, not on purpose, it just happens, cuz they mess up The Flow. The best way for the custy to get the best job is simply Don't Be Home.

If you leave me alone and let me do what the invoice says, I will do my best. Babysit and badger me and I'm doing everything I can to get out of there.

That's what I hate about pruning. The 'nitpicking'. I love the question from the customer when you're done, "Oh don't you think that piece/limb/whatever should come off too?". I answer honestly, "No obviously I don't, or it'd be gone".

Removals you get a stump, although the real nitpickers will try to pick over an inch of stump. Bite me.

A guy put a hold on a check to me once over "an inch" on the stump. Dead serious. Never even called to complain. Put a hold on the check. I was heated. He was an evening alcoholic it turns out. Irrational guy.

Dropped my saw 60 feet out of a locust tree yesterday. Smashed it pretty good. Bought a new one later that day. The shop said there were some changes on the 201's after a certain serial number. Not sure what thoes changes are but I swear the new one runs a lot faster. Old saw is apparently fixable. I did need a new back up saw anyway after someone used are last one as a wheel chuk

Don't feel too bad.. I dropped the Wraptor from 70 foot up that black oak we were working on.
Apparently Paul Cox build stuff tough as does Tanaka. Only broke the gas tank, bent a couple bolts that hold the tank and broke the hub cover.
Gas tank got here in two days and it flies once again. Good to have the SRT kit handy ;)

Weird thing happened today.
I got a call from a landscaper we help out now and again. They were building a fancy fence and now the HO had decided that he wanted 3 beech trees taken out before the fence closed the area off.
They had already set the posts, so it had to be done pronto.
I went and looked at it and figured I was wasting my time, because when the HO heard the price, he'd change his mind.
Ho comes out,youngish guy, we talk it over, and I tell him that because of the fence posts ( Which are set in concrete, so can't really be moved) we can't get to the trees and will have to speedline as much out as possible and manhandle the rest, so it'll cost him 6 big ones.
" I figure it would cost me that I was be dumb enough to let them set the fence first, when can you do it"?

Normally around here, once it gets beyond a couple grand, they decide they like the trees after all.
I looked him up on the net. Senior vice president of our biggest bank.
That explains it.

Probably be a good place to do an impressive speed line job.
He might tell some of his buddies about us and bring in more work for people who can afford it.

Don't feel too bad.. I dropped the Wraptor from 70 foot up that black oak we were working on.
Apparently Paul Cox build stuff tough as does Tanaka. Only broke the gas tank, bent a couple bolts that hold the tank and broke the hub cover.
Gas tank got here in two days and it flies once again. Good to have the SRT kit handy ;)

Do you untie before lowering it, Stephen? I almost always set mine with the end anchored at the ground. Ben unties, and I lower it as he guides it down. VERY seldom do I run the knot up.

Normally, I have Rob untie the base tie and we lower it after I am tied in.
It was only Dave and I and he was busy moving some brush the day before. We had not put helmets on yet as I was just re-establishing a tie in for him. FS had gotten stuck the day before, so we left a throw line in the tree so I could just pull a line up in the AM. So I clipped the safety on the Wraptor (or at least thought I had) onto my saddle and proceeded to separate the hub and ascent line. Wellllllllllllllllllllll.... Thank god no one was under the tree. Hit a major lower limb on the way down and then ground... I had a few words for myself... Chewed my arse I did.. Felt like a rookie moment.

Ha! That's where the nitpicker says, "Do you think those last few little ones with leaves should come off too?"

Got the last of the firewood in.
Neighbour's daughter did it as usual.
Since she likes to finish what she starts, she worked till 9.30 PM and stacked the last by the light of the full moon.
With the seeming inability of the last generation to do physical labour, it is nice to see, that there still are some like Clara out there.
She helped us on a takedown this week. Stood all day and fed the chipper, no complaining.
Afterwards she said, it has been real nice to work with us again:)

P1010629.JPG

Stig,

I like your idea about making a good example of expertise with your zip line...getting some more high caliber clientele sounds like a great thing.

Congrats on landing such a high dollar job.

Back